Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I have read several of Selco’s posts about food during SHTF. Some of them didn’t sound so appetizing. My kids have a saying” ketchup makes everything taste better. ” Funny but it made me think. Just adding salt to foods can make them taste much better. Salt has lots of other uses as well. Unfortunately salt doesn’t usually come in very big packages and they are often poor at keeping out moisture. Then while filling my water softener the other day it hit me, it comes in sealed
    40 lb plastic bags. It goes in our water so it must be fit for human consumption. I know it is highly diluted in our water but does anyone know if it is safe to use pure after grinding it up as table salt? At just over 4 dollars a bag it seems like a cheap source for salt already packaged for long term storage.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

I personally get http://saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=966#.U1QAfVeIBVA it is a bolivian rose deep mine salt for food with all the mirco minerals it stops cramping when doing heavy exertions for a long time.I also get the flavored hot sauce kind to add flavor to less savory things.

Just be wary of sea salt after last few things like bp in gulf and fukushima.

there are salt licks that the animals use from the feed store nothing in them seems outside human consumption, other than how clean it was processed( difference between food grade and animal)

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

My wife and I are big on storing high quality salt NOW. Lots of uses for salt.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/stories/46-smart-uses-for-salt

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Just a few added thoughts: Salt is used in some impoverished parts of the world for currency. Salt springs were treasured by our early settlers because of its usefulness. Salt was controlled/heavily taxed by the British in India–a country where salt was essential to life due to the extreme heat and need to replenish the body after sweating–and it was one focus of Gandhi’s protests. A huge group led by him went to the seashore and began making their own salt…it got many of them beaten by the soldiers but enough protestors finally caught the world’s attention (and the attention of the British govt.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.