Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

TAZ, 40-ish (WOW where did all the time go?!), Guy, North America. Currently work in the building trades. I’ve been a professional soldier, Private Detective, Prison Guard, airplane mechanic, auto mechanic, wild land firefighter, Bodyguard, Pharmacy Tech, the list goes on.. So I guess that’s where all the time went, eh?

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

Grew up this way. Mom survived WW2 in the jungles of the Philippines. Four of my Uncles died fighting the Japs. Dad grew up on a farm during the Great Depression. We ALWAYS had extra food and powdered milk stored in the house. Serving in the military overseas me showed a side of the world most people don’t get to see (or is it HAVE to see?). This made me value what we have in the 1st world more than most, I guess. It also taught me how easily it can be swept away.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

It’s a way of feeling secure in a very insecure world. I once read about a 14 car accident that overwhelmed a region’s emergency services and hospitals. What happens when the next quake hits? Or another ice storm stops the trucks coming? My main concern is an economic collapse. Empires in history have ended most often with a whimper, not a bang. Rome went through what the United States is doing. The rest of the developed world won’t be far behind, or it will simply let the US slide into the slag heap of history and move on without them.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Make like a LRRP Team, and let it blow over me. LRRP (pronounced ‘lurp’) means Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol. Sneak into the enemy’s back yard, collect Intel, sneak out. Do not engage unless you have to. I plan on keeping me and mine safe.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear – Marshal Foch

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

Depends on what I’m doing, doesn’t it? If I’m making love, I will apply myself with maximum vigour; if resting, I will look back on an adventure-filled life that most wouldn’t believe. If in combat, I will sell my life dearly and die honourably.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome, good list of experience there!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome TK556, Great to have on here.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi TK, great history. It makes a big difference if you get out and see the world and realize how much we have in the west and how little others have. This reality check is pretty refreshing and like you said our systems are build to simply work under normal conditions. No hospitals keep extra staff around for the big disaster that might come once in 10 years… at that point its up to everyone of us to take care of themselves.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Taz,
    Glad to have you here and welcome!
    Hannah

Profile photo of riverrat
    riverrat
    Survivalist
    member1

Hello Taz, Welcome aboard. Where in the Philippines? The ship I was on pulled in to Subic Bay going back and forth to Vietnam a couple of times, but I know that there are a lot of Islands that make up the Philippines.

Ed

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome Taz!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Welcome Taz; looks like you’ve done a little bit of everything.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a seat and stay a while.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.