Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Thanks guys…

I was thinking about this… You all remember the movie “The 13th Warrior“?

There was this one scene. Antonio Banderas (Ibn Fadlan) rides up to a watchtower with some food for Dan Southern (Edgtho the Silent). He’s sitting there, looking around, calling for him… it went something like this:

“Edgtho?”
“Here.” (up in a nearby tree)
“I brought food… I thought you’d be in the watchtower..”
“Yeah, I know. That’s why I’m not in it…”

Very telling. Go though the trouble of building an elaborate watchtower, then not use it – choosing instead to climb a nearby tree with good concealment…

Don’t devote resources to building elaborate constructions using materials that could be better used elsewhere – but making a couple simple phony OP/LP’s might pay dividends… at first. Once The Other Guy realizes they’re phony, the jig’s up. And anything can burn, given the right circumstances…

One thing we did (that has been given little attention) was buy several fire extinguishers. Two big ABC tanks and several smaller vehicular hand held extinguishers. These are squirreled around the house and garage – even one in the barn. It doesn’t take a Rocket Scientist to figure that certain liquids burn and that might be a good way to either cause a distraction or use them offensively… fill a bottle full of gasoline and old motor oil, stuff a rag in it, light it and chuck it… bad news for anyone on the other end. Having little vehicular fire extinguishers would be a good idea. They’re cheap enough – the Big Box stores usually have cases of these things laying around. The big ones that you can get the fire department to refill for you can be pricey, but if someone heaves a Molotov or three through your window, it will be worth it’s weight in solid platinum…

EDIT: God bless OSHA – when the local CreatureMart has been raided and looted to the walls, go in the back. I’ve seen warehouses with fire extinguishers banded to every other support post, thanks to OSHA regs. Most times, these are overlooked. I can remember being on an old US military base in Central America that had been “abandoned”. Once the Americans left, all the locals would sojourn regularly on to that old base, looking for anything they could steal to sell for cash. Anything. The one thing that everyone seemed to overlook was the humble fire extinguisher – there were literally hundreds of these still there, strapped to support posts and walls in the motor pools and other storage areas. I’m thinking a rampaging horde might overlook these – can’t eat ‘em, nobody is buying them, they’re big and heavy – which means you can stroll in and snag as many as you can fit in your vehicle (providing you have a vehicle, of course)…. take a look at these places next time you’re there, buying groceries… there are literally fire extinguishers everywhere… Just make a mental note of it.

Of course, if you run into someone who knows even basic chemistry, you might be facing genuine Thermite or Magnesium… in that case, there’s nothing you can do except stay clear of it until it burns out and minimize collateral damage. Hosing a magnesium fire with water only makes it worse – the heat actually breaks down the water into hydrogen and oxygen… which is Bad News. And coming up with magnesium isn’t an issue – lots of stuff is made from magnesium. All you need is a file and time and you’ve got a big old heap of magnesium shavings…

Come to think of it, having a genuine, bonafied Chemist on your team will pay big dividends… they know how to make the stuff that makes the stuff that makes the stuff you want…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1