Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Just like hunting the game on land, fishing will also be a main way for people to put food on the table. That’ll cause a depletion of the fish stocks that are readily available. Depends on the area, yes, but it will happen.

I’m lucky in that hunting and fishing is a way of life here, and I’ve been doing it since I could walk. That being said, I’m in no way an expert, but I can get food. I also have to agree Tolik. How many people who have rifles will be out in the space trying to harvest meat? How many of them never hunted a day in their life? How many of these preppers don’t know how to look of sign, or basic tracking skills, or if they do get a deer lets say, how to properly butcher it and preserve it, or tan the hide, or just all parts of the animal?

Hunting isn’t as simple as many of those people think. You can just walk out into the woods and shoot yourself a dinner. Fishing is a bit easier but again it’s a skill set that one needs to practice before we’re neck deep in the doo-doo.

Snares, traps, nets, those are all the better option, because they’re still working when you’re not there.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, I owned a house in an island called LITTLE GASPARILLA ISLAND for about 6 years, no cars there just golf carts. I did a lot of fishing there. But in the Keys there are so many fish anyone can fish there.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

matt76 ,
    I liked the way you mentioned traps as a security measure , a very nasty lesson to look at as far as human traps go is the VC in Vietnam , they were very cunning . They even had fake grenade traps designed to kill combat engineers . What they would do , is set up a trip wire to a fake grenade tied to a stick , the real grenade was tied to the other end of the stick buried in the ground . The soldier would disarm the tripwire , and secure the fake grenade …….the thing went off when the guy pulled the stick out of the ground . The only thing I would worry about using traps for people , would be the randomness of it ……………I wouldnt like some kid getting killed just passing by , or getting hit by your own traps because I forgot where all of them were . Even fur trappers forget where all their traps are from time to time .

Freedom ,
    I agree with getting meals from the sea , I used to live in Maine years back , and the sea there will feed you summer or winter . The Lobster Maine is famous for is not what it used to be , Maine has strict preservation laws to keep the generational tradition of lobstermen alive for the future , unfortunately , the lobster migration routes travel below Maine into waters of other states that do NOT regulate the fishing of them as much . Seaweed is also something that the coast can provide in abundance , I have eaten several types , its actually very good , matter of fact , you have to be careful not to eat too much of some types , because they have high levels of iodine . But knowing that they contain iodine , may have medicinal value in hard times . Given the choice ……I would much rather eat from the sea than the land , It just tastes better to me .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red
    Over the years I found fresh water fisheries tend to get fished out easily just under normal pressure. But people tend to leave the frogs, turtles, snakes and other stuff alone.

Heavy commercial fishing has hurt salt water fisheries through the years as well. Some of the moratoriums seem unrelated to the rapid come back of certain species. Rock fish on the Chesapeake comes to mind.

The issue of scarcer game populations only makes having a good or superior ability of more importance. Knowing that the easy places to hunt are empty and the steep thick stuff is where any animals will be hiding or way out in the middle of the marsh on the one hummuck they can stand on could make the difference.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974 agree that the animals will be in the thick stuff and marsh lands were the the people that think they can hunt will never go. In the Keys were there is thick mangroves with the Noseeum which bite like hell to some people they will not go there to fish. The Noseeum do not bite me, they fly all around me.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Tolik,
    Remembering where you put traps is important and they don’t discriminate. Let me clarify something. I would hesitate to put them outside for alarms as it would be hard to hear but placed under a window inside or by a door before bed time would alert you to an intruder. Of course depending on the age of the people or pets in your group this may not be an option. The traps can be rigged out of reach as well. Example would be rigging a string and weight to the top of a window or door using a hook so when the window or door is opened it drops a weight on the trigger plate of the trap that is put up out of reach setting it off. The trap would do no harm but the jaws slamming shut would definitely let you know someone was in the house no matter how quietly they open the door.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

I would like to point out one thing if it come to a situation  where you are desperate for food  why are you hunting fishing like you do now? Fish with a cil lure 1/4 stick and all the fish in area  in 5 min  all floaters it is about survival not  sport. Same goes for animals  put out a darn salt lick while tending garden shoot the ones that come  to lick.

in florida you have prime rib in manatees……think of cow bay

if you take todays rules into SHFT you will suffer and possibly die  it is about living not about anything else

if in real pinch in start in city  go to the zoo/ aquarium spca fish in a barrel anyone?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>namelus wrote:</div>
    I would like to point out one thing if it come to a situation where you are desperate for food why are you hunting fishing like you do now? Fish with a cil lure 1/4 stick and all the fish in area in 5 min all floaters it is about survival not sport.  Snip

While I can’t disagree that different methods will be in order, wasting 1/4 stick on fish seems a bit wasteful.   Also conservation of resources may be as important or more important than it is now. It would be easier, more economical and less obtrusive to use traps or nets for fish.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

namelus, In the Keys a 2 year old can fish, the fish bit anything there. You go into the mangroves and it is full.

Use a throw net and you will get fish every time. So if the SHTF and I make it passed the first six months I will be going to the Keys. Live of the fish. Oh forgot that there is the small Florida deers in the Keys too!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.