Profile photo of undeRGRönd
undeRGRönd
Survivalist
member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>oldfatguy wrote:</div>Anselm–and interested parties here–if you’re concerned about weapons stashes being found, you might consider MIG welding over the serial numbers. Right now, because those numbers are stamped into the weapon, the Feds can determine those numbers because of changes in the steel at a molecular level BECAUSE of the compression of the steel as a result of stamping. Welding also changes the steel’s molecular structure, making it impossible to determine the serial number of the weapon, hence the ability to trace itr from mfr to end user…

This I can verify. I worked with the iron workers for a year, and a few times we had to work with obscured, but stamped in numbers and letters. Under the stamping there is a distinct area which may be more clear than the surface! You just gotta get under the obfuscation…
Welding will melt below the surface and destroy the pattern, if you get good penetration. I would not recommend welding Zamak (Hi Point and others use this).

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum