Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I stay off Motorways and major A roads here in the UK, I ALWAYS travel back country and county roads as I once got stuck on a motorway for 2 hours following a road traffic accident further up the road, I have heard of other people being stuck for 6 hours at a time. in a SHTF event British major highways will be closed to all traffic except military, police and emergency vehicles.

British Survivalist.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

lone,

A very wise policy. Driving in England (Lake District), I felt as if I were driving in a tunnel all the time. You can’t see past the edges of the Motorway most of the time. I wouldn’t know what to do if I had to ditch off the Motorway. The back roads are much more enjoyable. Takes more time, but the tradeoff is worth it.

Contrast with Germany. Yes, you can see things, see farther, and get an idea of the terrain off the ‘Bahn, but God help you if you miss your exit or have to ditch – offramps are 10 to 20 miles apart sometimes. I’ve been in a stau before where traffic just stopped. No reason. Just came to a halt. People turned off their cars, got out and socialized. Sort of like a little, impromptu party right there in the middle of the ‘Bahn… when traffic started moving again, there was a flurry of movement as people packed up their stuff and ran back to their cars. Just another day in Deutschland…

Since you live there, can you give us an idea of what your options would be if you had to ditch? I mean, we’ve discussed chopping a hole in the fence along the highway with a pair of bolt-cutters or wire-cutters, then going overland to a road paralleling the interstate… is that even possible over there? Interested in what you would consider doing if you felt you had to.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

NO contrary to popular belief going overland is not possible in the UK, apart from maybe “common land” like Dartmoor, Exmoor, maybe the New Forest or the Yorkshire Moors, we have FIELDS here with hedges and fences not open range and fields are not linked together so you cannot drive into one then another then another and so on. there are some “green lanes” and cycle tracks(which could be accessed for vehicles with the use of boltcroppers# cough cough#) but they don’t link up with each other. I live in an area where we have deep, deep lanes which you cannot see over in a normal automobile, deep ditches and granite walls, many larger vehicles-delivery trucks and coaches- become stuck in these lanes by blindly following their “sat nav” instructions. these lanes are mostly one vehicle wide and easily blockable in a SHTF event. these are the routes I use normally avoiding the use of motorways but I use them all the time and I know where I’m going, many locals use them too but strangers would get lost as they are not always signposted.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.