Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Here’s my post about dealing with “that time of the month” from a prepper point-of-view. If you’re of the male persuasion, feel free to stick around if your brave enough, other wise save the topic and point it outto your wives. Then click away to some other article.

I’m going to continue now as if I knew you and as if this was something that applied to you… ahem… thanks, men, for going….or sitting back quietly in the corner and just taking this in.
    (If any one has questions feel free to ask, I’ll do my best to answer.)

Ok were alone…ok will somewhat
    (Hint to Jay if you made it this far, a place for this type of stuff may be needed.lol)

Here are some options
    The job of a menstrual cup is to collect flow in a cup instead of a tampon or pad. Instead of changing it every few hours you empty it once a day, and reuse it up to 5 years. Comes in two sizes, and has a little tab you trim to fit, to make removal easier and less messy. I haven’t used it so I can’t review it here. It’s $40 and lasts a year or two. When I first heard about it, I found it at my local “natural foods” store, but the price tag was too steep. But you can now get them on Ebay for cheaper.
    cup
    *********************************************************************************************************************************
    Next is something called “Instead cup”. It’s $7-9 for a package of 14, but I have only found it at (canadian Walmart, Shoppers drug mart), or (american Walgreens.).

Each cup is supposed to be used once (for up to 8 or 12 hours) and then discarded. Also, the instructions say to remove the cup completely and rinse it out (if you’re out during the 8 hours and want to empty it) however I have friend who it found much easier and less messy to just catch the edge of the ring and tip it out. It’s easier to simply push it back up instead of completely taking it out and reinserting it. She has said the after her first cycle doing it the rinsing and replacing way, She began using one cup per period and hasnt had any trouble of any kind doing it that way. I heard that they now make another version to be used for this way (one each menstrual cycle). Here’s a picture:
    instead
    It’s an extremely flexible ring with a plastic, cellophane-like cup. The cup is crumpled in the middle of the ring and thus comes flat in the individually wrapped packages. To insert it, you pinch the ring flat and insert it similar to a tampon. Here’s the video: –

There are two interesting things to note when looking at the Instead cup from a prepper point-of-view. First, the amount of sheer cubic storage needed to store a year of supplies is very low. if you bought one package of Instead cups and one box of 60 of pantiliners you’d be set for a year. TWO BOXES! Less than $15 probably. If you invested in some washable pads which we’ll get to next, you’d have a bigger initial investment, but they wouldn’t run out. Here is a photo of one month’s worth, so you can imagine how small a year’s supply is!
    cluster
    The other interesting thing is birth control. If there isn’t a supply of hormonal BC, the Instead cup can work like a diaphragm or cervical cap. It blocks sperm from entering the cervix and starting the trek to your eggs.
    *********************************************************************************************************************************
    Next we’ll move on to pads and tampons.
    So ok yes you bought a crap load of these. But my dear did you work out your space and just how many you will need. If SHTF is long term take what you buy monthly and start counting till you hit 12 mons, then take that and multiply it till you hit menopause. Ya thats what I thought….
    Ok so we all know the eck factor of our cycles. With a few dollars you can hit places like etsy.com or gladrags.com and search out a few differant styles and types.

bundle
    You only buy what you need for one cycle. From there your set. Ahhh yes here comes the eck factor again. You need to wash them. Yes thats true but guess what… it’ll need to be done.

It’s simple: Keep a small bucket with a lid then just pre-soak in cold water.
    Here are the specifics: If they have inserts remove from the holder; soak or pre-rinse in cold water (change the water daily). Then add your soap, and shake the crap out of the bucket, repeat till water runs clear. Wipes brow… Yeah I know being a women is hard. Next find your self a nice little hiding place and hang to dry. If your still at home, it just as easy to dump the bucket into the washer and wash then dry in your dryer.

MInd you My hubby has gotten use to seeing the cloths line hung in the bathroom over the tub and now refers to them as the horde of cloth butterflys that hang out in there.

Now if the price scared you, your in luck. I know it did for me. So next is to make your own. which can be as simple as the basic trifold pads, basically a washcloth folded in thirds, so that the whole thing unfolds for washing/drying.

If you feel up to sewing you can also take it own step closer and sew your own there is lots of online patterns that can be seen and complete tutorials as well.
    ***********************************************************************************************************************************
    Next would be tampons.
    As far as I have searched gladrags carry something called Jade & Pearl Sea Sponge Tampon.

Sustainably harvested and biodegradable, Sea Sponge Tampons are an excellent option for environmentally conscious women!
    Each package contains 2 Sea Sponge Tampons and 1 cotton storage bag. Since the sponges are are naturally occurring organisms, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
    Jade and Pearl Sea Sponge Tampons are another great reusable, all-natural internal menstrual option from the past. Sustainably harvested and naturally bleached with hydrogen peroxide, sea sponge tampons are easy to use and easy on your wallet. Your sea sponge tampons will last you at least six months.

Ok so I have covered everything I can think of…..oops. Yeah while you at it you may want to think about getting your self some cloth wipes as well. And maybe for when the time comes that the TP toilet paper runs out, even some Family cloth!!

So now that, thats done. Lets grab a cup of tea……Oh have you ever tried raspberry leaf tea? It’s been commonly labled “the woman’s tea” because of it’s effects on the uterus. It relaxes it and helps ease the symptoms of PMS and helps to regulate cycles when taken regularly.

It’s caffeine free, tastes pretty good, and it’s safe to take while pregnant, so I would assume it’s safe for breastfeeding as well (check with doc if you’re not sure). It also can help to ease cramps, bloating and menstrual tension.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Ok so if any guys stuck it out through the post, that dont have wifes on here. Maybe you may want to take things into your own hands and prep for her. Just saying!!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gpysy, I showed this one to my wife!!! I am still learning at 56!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Dont feel bad Freedom my father is 68 and he watched me type this out, then blushed and pointed a couple times. Then made his girl friend (38) look at it as well. He then took me aside and said that if she didn’t put some thing away for this he would build her a kit up himself.

George S. Patton

Profile photo of loken12
    loken12
    Survivalist
    member1

Really a huge and knowledgeable information, i also want to give women who are looking for best skinmedica products see more at http://www.skinsolutions.md, which will be very beneficial for women skins, its quit good product, i like this for my woman, thanks.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

This is awesome Gypsy. My wife really supports that we are prepping but is more into the gardening food side of things. I forwarded her this post. Great advice!

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Here I thought the recommendation was to build a second smaller retreat for the hubby to move into monthly.
    I have two daughters, I’m considering exactly that.

Good info, thanks.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Very valuable and practical info Husky.
    Thanks!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Thank you guys. I know its a bit harsh but it is something most women will have to figure out what they are going to do in this area. And I personally think the men will be thankful as well.

George S. Patton

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.