Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

matt76, I agree location is paramount. For reasons unknown to me, man-made ponds are very popular in the area where I live. I have a pretty good sized one with brown trout, bullheads, snapping turtles, frogs and such. It is fed off of a small stream that comes through my property. Additionally there is a river behind the houses across the road. I am not well versed yet on the land my son is buying in this regard, but in terms of water it is not as good a set up as mine. It is more rural however.

74, your comments are helpful. Other than locational aspects (which are huge), I hadn’t given the specific defensive features of property such as you describe as much thought as I should. I have excellent open field of fire with my home, but my son’s future home being in the woods won’t. I have a metal roof and it is a log home which are both pluses too. On the fire hazard, even homes such as mine that have extensive lawn areas and distance from other homes will have fire hazards post-SHTF. It won’t take long for those extensive lawns to become fields subject to field fires. No matter how good a home may be in all these regards however, sooner or later you will have to leave the house. We can’t lose sight of that. That is where consideration of the larger neighborhood needs to be dialed in. I did see that part when buying my property. We’re in a small valley with very limited road access into it, all of which are easily blocked with downed trees. The forest is thick enough, stony enough, and non-flat enough that there is no way vehicles could get in other than by road. Folks could hike in through the forests, but there are much easier pickings elsewhere, at least for an initial period.