Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Found this in Skymall while on a business trip the other day.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Hand sink?

I recall something similar in a backwoodsman magazine but larger.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirl,
    I believe thats a hot tub.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think my wife would use it as a dish washer! Funny looking thing. Like to know if you can cook with it!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

What is the fuel source?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Sorry i didn’t say what it was. Yes it is a hot tub. The fuel source is what ever you want. You build a fire inside the circle of coils. As the water in the coils heats up it begins to circulate, eventually heating all of the water. It would be pretty easy to build something like this to whatever scale you wanted. With a little work you could position the coils around the smoke stack of a wood burning stove and be heating water without taking space up on the cook top. You could have a sink next to the stove for washing dishes.You might even be able to work a small water heater like this. You would have running hot water as long as you had water pressure in your pipes. I guess you could pet a grate over the coils and use it as a grill too. It just really struck me funny to see something like this in Skymall.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Very interesting item, now that I know what it is my wife may want one!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Having a big coil like the one shown would be great to have for heating water on any system application. Domestic hot water or base board heat.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks Matt. This is very intriguing.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There was a 5 gallon version in backwoodsman some issues back.
    Containing the fire box as it were would make it more efficient, allowing for different fuel sources such as charcoal.

Controlling the heat, might be a bit of a challenge on something that size, boiling frogs comes to kind.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

OK Whirlibird so if I get one for the wife then I may boil her right? This maybe a problem!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirli I recognized what this was before i read it because of that backwoodsman issue. That was a great article.

Free as for boilng the wife, that’s why i always test any water temp with my toe before i get in lol.

The coil principle has so many different applications. It is actually a similar design used in tankless hotwater heaters. The coil is heated to a very high temperature with natural gas or propane in an insulated box. When the water is turned on the only water that is not hot is the water that is in the line between the coil and faucet.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I always check out SkyMall on flights over the years. SkyMall headed out of business

SkyMall Files for Bankruptcy

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-flight-catalog-skymall-files-for-bankruptcy-1422025308

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>OK Whirlibird so if I get one for the wife then I may boil her right? This maybe a problem!

Boiling, probably not, but depending on how hot you get the coils one could get burned/scalded.
    The boiling frog, to show that as it heats up slowly, the frog sits there and slowly stews like pro-gun people.
    While a frog dropped into a boiling pot will jump out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.