Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vettom
    vettom
    Survivalist
    member2

Thought this might be a little humorous/different but relevant sorta too.
    For me, I had a little 25cal Ortigies (spelling?|) auto pocket pistol. Was scared to use it, was given to me anyway. chrome plated and I never shot it, put in a box and sold it to Numrich for parts.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I dont know who made it …..and it was a very old gun , but a bolt action , single shot 22 ……………why would anybody waste the steel to make something like that ?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

why would anybody waste the steel to make something like that ? — Tolik

Because hunger makes your aim very, very good..

If you have one, and only one shot, you will aim very, very carefully. Having a magazine full of rounds promotes “half-ass-ism”. Meaning “so what if I miss this shot? I got another X rounds I can throw downrange…” Having one round means you need to make that one round count.

Single shot 22’s were popular back during the depression as game-getters – put food on the families table. Damn near everyone made one. Plus, as a training rifle for younger shooters, a single shot 22 can’t be beat. Low cost ammo, no waste, slow fire, they can think about and concentrate on what they’re doing… same thing with the single shot break-open shotgun. Great farm shotgun, all around hunting shotgun and truck gun… they didn’t cost hardly anything and poor folks could use them to help feed the family…

Yours was a beater, yes? Means that it was used long and hard for its intended purpose… they were simple weapons, some more crude than others, but they did a good job and some kid a long time ago was proud as hell to own that single shot POS you had…

Just a little perspective…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Owned? A Glock 21 that went through 5 sets of internal parts to run right and not break.

Customer guns?
    Recently a Chiappa 1911 .22 and a Mossberg 715 plinker.

The list of junk guns is seemingly endless, I see a great deal, some I tell people it isn’t worth fixing and they could buy another cheaper than I can fix the junker.

Much is a matter of perspective, the highest quality gun some can afford maybe a pos new.

People forget that at one time, some dreamed of being “hundred aires”, and the $2.50 more for the repeater may be unattainable.

There was a time, a rifle or good handgun was a full months wages. Many bought what they could scrape together.

Even now, there is a reason Hi Points sell.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

All I know is that it was very old , would not be surprised if it was made in the 30’s or 40’s , it wasn’t even 22LR . I was just a kid , and It was such a bummer , that I dumped it and went back to my pellet gun ( about as powerful , and I could shoot faster ) I think my older brother traded it for something useful .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

NEF single shot break open, in 223. It was inexpensive, which was the best thing about it.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Hard to believe but a .22LR Sig. Sent to the factory twice, gunsmith once, never fired a full clip from it. Tried wide variety of ammo, never got past the first shot. Traded it to the gunsmith for a Walther. Wife loves it, shoots as smooth as silk.

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

A very poor copy of a percussion Hall-North carbine. Traded some old Bren mags that I wanted out of my garage for it as a project, wanted to clean it up and see how it functioned with blank loads. If it cleans up nicely enough and seems to function safely, I MAY test it one day with a live load. All the parts are definitely strong enough to handle live firing, I just don’t know how tight the breech closes and how much gas leaks out.

Neat thing about this gun, you can remove the tilting breech block section and that can theoretically be used as a pistol, at least for 1 shot, I don’t know how fast that mass of steel would heat up too much to keep using.

Worst that I have ever done any work on? An Indian made muzzle loading percussion shot gun a friend owned. I did not even need a vice to unscrew the breech plug from the barrel, and I could not get it tight enough afterwards to need more than a pair of vice grips to un screw it. After I cleaned up the metal and repaired the stock I returned it and told my friend about the issue, he just used it as a wall hanger with the nipple removed.

Rob

Lone Eagle
    Lone Eagle
    Prepper
    member3

Colt Post-ban AR-15, aka The Jam-o-matic. This was right after the Clinton AWB of 1994, and Colt redesigned their AR series for the ban. It spent more time at Colt than at the range before I dumped it at a gun show.

Never challenge a man who has nothing left to lose.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

I have been lucky no POS guns, some i own are expensive  some are cheap, I generally find best way to  not get POS even in cheap ones is to research first. Most long service  military rifles  are both durable and accurate  and since produced in mass numbers fairly cheap.  To gt into cheap range look for ww2 battle rifles you can find deals on some of them and find at estate sales  brought home by grand dad stuff needs tlc but works well.

The one exception to the long serving is the m16 rifle. the ar 15 platform is good now but  you should really do homework before getting one.

If you want plain functionality hard to beat a good revolver darn simple  speed loaders will help  reload and  almost impossible to break under normal  circumstances. it also  like malgus says  slows your shooting knowing you have 6 and they have 10+ usually makes you take your time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.