Profile photo of Proteus 55
Proteus 55
Survivalist
rprepper

Wildartist and MountainBiker, very good points indeed. The information I have from grandfather and stepfather (who grew up in a small village) matches all that you said. Life on a farm is hard, there’s no easy way to get what you want. Hard work and then even more hard work. Stepfather used to wake up at 4.30 approx to tend to sheep. He was given responsibilities at the age of 7. By the age of 10, he was expected to bring back the herd of sheep and assist his father with farm tasks. They were quite poor, his siblings and himself had no shoes at some times, and other times were wearing mismatched clothing that they managed to get cheap. Their plow in 1940s was wooden! (not iron) and when the animal that pulled it got sick, they almost starved before getting another, as due to health complications they couldn’t pull the plow themselves (although they tried with minimal results; I’m told it was exhausting). There were no cars in the village. Everybody went about on foot. The nearest city was about 30 km away, accessible through footpaths over harsh terrain, but those that had coins to pay could get a bus that passed on another road fairly close, once a day or so. The rest had no money, but exchanged goods and their produce to get by. Survival in that village meant working from dawn til dusk, as hard as you could. Otherwise your own survival could have been at risk. So in my eyes, all this modern talk of easy organic farming and how a city person could easily adapt to the farm life is a bit of a joke. It could happen provided one has proper training, plenty of money to purchase the right equipment and all the modern ways to assist his work. Take all that away, and this person would most likely fail in a rather dramatic and potentially final way.