Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

What do you,personally, think will be the influence of technology in a SHTF scenario? Do you see one? Or, do you see a return to life without tech? This is to get us to say how we think things and our current attachment to tech will play out. Love to hear myself.

Please watch this video before you reply (pardon me to some folks, don’t normally read HPost)

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

We live today in a world unlike anything even our parents couldn’t have imagined, and it’s every growing. We have come to rely upon technology for nearly everything now, which is both good and bad, but that’s not what this thread is about so I’ll leave that for your minds to ponder.

Anyway, no, there will be ZERO chance of us going back to a life without technology, since everything is of some for a tech. No, when SHTF we’re not going to be browsing the webs and stuff (in most cases), but technology just won’t suddenly disappear. There are lots of things that will be set back a few decades (communications in a way, vehicles but that’s mostly due to fuel, and so on), but many things will still be as is, or totally not relevant.

Basically when SHTF, it will break our heavy reliance/addiction on modern high tech stuff, but it will also provide us the type of world where we improve on some things (like I’ve said in other threads, research and development). Maybe we improve solar power generation and it becomes the new norm once things begin to pick up, or maybe we could improve vehicles to become much more efficient with smaller amounts of fuel. Who knows.

I see it as being vitally important in some cases, to have some more advanced technologies working for you post-disaster. Things like power generation as I said (solar, wind, etc), communications (HAM radios, CB), and for morale (kids being able to watch a movie).

Maybe it’s an EMP or CME event that fries a lot of stuff. But I’m of the mindset that if we built it once, we can do it again, just takes the right minds.

Regarding the video, that’s just how things happen. You throw a record player to the average guy my age (early 20’s) and it’ll take us a little while to figure out how to operate it, and some may not even know what it is. Rapid increases in technology makes things that once were a cultural norm for some turn into something that seems primitive and stone age to a couple generations down the line.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

A kindel or Ipad or even a laptop , to view your survival digital library with .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

That is very sad.

There is no way that technology will die out completely, it may suffer a setback but it is too much a part of modern life.

This is the same through the past.
    Older tech was replaced but not forgotten, rifles over bows, cast iron over copper, iron weapons over bronze, repeaters over single shots over muzzle loaders.

We can’t turn back the clock, short term we can adapt to adversity, but once Pandora’s box is opened, it cannot be closed.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I don’t understand why so many of those kids made an issue of using headphones; don’t they use ear buds to listen to music on their phones?

Anyway, while it’s possible for a people who have some form of technology to revert to ignorant barbarism in one generation as knowledge dies out with the older generation, I doubt this will be universal.

One reason for my view is that, for the first time in history, immense amounts of written material exists that tells the reader how to do or use certain things, or how to make them. Past civilisation collapses didn’t have the benefit of the printing press and much word of mouth knowledge died. Of course there would be a problem if books are commonly destroyed or if teaching children to read fails, but there is a better chance than before of much knowledge continuing on to later generations. I can add that for preppers who are planning for a long term or permanent collapse, a plan for educating children and collecting books about everything would be a good idea.

As for the ability to manufacture new things, this can be much more problematic because so much of our ability and machines depend on the intermediate stages that came before. Some of that knowledge and skills and machines have been lost, and when our modern manufacturing machines fail their may not be the means or knowledge to replace them after a general collapse. Can you imagine trying to manufacture new silicon chips without the modern factories that make them, and having to start from scratch? And like technology, science (so called) is built upon the shoulders of what was known before.

This can only be hard in a long term situation, because improvements in technology require some spare time for contemplation, wealth and resources to explore and develop new ideas, and these may all be in short supply in the future. Even today, without the collapse, the reduction in the quality of education has given us a generation that knows less than the generation before, and that one less than the generation before them. Education is of the utmost importance in a civilisational collapse situation.

But I don’t think it will get to that stage. As a person who believes what the Bible says, it appears to me that while the world will in many respects be barbarous on social and ethical fronts, there will still be technology in the future time because there will be a multinational empire (which implies elaborate communications and transport abilities) and massive armies crossing thousands of miles, with all the logistical infrastructure that is implied to do that. What’s more, this will happen even with the Earth in a state of catastrophic tumult. However, this tumult won’t be evenly spread across the Earth and some areas will survive better than others. Therefore I think that technology has a fairly good chance of surviving, though I guess that on a local level it may be necessary to return to a less technological way of life.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

The Internet is like a rosebush, you can cut it back to almost nothing and it will survive and thrive!
    I have a netbook and a bunch of thumb drives in a Farraday Cage. I have batteries and solar to recharge
    same. I am a HAM and my place looks like a porcupine with all the antennas.
    Our group is about 20 and we are loosely part of a state wide movement.
    Even if we nuke each other back to the stone age there will be tech.
    What did the public say to the invention of the wheel?

Robin

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

All very good points made by everyone. Great read. I think that 50 years from now, humans will look back at our current state of things and simply wonder how backwards everything was.

If there is a collapse that breaks most technology it will take years and decades to get back to the current level but it will happen rather quickly. I just hope people remember the lesson from a global collapse.

Hearing stories from others, like Selco, in which the new generation has already forgotten the hard price he and his family had to pay for the ignorance and hatred that was promoted by those in power, doesnt make me too enthusiastic about this.

If you look back in history and at society you just realize society is a very very slow learner. Some might call society even dumb, but we keep forgetting lessons we should have learned decades or even centuries before.

When it comes to technology I have to admit Im a big technology geek. There are projects like “e-ink survival tablets” such as Earl that show some promise. I think solar power and renewable energy is and will lead our way into the future.

Personally I have an e-ink Kindle with many books and references on it, a mobile solar panel to charge gadgets like the Kindle, my gps and a small outdoor phone (with gps and Android).

If you want to blow your mind get your favorite drink and sit down for 20 minutes and read how billions are invested to create a star (yes a STAR!) that could provide us with energy for millenias. The project might launch in 5 – 10 years and my official goal is to simply survive until then. This is pretty exciting!

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.