Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

Thank you so much for your input, Malgus. To carry a copy of the statute to show The Man is a great idea.

However, it is best to avoid confrontation so, for the time being, I would leave the cutlass in reserve. I find that the best is to go as a gardener and carry a machete or go as Joe Plumber and carry a big pipe wrench.

Where I live, there is a sizeable black ghetto. If I drive through it, as I’m occasionally forced to, each time I reach a stoplight I hear “Hey whitey muddufuckuh! You be a long way from home muddufuckuh!” But, if I walk through it carrying a machete, everyone stares at the tool and says nothing.

As to cops, if you’re decked out in overalls and wear a cap, or hard-hat, that says XYZ Lawn Care or XYZ Plumbing, your machete, pipe wrench or whatever become invisible to them. In fact, the whole of you becomes invisible!

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

Totally agree with you, 74. I would never use a cutlass to slash vegetation under normal circumstances. What I have in mind is a dire emergency. Let’s say they’ve come for you, WROL or no WROL; they are upon you, and your retreat is through the Everglades, Louisiana bayous or similar. It’s finally gloves off, and you want the best blade for fighting. You’re not going to weigh yourself down to run, so two blades is out of the question. That’s when I presume that I would reach for the cutlass rather than the machete and have it do double duty.

Profile photo of pokeranger
    pokeranger
    Survivalist
    member2

do any one know how to use kukri for fighting
    i thought it is similar to bowie but the balance is different

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

you need to learn a different set of blade skills, they swings that are effective are more closely resembling a blunt weapon like a mace due to no point for penetration and mostly hard slashing strokes. without hand guards and wood handles you would be at a great disadvantage with any type of liquids making the grips slick.

Kukuri are heavy weapons for blades and are much slower in close combat for that reason but can take flat edge hits that would shatter normal knives. If i where to train i would look at the Ghurka knife fighting techniques and some of the Assamese tribal which are not on net you will have to find locals that have immigrated over to your area, look in tea business. They will be proud to tell you that they ATE the indian army…. in the end the only way to tame them was to make them eat their own people.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

pokeranger,
    Most fighting blades prior to heavy armour were designed for slashing. A stabbing knife wound just like a pistol wound Is dependent on the injured bleeding out to cease activity. It may take a while. However opponents can be immeadiatly disabled by cutting major muscles and ligaments in limbs and torso. Cutting the ligaments in the elbow below the bicep, above the knee of the quad or behind the knee in the hamstring will disable the power of an opponent. If the blade at the point is sharp it will easily enter a soft area of a body cutting a very wide wound. A neck shoulder hit would be fatal. With my kukri I’m certain I could cut off a hand without using a full force swing.

Profile photo of pokeranger
    pokeranger
    Survivalist
    member2

thanks i made a wooden one to train with

and i think i will go to salugura where a ghurka regement is posted

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Knife fighting with heavy blades like the Kukri orBowie styles are different than the dagger styles.

Both can be quite lethal and effective, but the methodology of use is almost opposite.

The big blades are used more to hack and remove pieces. Targeting fingers, wrists, and yes tendons and arteries/veins. They have the length and weight to get through the tougher materials and structures.

Most daggers, modern combat knives and folders cannot compete. And unless you are using a knife like the Gerber MkII or a Randall you don’t really have the length to work with for deep stabs, so are best using the “death of a thousand cuts” or the “sewing machine” styles.

One thing, outside of movies most professional knife artists use a conventional grip, the blade extending from the hand normally, not the icepick style style so popular in movies.
    It extends the range of the weaoon and doesn’t limit your attack or defensive styles.

For a fairly comprehensive, quick series of lessons on styles and such, take an SKD (spontaneous knife defense) class. Your eyes will be opened.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.