Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Have any of you seen the new Zello app. It is supposed to use a push to talk function much like the old nextel phones. It is supposed to work even of you don’t have cell service. I just downloaded it by request from my mom who is in the direct path of Irma on the central west coast of Florida. I guess I will get to test it out this weekend. If you know anything about it or have tips please share.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Thank you, Matt.

I was unaware of this. I’m going to download it and see if I can convince a few of my friends down in Florida to do the same. I’ll let you know.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Apparently you do need cell or wifi service of some kind. What platform are you using: Android or iOS?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Android

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I’m really curious to fond out what technology it uses. The old nextels ran on cellular frequencies but the push to talk was capable of using FM in emergencies. When Katrina hit they passed those phones out to a lot of people because of that feature. Since push to talk went into public domain I wonder if Zello is usong the same tech.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Hmmmmm…. Check the privacy statement/permissions closely on what types of information you’re giving away. And who’s “sponsoring” this app, too? Who’s behind them, and what was the motivation to create it? It’s “free,” so how are they paying for it (i.e. what data are they selling in order to keep their own paychecks coming, and development costs covered)?

What? Me paranoid?

(Sorry, but after getting nailed in the FedGov hack a few years back, then the Blue Cross hack, and now probably every one of us in the Equifax hack just announced yesterday, but which took place as early as this past spring, I don’t trust much of any of that stuff. I’m admittedly antsy about even using this site, since Selco and company haven’t chosen to even make it a secure web site (https://). My security software doesn’t like that at all. Heck, we just got an unknown caller using a fake phone number that was the same first 6 digits as ours, but then my wife’s SSN last-4 as the end of the phone number. NOT comfortable.)

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Yup someone recently started doing that. Id by the last four digits of your SS number. A bank I think. Its not enough that some stores want you to give a birthdate to buy things. Even our local hospital started using birthdate as ID. And now Equifax. People get credit checks constantly. Im sure all my info is compromised now. Who is there to trust? NOBODY.
    What if you just start receiving bills that arent yours. In cw2 should we refuse to pay bills because theyre unaccountable. Its coming down to that. The digital death of the financial system.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I have to use a computer and my cell every day for work. Truth is all those terms, conditions, privacy policies and app permissions are just CYA for the NSA. If you use your phone or PC they are watching. If you have agreed to those vague terms of “we” have permission to access/ monitor yada yada yada they are covered. If they want my info they are going to collect it. Nothing I can do to stop it. That is why I prefer physical assets. I have control and possession of them. It’s the best I can do. As far as being hacked, not much I can do about that either. They hack my bank, the bank covers my losses. That is also why I don’t keep all my money in the bank.

As far as the app goes I have found a little more info.
    Looks like there was a little misinformation about zello. It has to have cell service or Wi-Fi, so it will work if cell service is out but only if you still have WiFi.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Matt,

A fiend of mine in Florida who is using Zello told me it works off of cell and wifi signals only. No RF involved, unfortunately. She also told me that Comcast is expanding their hotspots and suspending usage and data charges for the duration of the storm. Unfortunately, towers and hot spots need power and after battery backup is exhausted it means that comms will eventually go down with or without this app.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

GS,

….also, as far as your privacy suspicions, I was wondering the same. There’s this entertaining YouTube video from “Adam Ruins Everything” that warns against “free” internet sites and apps.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Spot on, Inshala, with a little humor thrown in to make an unacceptable situation at least a bit humorous to watch.

Few people are aware of the PRISM program, and how data is fed to No Such Agency from Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Apple, Skype, YouTube, etc., etc., etc. Snowden dumped the slide presentation partially visible on the first web site below (which has more background data), as well as the more complete slide package in the 2nd link. Anybody have their phone service through their cable company (and thus using VOIP)? Yep – you’re contributing voice data as well – all stored.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data

https://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/nov/01/prism-slides-nsa-document

The Utah Data Center loves all of us. Actually drove by and had a chance to see it once first hand (sprawled out in the background beneath the hills). It’s immediately west of I-15 about 30-45 minutes south of Salt Lake City. I’m told it’s sucking water and electricity out of an area that has little spare capacity of either much of the time (another reason not to live in a desert-type environment).

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.