Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

In my BOB , I have a pair of Sealskinz socks , the reason is that I dont want to have wet feet in case my boots fail , or am going through wetland areas .

These are pricy , about $30 for one pair , so needless to say I only have two to my name . These are very odd , in the fact that although very comfortable , do not feel like what we are used to socks feeling like . They more closely resemble a dry suit . They are a three layer fabric system , the center being a waterproof membrane . Its important to get your size , but having been on job sites in the midwest , outside at 15 degrees with your feet wet , is no fun !

These are indeed 100% waterproof , have tested them out submerged with no footgear on , they are thick , so if your boots hurt your feet in areas , the padding they provide may help .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Hmmm, looks interesting, Tolik. My feet are of primary importance. Can’t go anywhere or do anything with bad boots or miserable feet. Will look into them. Thanks for the post.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Ok after looking into these even more. Ya know Tolik my husband is gonna kill me. Iam going to buy one pair and hope he doesn’t find out….ok maybe two, I’ll get him a pair as a peace offering. lol You do know though he is likely gonna tell me to bury him in them as they will be the most expensive socks he has ever owned.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Yes, Gypsy, but they may save his/your life someday… Some vets who were in Vietnam said if someone saved your life in combat, you repaid them with your last pair of dry socks. Where you live, wet or wimpy socks in the snow could mean lost toes.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Who says you have to tell him what they cost ? birthdays , and other things .

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Tolik,
    Thanks for sharing!
    I’ll definitely consider adding a pair of these to my BOB.
    Hannah

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

I’m a big fan of sealskinz products. Well designed and made. I use to use these type of socks (as well as goretex socks) back in the UK, but found for Scandinavia in the summer/autumn often you were going through marsh/swamp/water which went above the topline of the sock, therefore your feet got soaked anyways. It was a good reminder of basic training, in the need to know how, and be disciplined enough to ‘administer yourself correctly in the field’.

A nice product, but as we need to bear in mind in regards to all gear:

a) Everything has a limit
    b) Have an alternate option/skill to fall back on if it fails / gets compromised

Certainly caring for your feet, especially if being forced to travel under your own power is a BIG priority!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Looks very cool Tolik, pricey yes, but if they are like you explained I think it worth the price.

Profile photo of treysmagna
    treysmagna
    Survivalist
    member1

I am very new here, but I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in here. I have used these for several years when riding my motorcycle in the rain and they work great, I told my mailman about them and he used them too.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I use similar drysuit socks when I go hiking. When you have to cross a bit larger riverbeds and the water comes from the mountains and is ice cold, still feeling your feet is a huge plus! :)

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.