Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

heres Dodge, son of Chevy, half newfoundland lancier and half cow dog {boarder collie}. way to friendly but a real good buddy. he’s my man watch for anyone going into the bush, jumps in with the chainsaw and grabs branches, knows to growl at bears and moose, protects kids and women, loves to play stick….. oh and im training him to be a rescue dog.we got one helicopter rescue under our belt last year….

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Darin,
    That is awesome!
    I don’t have dogs anymore; I wish I still did.
    My cats aren’t exactly trainable. Lol.
    Hannah

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Dodge looks like a champ. Have a couple of pups myself but still miss my rottweiler I got from the rescue group years ago. She was a wonderful dog.

Always wondered what it would be like to have a shutzhund trained dog.

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

i was babysitting buddy’s cow dog, beutifull full black long hair, white chest and toes…and a red shepperd mated her. i was given one of her pups who we named Chevy, or Chevrolet when he was in trouble. excellent at herding the kids! they couldnt escape his ability. super smart with hand signals and voice command, i even started doing gestures and he picked up on it. great family companion and protector. one day he mates with my cousins newfy lab, great big girl. smart too..she would walk ahead, fall behind, walk ahead..touching everyone like a count off. when working she sits on a knoll or high point to watch over everyone.when she had her pups i got the runt as long as i dont name his pups Ford { im picking Henry, as in henry ford }. as newfy labs go they take longer to mature, but are real smart and loyal.
    Dodge is a worker guy, holds trees down while you cut em and pulls branchs away and im talking 21 inch chainsaw….but he’s gotta know where you are, just like his mom. good guardian. during the rescue we assisted in he didnt react to the helicopter circling or landing three attemps. stayed focused with eyes on the girls. if shtf this breed is good protector,

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Meet Aspen, daughter of Tundra. Aspen is five months old, right now and she is weighing in at 30lbs.She is in her beginning stages of testing. She is to be a service dog for my four year old, who is a epileptic.Much like Dodge above she works even at this age. She hangs out with a four year old so….yes she has patience! She can’t sense a seizure yet, but does respond to them when my girl has them. She sits with her and barks repeatedly till me or the hubby hear her. She will also try to roll the child to her side slightly as well, but this is still being worked on as she is still a pup. If Aspen barks yes we come running. She retrieves a medical bag and brings it to where ever its needed.
    Aspen
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    Next is Tundra, she is my leaddog and pack leader over the rest.She is one of the only off leash Siberian Huskies, I have ever met that actually can be off leash. Tundra is a trained gee haw, single or double leader. She also though doesn’t need full commands. We have worked together for eight years now, if I say turn she turns. She will also disregard a order, but purely out of safety. She knows the difference between safe and stupid. She has lead her own team through three search and rescues and helped bring in a lost hunter once.
    She has taken me through the Cold Lands of Labrador and stopped a team of eight sled dogs in their tracks. As she knew the ice wasn’t safe. She has had her own brushes with death, by waking to the sound of a polar bear that was way to close to our camp. Her and the other eight broke their gang line to send mr white teddy bear from hell away. I only came home with six dogs that day.
    In the off season she will help pull fishing nets in. She hauls wagons around. She loves to help pull carrots up aswell. Only bad thing I can say about this dog is she loves wood!! I have lost three chairs in her eight years with me. Nothing makes her happier then being given a chunk of pine to chew on. lol
    Tundra

All in all When the SHTF these two dogs will be coming with me any where.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for sharing your pictures guys!
    Your dogs are beautiful.
    Hannah

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Oh Gypsy! What beautiful dogs! More, how smart. Do you do the training yourself? Assume they must be very fast learners? Does one sex of dog make better sled dog than other, are mixed teams common/work? Always wondered for some reason. Do you have a ‘back up’ leader in the team? (if question makes sense).

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Most will tell you that the sex means nothing, but my self and a few others do agree the female members of the pack tend to pay attention more then the boys. Sorry guys, but in my line of work the boys tend to have a very one track mind, eat,mate sleep, mate, sh!t oh oh oh there she goes again. Oh Yay Iam getting hooked for a run, I get to stair at duchesses butt four six hours!. Oh did I mention the guys like to Mate. Needless to say I only have two Males.

But all in all after going down a trail I just have to talk to the boys more so. “Billy come on,grrrrrr….. Ghost Focus!” They start to settle.Right now I have one other leader, she is Named Nanna and she is a malamute. But when she leads a team things change. Being malamute she is slower then the Siberian huskys, but with that taken away. Her team can go slower but carry a heck of a lot more.

Aspen if she fails her taining, could take after her mother though.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

good looking kids, quite a job but i imagine the rewards are worthwhile. iv never run a sled team, though iv always had an interest. there must be a lot of preperation and training before you can go out. love the photo’s…..

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

I am glad I’ve got chickens. They give me free range eggs. I’m glad I’ve got fewer rats eating the chicken food, because of my two cats. This afternoon my cat kicked a bowl of fresh eggs of the table! That when I was glad I’ve got a big dog I could call to start cleaning up the mess. (There goes my training to prevent him from eating the eggs) What a waste.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.