Profile photo of Anselm
Anselm
Survivalist
member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Anselm wrote: The most appalling incident, in my opinion, was the cavalry charge against the World War I veterans in Washington, D.C. in 1932; there should really have been a national uprising.<br>

The Bonus Army.<br>
Appalling, yes. Horrific, yes.<br>
MacArthur went above and way beyond his orders, disobeying the President.

Eyewitnesses, including MacArthur’s aide Dwight D. Eisenhower (later Supreme Allied Commander of WWII and two-term President of the United States), insisted that Secretary of War Hurley, speaking for the president, had forbade any troops to cross the bridge into Anacostia and that at least two high-ranking officers were dispatched by Hurley to convey these orders to MacArthur. Eisenhower later wrote in his book, At Ease, that MacArthur, “said he was too busy and did not want either himself or his staff bothered by people coming down and pretending to bring orders.” Eisenhower put it more bluntly during an interview with the late historian Stephen Ambrose. “I told that dumb son-of-a-***** he had no business going down there,” he said.

National uprising?<br>
At that time, hardly a possibility.<br>
Think about it this way, news took days to weeks to get across the country in many cases, especially if it was being censored. The modern information highway was only a dream at that point.<br>
Secondly, the country was in the depths of the depression, most people were trying to keep food on the table, not considering taking down the government.

Right, Whirlibird, but look at it this way: most people NOW are “trying to keep food on the table, not considering taking down the government.”

And, were people prone to organization, communications would hardly require “the modern information highway”. Just off the top of my head, here’s one of many examples. In 1808, Napoleon had “garrisoned” the territory of his ally, Spain, and taken the Spanish Royal Family prisoner. The moment the people of Madrid saw that even the royal children were being hauled off, they revolted and attacked the French cavalry with POCKETNIVES; those civilians were massacred. The next day, news of this reached the tiny village of Mostoles, just north of Madrid, and its 72-year-old mayor came out with a proclamation to the effect that, as Spain was, in effect, invaded and its highest government prisoner, it was THE MAYORS who were the only legitimate government left in the nation; and that, in the name of all the mayors of Spain, he thereby declared war upon the French Empire. In THREE DAYS, the proclamation had reached every corner of Spain, and all the other mayors subscribed it. The whole population mobilized, and Napoleon suddenly had one hell of a problem which led to his expulsion from Spain and ultimate defeat six years later. No “modern information highway” was needed, just the will to act and a sense of organization. When people pull together, there’s no limit to what they can accomplish.