Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MakingDo
    MakingDo
    Prepper
    rprepper

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Hi, I’m 50, female and live in Palm Beach County, Florida.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

Probably since about age 9.  I come from a long line of survivors and preppers, only they used to be called poor folk, or farmers. I would visit my grandparents for vacation every year, and I think it was around age nine that I started to notice that my grandparents were pretty much self sufficient, and thought that was pretty awesome.  They grew or raised everything that was put on the table, and rarely had to go to a store for anything besides a part for the tractor.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

Oddly, I didn’t really start prepping because of any pending event.  Instead, when my grandmother passed away, I started trying to learn all the things that I should have learned from her when she was still alive.  When she died, I thought of all the information and know-how that was instantly lost … as if a library had just burned to the ground.  That’s when I started trying to learn the skills that my lifestyle had taken for granted.  I began to learn how to can and garden, started raising chickens and then later goats.

My family also did a lot of camping when I was growing up, so learned a few skills there too.

Then along came the Y2k scare.  I stopped and thought about it, and realized that we were pretty much okay.  We had food in the cupboard, and had renewable food sources.   Both the chickens and goats could graze off the land, and they both provided products that I didn’t have to slaughter for.

Fast forward about twelve years, when I read the book One Second After, and realized there were a few holes in my thinking.  Then found Selco’s site which opened up another whole dimension.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Family matters most, friends a close second.  Philosophy, I don’t know … maybe my screen name answers that … makingdo … I just do the best I can with what I’ve got.  I follow the golden rule, I try to be a good person and treat others the way I would like to be treated.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

Live and let live.  Something I wish everyone would adopt.  I’m so sick of people trying to control other people.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

I tell my family everyday that I love them, but I would do it again one last time if I have the opportunity … unless I still have ammo and am in shooting distance of the SOB that just ended my life.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi MakingDo, welcome to the community! Great attitude, tolerance goes a long way and you are spot on, actually a couple of decades ago its was perfectly normal to be at least a prepper and most folks from the countryside knew the matching survival skills as well.

Probably since about age 9.  I come from a long line of survivors and preppers, only they used to be called poor folk, or famers.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome MakingDo, hard life can be best teacher in survival.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome to you Makingdo – sounds like you are way ahead of many, many people. Looking forward to hearing more from you on the forums

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome MakingDo, I am also in Florida, City of Coral Gables.

MakingDo
    Prepper
    rprepper

Thank you all for the welcome.

I have dabbled in a few things, many others that I would like to.  I am a master of nothing, but will certainly contribute where I think I can add value.

Even after proofreading my original post several times, I can still find several typos – ugh.  Does that edit button really work?  I’m going to have to give it a try.

MakingDo
    Prepper
    rprepper

Jay, yes.  It used to be “normal” to be prepared, and it was the people who didn’t that were crazy.  Strange how that got turned around.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.