Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

An area often overlooked in prepping is that of your teeth, and the possible difficulty of getting treatment when the balloon goes up. Preventative measures now can save you whole bunch of trouble further down the track.

The first line of defense is to practice good oral hygiene, because a lot of problems can be avoided if we brush and floss routinely. The brushing, not should, but **must** include the gums front and back, which are often ignored because, (as some people feel,) they are not teeth and so don’t count. The gums can be easily infected, cause gum recession (ie, the gums recede and expose more of the tooth that should be covered by the gum and cause the tooth to loosen) and is the cause of a lot of bad breath in the world because they rot inside the mouth. (If your gums bleed and hurt when you first **gently** brush them, then that suggests they are already infected; all the more reason then to keep cleaning them each day. After about 2-4 weeks they should come good and stop hurting and bleeding and be healthy.)

I prefer electric toothbrushes because I find they are more effective in reaching and properly cleaning the hard to reach areas in the back of the mouth, and give a better clean as well. Having a solar charger to plug it into would be an advantage in a grid down situation.

There are various flossing products available today (depending which country you live in). In addition to the traditional floss tapes there are various handles that have floss attached tightly between two prongs; I like these as they make flossing a whole bunch easier to do. There are also micro brushes in various sizes that do the same job of going between the teeth and may suit some people more so than floss.

I know a lot of people hate being treated by a dentist. I don’t minimize that fear or hatred but I will say it’s better to prepare now and have all the dental work that is needed to be done and can be afforded, because if conventional allopathic medical treatment is limited or gone in a crisis then dental care will also be gone. Anyone who has gone a weekend with a painful tooth before the dentist can see them knows that they don’t want to have to go through such an experience again. If the fear of the dentist is very strong, there is often a general anesthesia option so you can at least be fully zonked out while the procedure is done and not have to be conscious through it.

If you have gaps in your jaws from extracted teeth look towards having implants if you can afford them, as teeth tend to shift position over time if open spaces are present, which can lead to additional problems. If you wear dentures look for the possibility of having a spare set made, in case something happens to the first.

Right now, before any crisis, is the time to have all such dental work done that will protect your teeth and gums, because failures in this area are one way only, and there’s no going back once your gums have receded and your teeth and roots are infected. In a crisis situation your only option may well be to have a tooth extracted by whoever is around, and infection could result in death. All this dental treatment costs $$$$$, so it’s far better to treat your mouth well now and avoid, as much as possible, having to have any of these expensive treatments.

Also remember to stock up on plenty of toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss and mouthwash in your supply stash. Get a lot if you can, because you don’t know how long you will have before you can buy some more.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Elijah,
    Thanks so much for this post.
    Teeth care is something a lot of us overlook when prepping.
    I don’t like the dentist, but plan to go soon to have my fillings replaced and such.
    Hannah

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

tooth and gum infections can cause stroke, heart attack, and blood poisoning. prevention is the best remedy.
    Elija good post, and very important.

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

On the lighter side , remember when you were a kid , anybody telling you to tie a string around your tooth , then around a door knob to pull it ? well this is a kids show about that …even f you dont understand the language …its very cute . But good artice , epoxy and a leatherman is not something I recommend using , been there , done that .

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Important posts! But remember, you can brush your teeth with salt, baking soda, or even (yuck!) soap if necessary. Many cultures chew a twig to make a toothbrush. But DO keep them clean. Aside from the infections, it’s hard to eat wild food with no teeth…

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

http://www.amazon.ca/Where-There-Dentist-Murray-Dickson/dp/0942364058%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D0942364058

get this book and the emergency filling stuff practice it is not as easy as it sounds

get proper medical tools make sure you have a tooth extractor and a metal probe to check for left over fragments.

hope you never need to but just in case know how to….with some practice.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for the link, namelus! Will definitely check it out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.