Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

World’s first 3D-printed revolver looks like a nerf gun, shoots real .22 caliber bullets,

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/11/24/worlds-first-3d-printed-revolver-looks-like-nerf-gun-shoots-real-22-caliber-bullets.html?intcmp=hpff

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Not entirely sure I would use that… or throw it to my enemy and have him use it. Could be more dangerous to the operator than the intended target…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Gee – I saw a $999 3-D printer at Lowe’s yesterday. Think it would make a real gun?!? It said the owner can use supplied plans for little trinkets and toys, but that one could let his or her creativity run free! <grin>

I’m with Malgus – I don’t think I’m quite ready to trust this stuff yet. And I can buy a whole lot of .22 for $999, that I KNOW will be reliable!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think that the point to all this is these guys want to stop cold the gun control nuts by anyone being able to make a gun with a 3d printer. How will any government stop this?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I can’t remember the exact law but there was a story a few years back when 3D printing was just starting to take off about a guy who released the blueprints for an AR-15 print job. He was arrested and I don’t remember what happened to him but the government sited some law that prevents people without an arms manufacturing license from disseminating this kind of information.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

but the government sited some law that prevents people without an arms manufacturing license from disseminating this kind of information.

Well, of course! Information is dangerous. We can’t have an informed public, now can we? It starts with kids in school, and extends through the rest of our lives (cradle to grave, basically).

Tied to that, I wonder when (if it hasn’t already begun) the baby’s footprint at birth is going to be replaced by a “far more reliable method of identification” such as universal DNA profiles. He who keeps all the information, and also controls it, wins.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, there was Cody Wilson’s single-fire Liberator gun which there was over 100,000 downloads from his site before they stopped him. But 100,000 downloads means 100’s more made copies so how many can now make it at home.

The same goes with this one too.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I wouldnt trust it too much either , If they would make one that fired a 9mm , or 45 , with its intent to only be used for 4-5 rounds . Then it could be used like the 45 cal . liberator pistol of WW2 , ” best gun to get another gun ” . Designed for point blank use against occupying enemy soldiers to take their gun . Interesting thing about the liberator , hundreds and hundreds were dropped in occupied territories , and not one record of it ever being used .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Let’s face it, anyone who used a Liberator likely didn’t want its use being found out.

Realistically they were a weapon of terror, even if 99% were captured, the thought that these were dropped from the sky and anyone could have one made the Germans nervous at least.

Sorry but the 3D guns leave me cold.
    There’s plans for STEN guns out there that can be made in little time in almost any machine shop. Parts kits for it and others are well under $100.

http://thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/Stengunplans.pdf

The hardest part to fab or scrounge is the magazine, and those are still available.
    But at that point, almost any mag will do.

Go take a community college welding and machining class.
    You will learn much, and knowledge cannot be taken away.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The sten was junk ! The Limeys only used it because after the butt whipping they got in France , early on , they lost most of their equipment and needed a cheap and easy SMG . Think of the sten as a Volksturm weapon . It will shoot , but its a pile in every other way . British soldiers got rid of it at every opportunity in favor of either the Tommy or the Grease gun . The side mounted mag was awkward to say the least , and not real practical in street combat . Even the Russians found a way to make a cheap , stamped SMG that turned out to be so good , that even the Germans preferred it over their own , it was the PPSH , and it probably took less to make than the Sten . I shudder to think somebody is going to try it with a 3D printer . Train a Chimp to do the test firing , because I dont think too many humans will be very willing .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The STEN is what it was.
    Inexpensive, decently reliable, able to be built in a bicycle repair shop.
    It typifies the ‘partizan’ or “Volksturm’ firearm.

No heavy and large metal presses and dies, no large complicated sheet metal stampings. (M3 Grease Gun and PPSh)
    There’s a reason so many were made and so many copies happened, even the Germans copied them unlike the PPSh. Over 2,000,000 of the MkII versions alone were made, let alone the others.

Side mounted has it’s advantages, you can go prone with it, the mag can rest on your left arm when you cradle the gun. It’s better than one might think, look at the Sterling that followed it, it was used around the world and even the Imperial troops.

But seriously, a little DOM tubing, a proper stencil and an el-cheapo harbor freight mig gun and you’d be surprised. Look what the Israeli’s did making them in underground factories in 1948 and beyond.

Again, we’re not talking about a mass produced factory made gun but something that can be pieced together with what’s available. The STEN is one of the most economical in terms of material and skills needed to produce.

Are there better choices? Of course.
    While we can still purchase decent firearms and spirit them away, it’s the best plan of action.
    That way we never have to make do with something like this.

http://www.guns.com/2013/04/29/richardsons-philippine-guerrilla-gun-a-gun-to-get-a-gun/

Just a reminder, for the home fabricator, the springs and magazines are the hardest thing to make/replicate.
    And when parts kits are available for @$120 (http://www.apexgunparts.com/sten-mk3-smg-parts-set-w-skeleton-stock-9mm-luger.html) and magazines are available cheaply, it’s not a bad investment in the future.

Here’s what not to do.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2015/11/27/homeless-man-l-machine-guns/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.