Tagged: , ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Don’t know if anyone already broached this topic, if so I apologize. We are stocking up on flashlights, handheld communication radios (which is another topic), and a portable emergency radio for NOAA, etc that need batteries. Focusing on AA rechargeables. One of my favorites so far is the eneloop combined with a solar charger. These are incredible batteries that are pre-charged when you receive them and they are rated at 2000 mAh. The company claims that after 3 yrs storage they will still maintain 75% capacity and can be recharged 1800 times.

I’ve only been using them for about two yrs so far and they are working as quoted. Let you know when I get a couple more years out of them. They are a bit pricey, but if they live up to their reputation they will be worth it. $40 for a 16 pk on Amazon.

We also use a multi-battery solar charger called the Solar 11-in-1 Battery Charger also on Amazon. It goes for $25.30 and holds 11 different size of batteries. I do have a few rechargeable ‘D’ and ‘C’ cells, but not many. I’m not as ecstatic over this as I am the batteries themselves. It works okay, but it’s more like a trickle charger. Kind of slow, but functional. I am currently researching some other possibilities for solar charging the batteries and I’ll keep you updated as to what I find.

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Typical-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B005C2Z68M/ref=pd_sim_e_36“>

http://www.amazon.com/C-Crane-SBC-11-in-1-Battery-Charger/dp/B001BKS3Z2/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396678676&sr=1-24&keywords=solar+charger“>

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Bushrat.
    I am also trying to to stay focused on AA batteries, second choice is cr123. Because some reasons it is hard to get things from Amazon, so for the batteries I am mostly buying directly from Chinese sites, cheap and sometimes very low quality, but it is what it is.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

http://www.dlightdesign.com/productline/ I’ve bought a few of these lights as gifts for family and friends. Some products got USB ports and can charge small items. I use them daily to safe on electricity.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Does anyone have experience with the Goal Zero stuff? Might be a good option for rechargeable batteries via solar.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have the complete small solar set up , I keep it in a small pouch , it has a 4×6 solar panel , with leads , then can be connected to either AA , AAA, or 9v , holder , all of which are in the same pouch . After looking at the set up , its pretty simple , and then I did a little reading about solar , you can make your own set up from parts you get at radio shack . Even bigger systems can be made yourself , cheaper than a lot of the pack set ups like goal zero . Out here in the Southwest you can get solar panels of different sizes and shapes at home depot . I dont know if its just me , or my imagination , but rechargeable batteries dont seem to hold a charge very long , kind of annoying , but better than no batteries at all .

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Mr. Red, Goal Zero is ok. Some hiking buddies have solar panels from them. I’m very happy with Anker solar solutions and also battery packs.

Besides the foldable solar panel linked above, I have a 20.000mh battery pack that has helped me power my gps and other electronic devices for 10 days while hiking in Scandinavia. I keep the solar panels around just in case and usually go with battery packs instead. For prepping, nothing beats regular batteries of course.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

I also have Anker gear and it all works great.  For my house I keep about a dozen chargers going with AA, AAA and cr123a batteries as well as about a dozen flashlights or lantern lights for emergencies.

For battery chargers you should have a smart charger that monitors the battery level and provides just enough juice to charge it.  This helps you batteries last much longer in terms of number of charges.  I use this charger from La Crosse, it shows the battery level in the LCDs which helps diagnose battery problems:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this one from NiteCore which can also charge 18650 & cr123a batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JMDD9U/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Btw these are 120 VAC chargers, for field use you will need an inverter in a vehicle.

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Selco  learned new trick  this weekend for CR123 batteries go to dollar store buy cheap solar led  stick in ground units(path way lighting) the CR123 battery inside usually still works after solar cell dead….. and for under $1 each not cheap but hardly expensive. any brand will do

http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=1676137

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>namelus wrote:</div>Selco learned new trick this weekend for CR123 batteries go to dollar store buy cheap solar led stick in ground units(path way lighting) the CR123 battery inside usually still works after solar cell dead….. and for under $1 each not cheap but hardly expensive. any brand will do

http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=1676137

Those are not 123 batteries but rechargable (cheap) the half AA batteries in the lights.
    And it’s cheaper to buy the light than the battery itself, go figure.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I have some experience with the Goal Zero Luna light. I like using them with the Brunton powerpaks. Its like a portable lamp when set up. My most used power source is the Duracell 600 powerpak which is a 7 ah 12v. battery set up as a small inverter jump starter radio light unit. By combining 2-3 of the Brunton solar panels it can recharged but mostly I use a small 2 amp battery charger. I’ve used the Duracell pak with a small 12v. pump to transfer fuel to a 100 gal fuel tank and it knocks the battery down to around 40%. If the grid does go down for any length of time all this stuff would be incredibly useful.

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>namelus wrote:</div>
    learned new trick this weekend for CR123 batteries go to dollar store buy cheap solar led stick in ground units(path way lighting) the CR123 battery inside

Which exactly Dollar store are you buying them at? Model or SKU would be useful. Because even HarborFreight ones carry cheap and not very reliable 300mAh NiCd ones onboard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.