Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    I can say with certainty, I don’t like the map you posted. Melgus looks like Ky is covered, so if there is a nuke problem down there I’ll be thinking about you.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, You need to save a lot of diesel or gas since the gas stations will not work. You can also get the gas from all the cars and trucks that will be die in the streets but remember some will kill you for that car that works.

There will be a lot of hunters for cars and trucks that still run.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v That map does not cover areas were they store the spent fuel rods. No one know the locations so there is no map for the spent fuel rods.

Also if the water supply gets all of this radiation we have a big problem, we all die in time.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

free,

I don’t know where you got that map. I just spent a half an hour at the NRC’s website, crawling through it and looking for sources of potential radiation in Kentucky, which is where we live.

We got one in Paducah, but it’s not a nuke plant. Kentucky has no nuke plants, operational or otherwise. The Paducah site is a Gaseous Diffusion Uranium Enrichment Facility and has no spent fuel rods. According to the NRC and the DOE, low level waste is kept on site until it is no longer radioactive (rags, mops, protective clothing, etc) and then it is disposed of as regular trash. High level waste, like spent fuel rods, are kept on site at the respective nuke plant until a proper disposal facility has been constructed (since the Yucca Mountain facility is now not operational)…

Your map is not interactive, so I do not know where or what those little red dots are in Kentucky… according to the NRC and the DOE, Kentucky stores no nuclear waste at all, has no nuke plants and has exactly one enrichment facility which is located clean over at the toe of the state, at least 6 hours away by vehicle.

I do not know enough about EMP’s to say if regular old car batteries will be affected or not.. If I had to make a guess, I would say “not”… and then I would store a couple spare batteries for our vehicles and tractor in the Cage, just in case I’m wrong :)

The ammo cans are to keep the pieces/parts safe from the effects of oxygen (which is a corrosive element, like fluorine) and moisture. The Faraday Cage is for the EMP. I apologize if I wasn’t clear on that point – a plain old ammo can probably won’t protect against an EMP.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

That map does not cover areas were they store the spent fuel rods. No one know the locations so there is no map for the spent fuel rods. — freedom

The NRC and DOE have ruled that spent fuel rods will be kept on site at their respective nuke plants until a suitable disposal facility has been built. I seriously doubt that there are “secret” facilities – giant stockpiles of spent fuel rods – squirreled away around the US. Stuff like that, there’s no way people can keep their mouths shut and no way people would stand for having that stuff stored right next to where they live…

I have a greater concern for the Bluegrass Army Depot over in Lexington. They have the largest stockpile of chemical weapons in CONUS.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    The map is a little deceiving because each site has a circle around it indicating an potential area of contamination. Realisticly the flume path would follow prevailing wind patterns for the location. The areas affected should be pear shaped mostly extending to the east.

I think most of the plants have spent rods waiting for a designated storage facility. They are cooled in pools and will need water. Oh my..

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here is a map from Forbes click on the map!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2011/03/28/three-sites-where-you-can-monitor-u-s-radiation-levels/

If you look at this map and my map you can see what I have is the same!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, I agree that every map has some deceiving information but I would not trust the government website, look at what has happen in Japan and the information they tell there people.

The Bluegrass Army Depot over in Lexington is a problem.

Malgus read this,

http://my.firedoglake.com/cranestation/2013/06/01/the-end-of-uranium-enrichment-at-paducah-ky-plant/

And this is what there tell us only!
    The other problem is all the states around you have nuclear power plants too! If it gets into the water supply, into the rivers it just goes every were.

Also prevailing wind patterns for the locations are not always right, wind can change or storms come and the wind patterns change. It can take it 200 miles + with no problems. Also the radiation gets in the rain, into the plants and so on. The east coast would get it in the Atlantic Ocean and that goes around the world. It would only buy you some time before you would have it in your water too!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here is a map of all the nuclear power plants, there are no plants in Kentucky but there are nuclear power plant all around Kentucky so with time there will be fall out at 100 miles and sometime up to 200 miles from a plant.
    Also if an EMP happens you are locked down in Kentucky, no way out. Radiation is for 100’s of years, it’s a big problem for all of us.

If you look at all the tornadoes in Kentucky history you can see what the wind pattern can bring in from the other states around Kentucky.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Calm yourself freedom… deep breaths.. :)

That Forbes map? The map there lists Radiation Monitoring Stations, not sites where radioactive material is stored. It could be something as simple as a device on top of a building that measures particulates in the air that is checked once a month… or monitors the radiation levels in ground water…

I know all about Bluegrass. I used to work there, once upon a time. The winds that hit Kentucky are 95% from the Southwest, blowing Northeast. Every once in awhile, we get a cell out of the north that blows directly south, but those are rare enough for me to count on one hand. So even if there is some sort of catastrophic breach at Bluegrass, we’re okay.. they are an hour from here to the northeast, and given the predominant winds, we’re fine…

As far as radiation? Well, even if I invest in a Geiger counter, by the time it registers any radiation, I’m done for anyways… and, if I take that first map you posted as gospel, there’s nowhere to run. Closest safe zone to me would be central West Virginia, which is half a day’s ride from here with good weather and clear roads… Someone biffs an EMP, the interstates will be logjams. Taking backroads would make that journey twice as long… that is, if we make it and someone doesn’t shoot us for the truck and all the stuff we will have in the back…

Nah.. I’m staying here. Have to trust that I chose wisely.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, I know that the Forbe map are of Radiation monitoring stations. What I was trying to point out is look at how many there are and in the areas were there is less radiation monitoring there must be a reason.

Also the reason I am pointing this out is not because I want Kentucky to get what the rest of the country will get. It is that we all need to make the government know that we know of this. I read that it would take only 1 billion dollars to make the grid be able to take an EMP or solar flare.

This is were we the people need to make them do something about this. Even if the EMP happens we need the nuclear power plants be protected. It is hard enough to live for years without electricity and have the problem of food storage.

It is not that hard for them to protect the nuclear power plants.

Remember that even if Kentucky does not have any nuclear power plants and that I will go first, the rivers, lakes and rain all around you in time will have radiation, there are to many nuclear power plants in the East Coast!

Also remember that radiation kills slowly, you will not even know it. We just need the Government to do something about it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,

The other problem is that we all look at the government maps, if an EMP happens radiation from the nuclear power plants will go 200 to 300 miles radius since there will not be anyone to stop 100’s of nuclear power plants without trucks and emergency workers for every plant. No one will be there to stop it. That is why my map is of what they think will happen in a EMP or large Solar Flare not from a one nuclear meltdown like Japan.

In Japan the radius is 100 miles and there are still finding people sick of radiation. Storms change wind patterns.

So in an EMP the 200 to 300 mile radius will happen and the radiation radius on rivers and oceans is unlimited when 100’s of nuclear power plants meltdown.

It is unknown what will really happen and how bad it will be since it has never happen before.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/nuclear-plants-in-shtf/

Lets most the conversation on Nuclear Plants over to there. Figured something as important as that deserves it’s on thread, rather than being squirrel’d away here lol

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here is a link on a great article on EMP and North Korea. Look at the map of the burst altitude. There are many of these maps online but what I see is that all are of a middle burst altitude of the United States.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/concerned-officials-warn-north-korea-could-explode-a-high-altitude-nuclear-device-over-the-united-states_04022013

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.