Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

Selco wrote:<Do not want to sound weird or anything, but only good way to know is to see or know that there are dead bodies there (from the sniper).

Doesn’t sound weird at all. It’s for tidbits like this that I come to the site. I probably wouldn’t have put that together on my own.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well guys – actually what interests me about this photographer and his project -….is studying the actual camouflage part of the snipers. Stealth and all that. If you read the article he says they normally are station far away…but accommodated him for his project – and some of the snipers were pretty new to it (would have been interesting if he had indicated if the ones we did spot were the newbies or not).

When I have a chance I’ll try and post more I have somewhere on a flash together with a bunch of camouflage structures etc. and how they did it.

The Germans…particularly the Swiss, I think are aces at this from what I have found.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Now days there are so many sniper manuals available online they are a bit redundant. The first time I read one of the manuals there are two aspects that make the most difference to a sniper’s survival.

1. Have a physical barrier between the sniper and the targets preventing direct assault on the position. A single sniper unsupported is easy to flank and or overwhelm.

2. Don’t use obvious spots like a ridge, stone out cropping or anything that looks like it could be used to hide a sniper. If you’re on a hill use the side of the hill in a ubiquitous location. Same with any other location.

Marine snipers during the Iraq invasion didn’t hide like they once did and used force protection with a squad. If you have guys with full auto and M203’s you might get away with this tactic.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

74 – it is the entire art of camouflage itself that fascinates me/snipers not so much – the fooling the eye thing/hiding in plain site. It started when I placed a sign, early days in our first store that said ‘Dressing Rooms’ (1’x3′ with red letters) and everyone kept asking where they were. No one looks up was that first lesson. Went on from there.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

My interest is in counter sniper tactics. I’m buying a thermal scope for detection as soon as I can come up with the financials. It’s the only way to go.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

:)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.