Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

I just walked inside, sat down and kicked off my boots…

Got 3 trees today. Two apple – to replace the ones that didn’t make it from last year – and another almond. Spent the last few hours planting the almond. Feeling pretty raggedy right now…

Bad news – 3 of our 4 walnut trees were hit by Ambrosia Beetles and killed. So, I ordered replacement trees for the three. The one survivor is looking a bit raggedy, but I think it will make it. It’s estimated that up to 40% of young walnut trees – under 7 years old – are killed by those stinking beetles… I’m taking a chance on replacing them and running the risk of the same thing happening, but I like walnuts. A lot. And I don’t like being beaten by a freakin’ bug…

The almond trees are rock stars. The tree and bug lady from the County Extension said that normally almond trees don’t do particularly well here. But for some reason, these are freaking rock stars. We got them as an experiment, planted them – literally just a stick in the dirt – doted on them a bit and they took off like rockets. Tripled in size their first year. We pruned them before they greened up, and I’m curious to see if they’ll keep on being rock stars… I don’t think the bugs mess with them because, frankly, they don’t know what the h*ll they are.

Got the potatoes in the ground, finally. Got the ground busted up, then busted up again, then raked, then hoed… and working a hoe sucks! Can’t imagine people working the ground before the invention of the plow – even crude, horse or oxen drawn ones in the Bronze Age… just a stick lashed to another stick. The upper body strength of those early farmers must have been prodigious to run a hoe all day, sunup to sundown…

I got more, but meh…. I’m tired. Take a couple aspirins and hit the sack…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1