Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

74, etc..

Yep, I’m aware of the little 8’s failings, but thanks for the heads up. Those weaknesses include – Popping wheelies and flipping over backwards on a hill… plus, the fact that first gear is entirely too tall (which is why Sherman made a step down tranny in the first place) and if you’re mowing with a bush-hog in thick grass, if the blades slow down, then the tractor bogs and eventually stalls. Floating the clutch to keep that from happening only burns your clutch out.

These problems have work-arounds. Like – don’t do dumb sh*t like popping wheelies in 3rd gear going up a steep hill, putting weight on the grille or front wheels to keep it from turning turtle, sourcing a proper tranny, etc..

It is a capable little tractor, suitable for what we are doing and, so long as one either works within the limitations of the little 8 (or finds a workaround, like a self-powered brush cutter to drag behind the tractor) all is coolness…

Besides, like Bru said – the tech is so ancient, it’s automatically EMP resistant… they made 8’s that ran on propane, gas, kerosene… that last one was an export model for England. It had dual tanks – a tiny gas one just to start it, then when it was running, you flipped a valve and it switched over to kerosene.

I’d give my… well, something important… to have one of those post-war English 8’s…

Hey. Any of you all know anything about early Ford diesel engines?

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1