Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_weir

Fishing can provide an abundance of food from any body of water with life. Fish traps, weirs, crab pots all work using the same basic method. Using a larger opening leading to smaller and smaller opeings with steering fences designed to keep the fish from going back out. Fish will swim into a weir following a barrier naturally as they cruise for food. Bait can be used to bring everythig living in the water into a trap. A small can of pet food, tuna, a small fish caught earlier, chicken necks. Pretty much any oily food is good bait. The effort to make a weir or trap is outwayed by the potentail volume of food that can be obtained.
    Currently the use of wiers and traps are controlled by each State and anyone interested should verify what the laws are in their jurisdiction.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Weir’s have their place, as do gill nets, seines and others such as hoop traps.

The bonus to the others, you can move them as needed and don’t have to worry about someone stealing them or stealing out of them.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Good post! We saw fish trap baskets woven by the tribals in India. They set them in the little inlets/outlets of their rice paddies and catch small fish. I need to acquire the expertise to build one. Do you know a website with plans?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great information, I have used crab traps before so same idea but smaller. I would love to find some images of the traps if there is any online.

I do know that with the crab traps you can use anything oily, I used pig legs.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3hzp9jf9xA

The trap in this video is a good example of hoop traps. They could be made in any size, however the smaller the trap the less potential. A small trap can still catch fish, crab pots catch edible size fish all the time. Small traps work best with bait.

A hoop net can be made from branches, saplings and vines lashed together. Small branches and vines can be woven into the trap to reduce opening spaces. The trap can be coveted with netting, wire, or fencing. Remember if it is to large it will be difficult to lift out of the water. The last chamber should be easy to open to empty the trap.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.