Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Anselm wrote: The most appalling incident, in my opinion, was the cavalry charge against the World War I veterans in Washington, D.C. in 1932; there should really have been a national uprising.

The Bonus Army.
Appalling, yes. Horrific, yes.
MacArthur went above and way beyond his orders, disobeying the President.

Eyewitnesses, including MacArthur’s aide Dwight D. Eisenhower (later Supreme Allied Commander of WWII and two-term President of the United States), insisted that Secretary of War Hurley, speaking for the president, had forbade any troops to cross the bridge into Anacostia and that at least two high-ranking officers were dispatched by Hurley to convey these orders to MacArthur. Eisenhower later wrote in his book, At Ease, that MacArthur, “said he was too busy and did not want either himself or his staff bothered by people coming down and pretending to bring orders.” Eisenhower put it more bluntly during an interview with the late historian Stephen Ambrose. “I told that dumb son-of-a-***** he had no business going down there,” he said.

National uprising?
At that time, hardly a possibility.
Think about it this way, news took days to weeks to get across the country in many cases, especially if it was being censored. The modern information highway was only a dream at that point.
Secondly, the country was in the depths of the depression, most people were trying to keep food on the table, not considering taking down the government.