Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Mein Gott!

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

It might have scandalized the officials enforcing the Rheinheitsgebot, but in point of fact, all the water on the planet is “recycled,” being thoroughly mixed with droplets that have passed through the digestive and urinary tracts of millions of critters, fornicated in by fish, flowing slowly through stagnant ponds, then (relatively) “purified” by natural exposure to sunlight and oxygen, as it flows downstream, where it eventually soaks through many layers of soil, sand, porous rock, to percolate up through your very own pristine spring.

What? You don’t have a pristine spring to drink from? Your brewer of choice doesn’t have one either? Perhaps you and the brewer get your water from a municipal supply system. In which case, it almost certainly has been chemically treated, to annihilate (most of) the natural microbes you don’t want. Some such systems are lucky enough to draw from wells, some from rivers or lakes, but they all test, and most treat, the water with chemicals to kill off the pathogens that are likely to be in the original source. So, you’re drinking “recycled” water, unless you’re getting it from off planet.

The prejudice of the “eww” factor carries over intact from the playground to the “adult” world. Back in the early ’60s, I lived in L.A. county, and worked for a municipal engineering department. The subject of water purity came up in conversation, one day. My boss said that his older brother worked for the City of Los Angeles at the Hyperion sewage treatment plant. The effluent was treated, not in two steps, as was the usual municipal practice, but in three stages of purification. By all of the industrial testing methods then used for assessing water purity, the water, thus treated, was biologically cleaner than the municipal water supply Los Angeles was purchasing from the Colorado River. But such was the prejudice against water that had once been sewage (eww!) that the City was obliged to pump that water seven miles out into the Pacific Ocean, at a lo$$, and purchase dirtier water, lacking the stigma.

Cry, "Treason!"

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

They have been doing this for years , its called Sam Adams .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In 1960 they still thought they had enough water. Pretty soon all of the cities in the desert will be drinking toilet water.

San Diego agrees to turn recycled wastewater into drinking water

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/19/san-diego-agrees-to-turn-wastewater-into-drinking-water/

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

pretty soon flush toilets going to be thing of the past.

i do have a spring on site lol a deep hardrock one 360m to top and another 100m down to mid reservoir. i still treat with ozone.

tolik they use it as flavoring in sam adam though i think labbats and molson use same trick for their beers or they would taste like water.

it is cleaner when out of the plant…. how soon till oops we had a fukushima like incident but drink your beer citizen

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Rofl…. You guys don’t know much about Oregon. The show Portlandia isn’t really much more than a ever so slightly exaggerated documentary. I have seen people in the city doing odd water recycling projects for years. This is just now on people’s radar? Wow. That is like Gunsmoke suddenly getting a People’s Choice Award.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Wait a minute, are you saying the Sam Adams I was drinking last night is treated waste water?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

No . I saying that Sam Adams tastes like unfiltered waste water .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

That’s even worse. I’m partial to a couple of Sam’s brews. Long Trail here in Vermont makes a few I really like but my all time favorites are Berkshire Brewing Company’s Steel Rail, also made in Massachusetts, and a hefeweizen brew made somewhere in Pennsylvania. I can’t remember which company. You don’t find it in a lot of places up here. In my travels when I see it I buy a case or two. Shipyard Brewing in Maine is high on my list too.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Have not tried the others , I had the original brew in mind , to me , it tastes like an armpit smells lol . Shipyard is not bad , like the others , you have to find the version that fits your tastes . If you make it to Portland ME , go to Sabago brewing company , they have some very good beer . I like IPA’s some times , but its hard to find one that isnt too bitter . Last time I was there, Sabago only sold their beers to go by the quart . I brought back some of their stout . Like a lot of micro breweries / restaurants , their stuff is strong and will mess you up pretty fast . In Arizona we have Rock Bottom brewery restaurants , some of their beers a pretty strong also .

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

they always reckoned that London tap water went through 10 other people before you.

British Survivalist.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When I was in college , I read on one of the bathroom walls this :
    Flush twice , its a long way to the cafeteria .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.