Profile photo of Proteus 55
Proteus 55
Survivalist
rprepper

Hello again and thanks for the comments.
Toby, you are right. With regards to your questions:
a) prices seemed to have increased in supermarkets on selected things like meat, but so far not to all food. Other products seem largely unaffected, although I believe it’s early days yet and prices are bound to go up the more desperate people become.
b) I heard of a “bitcoin ATM” being set up the other day, but haven’t confirmed this. With regards to barter economy, it’s small scale and happening in places but nothing solid as yet. Euros are still the basic currency at the moment.
c) Yes there are some shortages in medication. This was announced in the News today in some places, for some medications. Perhaps it’s a trend of things to come and it’s reasonable due to lessening of imports and problems with companies wanting to be paid in cash (some in advance). So far their prices have remained constant, but we’ll be keeping an eye on that.
Thank you for your warm wishes. Yes, the situation seems troublesome and it could deteriorate further if the vote is No, perhaps Greece will sail to uncharted waters. Wishing you well and stay safe too.

Hi 74. With regards to your question, although internal e-banking (within Greece) from traders and merchants is working fine, the imports and exports have been affected. According to an article in Naftemboriki (a Greek financial newspaper also on the internet), the food industry can last 10 days before the chains of primary sources are interrupted due to capital controls affecting the imports of raw sources of food. This affects exports as well with regards to new deals being negotiated right now. So even if the supermarkets are stocked for now, there are expected to be shortages in the weeks following the referendum. Obviously if the food industry and the imports of food are affected, the supermarkets will also be affected and this cannot be hidden for long. This also affects Cargo Transport and the Logistics sector is issuing warnings with regards to possible threats to infrastructure. Cargo Transport union president is asking for measures to ease off the pressure such as free passes on the motorways (no tolls), diesel for trucks on government guarantee (whatever that means), same for cargo ships reaching port. So with regards to your question, the supply hasn’t been interrupted as yet but it has been affected and it is starting to show.
In general, there had been a 6.6% reduction on Imports from January to April 2015, which I believe translates to approximately 15,394 million Euro in total. Exports were at 8,933 million Euro for the same period. I do not know of more recent figures from any reputable source. We have to wait and see how the food giants will handle this Greek problem but so far I’m hearing that some of them are requesting money up front.

Another interesting point to ponder:
On the wikileaks site you can put /nsa-germany/intercepts/ to see something interesting from 2011. It appears as if German Chancellor Angela Merkel suggested an indirect BRICS bailout for Greece, having doubts as to the offered solutions to the Greek problems; this of course would enforce Greek ties with the BRICS countries. It seems peculiar, considering how this could potentially upset some of Greece’s allies in the West.