Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Your sidearm allows you the chance to get to your battle rifle. It doesn’t really matter what you’re using, so long as you have enough ammo for it and can hit with it…

I will say that I don’t prefer the 9mm, unless it’s out of a subgun or a carbine. Longer barrel = higher velocity.

According to Dr. Gary Roberts:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm

the best 9mm rounds to use are the following (NOT in order of performance)…

Caliber: 9mm Parabellum
Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

I’ve used Golden Sabers and the original Black Talons, as well as the standard hardball issue stuff. Given a choice, I would probably use Winchester’s Ranger T ammo, folowed by the Sabers, followed by hardball in +P. I don’t own a 9mm sidearm, but I do own a Suomi K31. With a 76 round drum mag as a reservoir, I’d probably load all three types….

Remember that this is specialized ammo, not the 115 grain hardball you find on sale down at Fail-Mart, so it’s gonna cost you more. I found some Ranger T ammo – the 127g +P+ stuff – over on Gunbroker. 5 boxes of 50 rounds each for about $250 bucks or so…. yeah, it’s pricey over there, but other sources like CTD and others don’t even list that ammo… and even if they do list it, it’s sold out…

I’d rather pay for it and have it than sit around waiting for a shipment to come in… maybe…. in order to save a buck and have nothing while I’m waiting…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1