Profile photo of matt76
matt76
Survivalist
member8

Spot on Sled. Real world experience trumps classroom tactics every time. When it comes to firearms training, classes are good to learn strategies and basic weapons handling but every situation and every individual are different. What I am physically capable of may be very different than say a guy who weighs 300 lbs in good shape or not. Those aspects need to be taken into consideration and adapted for. Thus the reason for practice. As far as spending goes I have probably spent the most on guns and ammo, followed by supplies and have spent very little if anything on training. I also fall into a similar category as Sled and Whirli. I was never military or law enforcement but grew up hunting, fishing and camping. My previous jobs have provided training in first aid, CPR and vertical rescue. Sled made another good point that might be worthy of another list, places to get training for free or little cost. Search and rescue, volunteer fire departments, and other community facilities like the YMCA would be a good place to start. Doing a short stint as a life guard at the Y would get you CPR certification as well as first aid and water rescue techniques Toby if I had to give a ratio of my spending it would be probably around 85/10/5.
85-guns and ammo 10-supplies 5-training but it would not be a good representation of my actual standing as my employers have spent considerably more on my training. If you were to get a ratio by experience/useful value it would look more like 70/20/10. 70-training/experience 20-guns and ammo 10-supplies and that could be a deceptive ratio as well considering it is my ratio and not another individuals. Our numbers could look the same but another older individual could be vastly more experienced than I, have more guns than me and more supplies.