Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Proteus 55
    Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Go to
    gazzetta (dot) gr and add the following to the address bar:

/plus/article/774228/molotof-himika-kai-kynigito-gyro-apo-ti-voyli-kaikan-aytokinita-vidspics

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

PS: I had some difficulty posting the link. If such posts are against regulations, please let me know (or an admin can remove it).

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Proteus 55: Is the “Odd/Even” tag rules still in effect for traffic going into Athens?
    Thanks
    Robin

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Hi Robin, normally yes, but three days ago it was suspended for the period of the summer holidays.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Today amidst various forest fires raging in parts of the country (unconfirmed arson attacks with remotely primed butane gas cylinders according to some civilian sources hearing the explosions), there was an unusual revelation that Lafazanis, one of the left-wing sub-group of SYRIZA and now departed from the government due to his No vote of confidence to the austerity measures, was actually suggesting to a group of 500 listeners that they should invade the treasury and “steal 20 billion” to make local currency, arrest the head of the Bank of Greece while enabling grexit on his own terms, and other outrageous claims. According to at least one newspaper (capital.gr), this was a perhaps pathetic attempt to organize a communist coup through probing for sympathizers; apparently the newspaper is alleging that his circle (people of similar convictions) were linked to (or influenced by) Panomariov’s office at the time of Brezhnev and when Chernobyl occurred, they were denying the accident and the radiation fallout as western propaganda…

I have no way of personally confirming the above but if true, it is very useful that this “gentleman” expressed his outlandish scheme; at least the voters will know what to avoid next time.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Proteus 55, thanks for keeping us updated. Not one piece of that information is likely to have been broadcast on any of our news media outlets here in the U.S., and I’d be surprised if it’s even in newspapers (hardly anyone reads those anymore). Even Google News has but one story on Greece on its main web site currently – an article titled, “Greek crisis: the EU solution solved nothing.” No mention of fires, riots, demonstrations, etc. Oh, one can find about five articles if the search terms “Greece fire” are entered on Google News, but even those did not seem to have any suggestion of anything other than natural causes, natural for this time of year – not even a hint of possible deliberate acts, let alone reports of actual explosions of canisters as you provided.

The same thing is happening with the stories coming out of South Africa/Zimbabwe here. We just don’t ever see these kinds of stories. Instead, on Reuters’ 32 photos of he day, there were multiple depictions of the remembrances for the victims of MH17 (shot down over Ukraine a year ago), along with a 1-year old photo of a cross burning ceremony on the private land owned by a KKK leader – LAST YEAR. Was MH17 a horrible event for which no one will likely ever pay? Of course. But how many depictions of the ceremonies are needed, out of only 32 total photographs that depict what’s deemed important today?

We are becoming more and more dependent on individual efforts to keep information flowing about what’s going on in our world, because TPTB aren’t doing what Fox News claims they do (“We report, you decide.”). Thank you so very much for the updates, so we know not only what we could be up against ourselves one of these days soon, but also just so we know what’s really happening to our fellow human beings in this world. Our prayers are with you. Some of us actually still remember being taught the fundamental contributons of Greece in what we call modern civilization. It is so very tragic.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Agree about the news media. After seeing how stories are buried if they don’t match the narrative being pushed by the TPTB, I began searching for information as close to the local level as possible. I’ve been going to the English language edition of the Greek papers to get a sense of what was going on.

Proteus: I join everyone else here in thanking you for your insights and explanations of events in Greece. Continue to pray for you and your love ones. Keep safe, and keep alert.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

GeorgiaSaint, thank you so much for your kind words. The apparent lack of news reports (or filtered news reports) on various significant things is troublesome. I often worry about the current state of the world, but this suppression of information and truth in general is very troubling. Limiting the probing ability of the search engines and filtering out “sensitive” info that could prove detrimental to certain status quo is perhaps the new reality. I agree with you in that individual efforts to disseminate information is the way forward as a means to counter propaganda and under-reporting. Some friends I have on other countries including Canada and Britain have also noticed similar problems to those you mention. But on the other hand, those deemed as “harmless” news (like sport, celebrities etc) are broadcasted without any issue. I will do my best to continue to update you all with news as to how things are developing here.

With regards to the fires, as an indication to the severity of the arson attacks, the Minister of Defence ordered a Code Orange and a deployment of several units on mountainous terrain all over Greece. They also made a couple of arrests.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Roadracer, thank you for your words. The English language section of local newspapers is a good idea to give an indication of what’s happening. A lot of important news are translated or written in English; however bear in mind that several interesting things are missed quite often. It depends on popularity, on whether the article upsets the powers that be, or sometimes on lack of dedicated staff hours to be able to work bilingually on all topics. Keep safe and well, God be with you.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I will second (or third) the comments on how valuable it is getting first hand reports about what is happening in Greece. We have similarly gotten news here from South Africa that the media in the US at least totally ignores. And here we are the more rare types that want to know what is going on, yet we struggle to get good info from any of our major media.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Proteus 55, I haven’t posted on here much over the last several months, but read other’s posts pretty religiously. Enjoying very much your commentary on the Greek situation. One thing I noticed many years ago, I always get a more complete picture of the news about the US from International news outlets, and likewise for other countries.

Governments love to control the narrative, because it helps control the minds of their people. This is something we have struggles with for a long time, and it doesn’t look like it will improve anytime soon. I do believe, the way international commerce has become inextricably intertwined, we need to watch carefully, and be concerned about what happens to other countries. And for this, your comments have taken a place of importance in our lives. Thanks again!

Please keep up the good work, and be safe.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Coming soon to America… Learn from this, people!

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

MountainBiker, Bushrat and Wildartist, thank you for your comments. It is a pleasure to know that so many people are interested in this crisis, as I believe there are lessons to be learned on all subjects. From preparedness, to reaction times, to group mentality, to political maneuvering, keeping a low profile etc.

An interesting thing I have observed is the way people reacted to certain persons who stocked up supplies. As you might have heard, the latest austerity measures increased the VAT to 23% to many things, including beef, canned food and spaghetti! Many people had been stocking up on stuff like that for months, myself included; but others that were in supermarkets were targets of gossip and derogatory comments. I witnessed a small number of such attitudes, and the prevalent behavior that the group projected was not mocking /ridicule but more like…envy. It was also interesting that several persons who recently went to the pharmacy to buy medications, medical supplies etc in bulk were asked by staff as to why they were going to buy all that. This curiosity was not altogether harmless; they seemed to really want to know (whereas in the past no-one gave a damn about the choices the customers made). When faced with this myself during the last run to the pharmacy, I fabricated a plausible explanation about mountaineering in order to evade further irritating questions and immediately I saw smiles of…what seemed like relief. As if my somewhat ordinary explanation was grounds enough to appease their own worry, or could it be something more? I have no idea, but I am thankful that I managed to complete my acquisition for medical supplies on my list (now it should be enough for a year, barring any complications). People are more impatient on the streets and during driving; they also seem more careless too. I expect that their attitudes could change even more, as the crisis deepens (perhaps in the beginning of autumn).

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Proteus 55: Click on the “Forum” at the top of the page. In there are different articles from Selco covering a ton of subjects that will help you.
    To me, Selco’s driving force is: spread the word about being prepared, what to do, what to expect, who to trust and the mistakes he made and what he learned from them.
    Robin

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

ooooooooops! Click on “Blog” not Forum.
    Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.