Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I have heard several people express interest in making knives here. I recommended this book in another thread but thought I would post it’s title in a new topic so it was easier to find.

$50 Knife Shop
    by Wayne Goddard

This book is a great place to start with lots of hints on getting started cheap. It also has a section on making knives without power tools. I highly recommend this book.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks for posting this Matt. Just bought the book and look forward to check it out. Along with woodworking this is one of crafts Im going to learn more about in the coming weeks.

What steps in the whole process are the most time consuming for you?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

This is a good book. solid info, no misinformation. A good way to start out knife making before you go ye olde black smith (the author mostly focuses on a cheap home-made gas forge as I recall.
    I also recommend his book: ” the wonder of knife making”, and more more in depth black-smithy options and the metallurgy anything by Jim Hrisoulas (I own all three of his books and adore them!)

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Jay sorry for the delayed response. I didn’t see your question at the bottom when I read your post. Thats what I get for using the small screen on my phone to look at this site. Depending on what methods you use it can vary. I have not done any forging yet but I would imagine shaping the blade would take a while. For grinder smithing I would say it would be getting the blade grind even on both sides. Grind a little, check, grind a little more. Another thing depends on what your starting material was. If it is a lot thicker than your end blade will be it can take a while to gring it down to the right thickness. If you are trying to make a knife with no electricity and just using hand tools. ALL OF IT. Lol

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Frozen, I will be sure to check those books out. Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.