Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gator
    Gator
    Prepper
    member1

Hi, I go by Gator and I live in North Florida (about 30 miles outside of Jax). I started prepping in 2010 after hearing Glen Beck repeatedly warning viewers on his FoxNews TV show to start stocking up on non-perishable food, bottled water, and ammunition.

I started doing my own research on our very fragile economic system and decided the question wasn’t IF our economy would collapse, but when.

I’m pretty well stocked on everything I need for at least several years, but I have not yet reached out to my neighbors to see if any of them are on the same page. I’m a little hesitant to let people know what all I have stockpiled because although I’m ready to defend my stuff, I’d rather not have to.

I live on 10 acres of land out in the country and my neighbors aren’t very close anyway. I’ve never met any of them and we just wave at each other if I’m up by the road when they drive by.

Always looking to learn something new and maybe I can even share some of the things I’ve learned.

As far as my personal philosophy, it would have to be:

“I’d rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”.

Gator

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome, Gator!

I would try subtlety first. If you get the opportunity, strike up a mild, light, political conversation, or even about how amazing technology is and how ‘in the old days, you’d have to make your own soap.’ Stuff like that seems to quickly interest the prepared and bore the brainwashed. Very subtle hints are how I discover those who are brainwashed and those who are not. Perhaps I have a knack for picking them out, but I seem to discover like-minded people almost immediately. If they seem to respond positively… talk about a topic slightly closer to prepping… if they turn away, immediately drop that subject and NEVER mention anything again. Opsec is important.

Hope this helps!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Gator!
    Agree, go easy and slow, but do it. It is slow process, and leave some things to be said only when you are sure that you have right man.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome Gator, I live in Coral Gables, Florida. About the neighbors start by saying something like “so what do you think about this economy” Do not tell them what you think. You can add something like ” do you think it it getting any better or not” . From there answer you can tell were there coming from.

Another question is start talking about someone in your family or friend that has lost there job and say ” my friend or family lost there job so what do you think or see the job market”

This is a way to find were they stand.

Profile photo of Gator
    Gator
    Prepper
    member1

Thanks for the suggestions. I like them and will attempt to start networking in my area. I had kinda thought I would wait until after the SHTF and then just start walking with one of my German Shepherds from house to house just to check on them and see if they’re ok. If I do it real soon, they shouldn’t have had much time to become “guarded” against strangers knocking on their door. If they respond in an aggressive manner, then I’ll just assume they are ok and don’t need my help.

Gator

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

That, too would work, but you’ve got to be careful. They may call their endangered family within the city… “hey, guys, my neighbor has food and stuff, come out here!” Pretty soon, you’ve got a lot of people you hadn’t anticipated, and some of them may be unpredictable.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome to the forum Gator! Just like WhiteKnight suggested, finding other common topics before coming out as a prepper makes a lot of sense. Only my closest friends know that I prepare.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Gator – welcome brother.  That’s awesome that you feel pretty prepared in only 4 years.  Wish I had that much dedication to it.

I hear you on the neighbors – none of mine know what I do.  One is an elderly lady that we’d probably just adopt as needed, the others are a family of four that are full fledged sheeple.  Nice, but ignorant.  I may try to learn the father someday, but right now he’s out of a job so not something for the time being as he’s got nothing extra for preps.

Look forward to some of your “lessons learned”.

Semper Fi, K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of CrankyOldFart
    CrankyOldFart
    Survivalist
    member1

Sorry. Wrong place.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome pull up a chair and stay a while.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.