Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

I have a lot of different kinds of cooking apparatuses, but the one I value the most is the one that will be my faithful companion if SHTF, I can no longer rely on electricity, my propane is gone, the briquettes are figments of my imagination, and wood is scarce at best. I can still rely on the sun on most days here in Texas, most of the year around. There have been places I have lived where the sun seldom shone, and it would be a waste to rely on the sun to cook your food. You would certainly starve.
    For me, with the sun as a favorite companion most of the year, I have my trusty Sun Oven to tide me over. No extra expenses once you have made the initial purchase, and the great thing about it is the seal around the cooking oven part that holds in the smell of food from wandering marauders that are looking for your dinner to eat.
    Some of my best meals have come from the Sun Oven. I can put some frozen pieces of meat in the pan, along with added veggies, spices and whatever strikes my fancy. I set the oven to face the sun, and I only have to check on it occasionally and move it slightly to keep direct focus on the sun. After that it is self sufficient. You won’t smell the food till you open the glass lid – it is sealed. If I was in a SHTF situation, I would carry it inside before I opened it up. You know it is done (for meat and one pot meals) when the condensate forms on the glass lid. Meat is moist and fall off the bone tender.
    I cook lots of one pot meals this way right now. I save on my propane and briquettes and wood, and as an added perk, I am learning to cook a new way. My kitchen stays cool in the summer and I am not having to air condition all that warmed up air from my cooking. It is wonderful.
    Opsec is at its best if you need to cook a meal this way. It would be wonderful if we didn’t have to plan for disaster, but it is a reality for smart people to prepare for. Therefore, I am ready. In fact I have two of them. You could use one of them to continually have water boiling to purify it. It will heat to about 350 degrees for me usually. They say it can get hotter, but I have found, for me, that this is the average/high temperatures for me. If you have a haze outside, that will slow it down, but you will still be able to cook. It just takes a little longer. You can also dehydrate in it! Great for baking!
    Now I want to go back to something I said at the beginning – to clarify. Usually when we say solar, there are batteries that the solar will be charging and that is what you use – the generated solar energy. With the sun oven, that is not the case. There is nothing here but the sun and the oven. Nothing is there to wear out.
    I love this tool of survival. It is my go-to when I am wanting a no-fuss meal.
    You can find them on the web under Sun Oven Internationale. I know there are demonstrations on line about making your own sun oven. That is cool, but I like the no-smell part of this sun oven. They cost just under $400 with all the accessories. They just had a sale on them when we bought in bulk, so that was a great reduction. It was well worth the money. Of course, you have to know that as soon as it arrives, the sun won’t shine for several days – Murphy’s Law!!

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thank you for this, libby! We don’t get a ton of sun in winter where I live, but we do get a lot throughout the summer, and this would be a nice alternative even now to heating up the house. Thanks again!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Hey anika here is a video of one being used in Canada this winter. Now its not the same one Libby has but its the same principle.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

That is pretty amazing – thank you for sharing it, Gypsy! I am definitely putting one of these on my Christmas list. What a useful thing to have in ANY situation, SHTF or not!

(Also, I am now hungry. :) )

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

I have cooked in the winter – no snow here in Texas, but cold! – and it works fine, just slower. At the end of the day, you still have a meal to eat! That is a good thing! We just like the taste of the food, the cheapness of the cooking, and the convenience on a hot summer day of a cooler house. Yes, it is more than worth the money. If they ever have another super sale, I will post it. I have purchased group quantities before and so they have me on “the list”! I don’t work for them, I just appreciate getting a head’s up when things are cheaper than usual.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.