April 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm #9891
Gypsy Wanderer HuskySurvivalist
SHTF doesn’t generally drop by at the best of times. In fact, SHTF thrives and grows exponentially under more adverse circumstances.
So, suck it up, put on your boots, and power through it – SHTF doesn’t care and neither can you!
- 1)SHTF doesn’t care about inclement weather – snow, hail, tornadoes and hurricanes all just add to the party atmosphere for SHTF.
- 2)SHTF doesn’t care that you sprained your ankle, broke your leg or are otherwise less than ambulatory. If you have to bug out without a vehicle, you have to bug out, regardless of your injury status.
- 3)SHTF doesn’t care that you decided to start prepping after the trip to Disneyworld (because that trip is expensive!!!!)
- 4)SHTF doesn’t care that you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean, regardless of what you paid for the luxury cruise. (Check out recent ill-fated Carnival Cruise of the Triumph if you don’t believe me!)
- 5)SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get your vehicle repaired. You have to evacuate regardless of the leak from the oil pan, the condition of the brakes and the funny noise in the transmission.
- 6)SHTF doesn’t care that the entire family is ill with the stomach flu. The entire family will just have to pause to throw up while bugging out.
- 7)SHTF doesn’t care that you need new hiking boots and that you just haven’t had time to get to the store and buy them.
- 8)SHTF doesn’t care that you planned to buy some bulk foods with your next paycheck.
- 9)SHTF doesn’t care that you always use electronic banking. If the ATMS are down and you have no cash, you cannot buy anything.
- 10)SHTF doesn’t care that you used all your ammo at the range and Wal-Mart has been out for the past month.
- 11)SHTF doesn’t care that the grocery store is closed because of a power outage and you only have a can of peas and some saltine crackers in the house.
- 12)SHTF doesn’t care that you are wearing high heels when your car plummets to the bottom of a ravine – you still have to climb out.
- 13)SHTF doesn’t care that the pharmacies are closed because of a pandemic and that you have no OTC or herbal medicines at home – if you catch the virus, you will suffer through it without medicine to treat it. And so will your kids.
- 14)SHTF doesn’t care that your truck is almost out of gas and the local gas stations have closed because of the disaster. If you have to bug out, you may end up walking instead of driving.
- 15)SHTF doesn’t care that you are depressed because you just broke up with your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend. S happens when S happens.
- 16)SHTF doesn’t care that you have made a rock solid plan to get in shape – as soon as the weather warms up.
- 17)SHTF doesn’t care that you are visiting your in-laws, the most unprepared people on the planet.
- 18)SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get the propane tank refilled and now the propane trucks aren’t running.
- 19)SHTF doesn’t care that your wood is not dry.
- 20)SHTF doesn’t care that you have 300 pounds of beans and rice but failed to plan on a way to cook them.
- 21)SHTF doesn’t care that you don’t know how to cook over an open fire without inflicting 2nd degree burns on yourself.
- 22)SHTF doesn’t care if you have only a week’s supply of toilet paper – if the crisis lasts longer than a week, things will be progressively less pleasant regardless of your intention to purchase more Charmin.
- 23)SHTF doesn’t care you planned to reinforce your door frame and install a metal security door – if thugs arrive to invade your home, your hollow core door will serve as a minor inconvenience instead of a deterrent.
- 24)SHTF doesn’t care if you believe the fecal matter is headed towards the oscillating device or whether you think it’s a conspiracy theory.
- 25)Whatever your excuse may be, you may rest assured, it could easily be on this list. And SHTF won’t care about that either.
Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. PattonApril 21, 2014 at 1:48 am #9974
Ha! Number 14: We were exhibiting my artwork at a wildlife show on the St Lawrence River, mid July, nice weather. Bushrat, who always plans ahead, gassed up our van immediately upon arrival. We parked our travel trailer and set up our display in the exhibition bldg. Meanwhile, the afternoon became hot and sultry.
In the middle of the night, our Lab puppy tried to climb into our bed, totally terrified–and we awoke to the fact that our trailer was lurching back and forth, rain was pelting on the roof, the wind was howling, and all was not well.
A microburst had occurred; some claimed a tornado. When dawn arrived, the town and entire area–30,000 people–were without electricity. 8 were dead. The National Guard was called out. Needless to say, the show was cancelled, but no one was allowed to leave town for several hours until some roads were cleared of downed trees and utility lines.
We were among the very few who COULD leave, since all gas pumps were down. Those trapped in motels had no AC or food… Heading down the Interstate, we saw devastation on every side. The National Guard would not allow anyone off the exits for 50 miles…and only then could anyone purchase gas for the trip home.
So stuff can happen anytime, anywhere. Be ready. Bushrat is a good man and God spared us from what could have been a personal disaster.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.