Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

http://sport.woot.com/plus/gamo-air-rifles-2?ref=cnt_wp_11

Not the best air rifles out there, but picked up a Bone Collector one at a great price. I know I will have to replace the scope, but those go on sale regularly and can be had for next to nothing. I guess the rifle is decent if you can get a good scope on it.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey, not bad, the scopes are cheap. I think the air rifles are good to have for small animal hunting.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I prefer a good pump pellet gun over a 22 . Dont own a 22 , wont either .

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks sledjockey… will have to check it out.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Don’t own a .22? I only have 5.

I am excited to get this in. Use pellet guns 9n neighborhood squirrels, rabbits, doves, raccoon, and opossum.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I am at war with mockingbirds . I am winning , I killed 3 of the screechers and not another has moved in to the territory . If I can , I like to wound them , so they cant fly , then I leave it to the neighborhood alley cats to finnish the job . BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

the only air rifle usable after SHTF will be a “break barrel” type, all the other wont be usable once your pump breaks or your gas cylinder runs out, with a break barrel you can hunt all day if you want. I bought an old BSA Meteor at a yard sale, cost me £25 fitted a new breach seal and a new main spring(available on Ebay) and its now a cracking little rifle.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I picked up a Benjamin .22 air rifle at a gun show a couple years ago. The compactness is nice compared to my Diana 48 side cocker. In my youth I shot a few thousand birds but now I like them and rabbits (mostly live trapped these days). Hunting though is different. There has been an evolution in pellets. All kinds of speciality pellets now. And certainly cheap compared to .22LR. Also darts are available. I like darts for indoor pistol shooting. I haven’t tried them in my Benjamin but they should work. It takes a number of pumps to get it up to higher velocity. Unlike the Diana which is cock pull and thwang. Darts at the right velocity seem like they would tumble/penetrate better and be more dangerous than pellets. At least on dogs or similar animals.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think that the air rifles have many uses in a SHTF. Small animal hunting is one. Another use that I think we overlook is that many people will not have the food to take care of there dogs and they will let them go wild. Many of these dogs will attack people after being wild so the air rifle maybe a good weapon to keep them away or stop them.

Another problem will be the over population of rodents that will happen because of all the dead animals, people and trash. The air rifle will be great for stopping rodents.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Good points , I agree . Another good thing about air rifles is that they are pretty quiet , and will not freak out your neighbors . I remember as a kid , that when I went out bird hunting with one , the fact that they are pretty quiet , let me get off another shot at the target if I missed , without it getting spooked enough to fly away .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, you are right, they are so quiet. Also they are cheap!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

And a box of BBs or pellets go a long way .

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

In my youth I brought home few squirrels & rabbits with pellet gun. Mostly .22LR though. I liked the stealth of the pellet gun.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.