Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Hi Everyone,

Just revisiting my prev. post on fundamentals of EDC ( http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/every-day-carry-edc-foundation-concepts/ ) Obviously it’s perfectly possible to extend these concepts to our Wilderness Survival Kits.

I’m just wondering today, what’s in yours? What type of container do you carry it in? Why? I hear of many people that have store bought kits, or have just assembled a kit following a list, is anyone creating their own or at least tailor making their kit according to the individual, competency, concern and environment?

I know the last few years have seen me vastly change and modify what I carry and how…

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hi Toby!
    I don’t have a designated ‘wilderness survival kit’. When I leave the farm and go out into the great beyond I am always on horseback so, yes, I do always have saddlebags with me if I plan to go more than a 1/2 mile away that have stuff I might need in them. If less than 1/2 mile I have a small backpack. Always a hand gun, long outing – shotgun or rifle (depending where I will be going)

duck tape
    rope
    spare horse shoe and nails
    first aid kit with benadryl cream/ace wraps(for me and my horse)
    canteen with water
    waterproof matches/lighter in waterproof case
    space blanket
    multi-tool (always have my pocket knife with me)
    machete (it’s a small hand held one with serration on one side)
    energy bars and 3 days of dried/powdered meals
    water filter (usually the steripen)
    spare ammo
    flares and solar flashlight

Good or bad that’s what’s worked for me.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

This was my initial kit, very much following the ‘Lofty’ Wiseman model. I liked this a lot, but then did a lot of modifications, especially once I started working solo and in more extreme environments…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Would this be personal kit or camp/vehicle?
    Because bluntly, there’s a great difference.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Personal kit

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Minimalist (safe known area/day trip): Kukuri, skinning/detail knife, diamond hone, firesteel, parracord; all carried on the Kukuri and sheath.
    Kit with more carried in unknown areas/longer trips.
    *full disclosure; basic 1st aid kit also carried. always.

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

I put a my own kit together. I use an old purse of my wife’s to carry. I keep a small stainless cooking pot with lid, tinder, a fire kit (magnifying lens, char cloth, ferro rod, fire piston, and a Bic lighter). I also carry a basic first aid kit, honing rod, and paracord. I either take my Tom Brown Tracker or my kukri. As much as I love my tracker, I think I prefer my kukri. If I’m just going out for a few hours or so I usually only take one of my knives, a steel water bottle, and my fire kit. The reason I carry so many methods of fire starting is because I often have people with me that don’t know anything about bushcraft. So I usually demo a few ways.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Personal kit:

Largent custom hunting knife
    Ferro rod and vaseline balls
    Old rubberized GI poncho
    Matches
    50′ paracord
    20′ Heavy nylon rope
    Screws/nails
    Duct tape
    Baling wire
    Handkerchief 2x and purification tabs
    Canteen
    Stainless cup
    Tea, seasonings, hard rations
    .22 Pistol and ammo

I carry a bit more than some, but then I’ve also had to use these items and found what I need and what works for me.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Great responses so far, thanks for sharing everyone, it’s really interesting too see the similarities and differences in what is carried!

Frozenthunderbolt – What’s in the first aid kit?

Feral Hobbit – What is it your prefer about the Kukri?

Whirlibird – Why the screws, nails and wire?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Screws, nails and wire.

1000% easier to make a wikiup or other impromptu shelter with them.

Trap triggers, packframe and tent pole repairs, the list is extensive.

Certain items just make things easier, these would be a couple.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think the name is a misnomer. There isn’t any wilderness between me and Colorado. No place is more than 10 miles from a road and buildings. I have outdoor equipment for any time I would chose to stay outdoors. With that said I keep a 9×12 camo tarp in my bag for shelter, aspenflage pocho, magnesium shavings + lighter, macthes, striker, water filtration, collapsible water bottle, lights, a gun, knives, cord, compass. Granola bars, first aid. Now that it is getting cold a sleeping bag strapped to the bag. From now until June I want to stay warm & dry.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Here’s my personal safety kit. I did a whole series on this topic: http://goboxstorage.ca/blog/emergency-preparation-personal-safety-kit/.

It’s fun to share these ideas with people that are interested!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of foodforthought
    foodforthought
    Survivalist
    member2

Part of my survival kit prepares me to use whatever dwellings i might come across in the wilderness.
    So although I pack

storage food
    water
    rain cover
    meds
    knife
    gloves/glasses
    paracord
    snares
    jetboil

I also pack
    a door-breaching tomahawk
    adaptors to fit any propane tank

As fun as the outdoors are, I see human resources as equally important, if not more so. And you never know what you’ll find out there.
    If this was a city survival kit discussion, we’d talk about all the things you can use in the city.

upward and onward

Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

This is the survival kit I keep in the hollow synthetic buttstock of my 12ga pump shotgun (I have a similar kit in the hollow synthetic buttstock of my Ruger 10/22.). This is essentially a backup survival kit in case I get separated from other survival gear.

The shotgun has a side pouch that straps onto the buttstock that holds some extra ammo, a cleaning kit, a couple of chokes, some emergency gun parts, a flat choke wrench, a couple of allen wrenches, and adapters for .410, 20ga, and a rifled .22LR adapter. In there is also a small phillips screwdriver I use as both a takedown tool for the shotgun and as a tool to remove the buttpad to access the emergency survival kit.

The items in the emergency survival kit are non-perishable, except for the water purification tabs which I change out once a year. I keep a small supply of 550 paracord on the weapon also, but not inside the buttstock.

A pet peeve of mine are survival kits that don’t include a real knife of some kind that is good enough quality to take and keep a real edge. I also view scissors as extremely useful in a survival kit. If the knife doesn’t have scissors on it, I’ll try and toss into a survival kit, in addition to the knife, either a pair if folding scissors or a small Victorinox Classic that has scissors. A real pair of tweezers is also a must, especially in areas that have cactus. A small pair from a cosmetics department in any store will do. The tiny tweezers in a Swiss Army Knife usually are not tough enough for the job at hand, especially with cactus spines.

Swiss Army Knife – Victorinox Huntsman
    Diamond hone
    Magnesium fire tool
    Compass
    Tweezers (strong enough to remove a cactus spine)
    Fishing gear (lures, fishhooks, swivels, split shot)
    Sewing gear (several sewing needles and safety pins)
    180ft (54.86m) of 50lb strength ‘Spiderwire’ (extremely strong fiber style fishing line that can also be used as sewing thread)
    Snare wire
    Nylon cord (bank line) – 45ft (13.7m)
    A sealed bottle of 50 Aqua-Pure water purification tablets
    Heavy duty Ziploc bag, 1qt (.956 liter) for holding water that needs to be purified (in case a canteen or some other container isn’t available)
    Aluminum foil 1ftx3ft (30.48 cm x 91.44 cm)
    Small pencil

Profile photo of sargemsb
    sargemsb
    Survivalist
    member1

I have carried a butt pack of some variety for over 40 years whenever I leave civilization. These trips include arctic, desert, and jungle environments; so I have fine-tuned my kit for wherever I might happen to be. I now carry it in my truck on the road as well. Here is what I carry in it:

First Aid kit
    Aspirin/Tylenol
    Immodium
    Neosporin
    Bandaids of assorted sizes
    Butterfly bandages
    Military cravat bandage for slings, head bandage, etc.
    Suture kit
    Moleskin
    EMT shears
    Tongue blades
    Hemostats
    Tweezers large and small
    Alcohol swabs
    Que tips
    scalpel
    ACE Bandage

Parachute cord/550 cord – 50 feet
    Knives
    small fixed blade knife
    small folding knife
    Emergency Bivy Sack from Adventure Medical Kits (much better than a space blanket)
    A few zip-lock bags – 1 gallon size
    TP – small roll
    Fire starting kit
    Bic lighter
    Ferro-cerium rod
    Carbide (mix with water to release acetylene gas)
    birch bark
    windproof/waterproof matches
    candles
    Vise Grip pliers – smallest size
    Whistle
    compass
    Head net
    Fishing kit
    10 lb monofiliment – 25 feet
    assorted hooks and flies
    split shot
    Military strobe light – 1 D cell battery – I change the battery once a year.
    Zip Ties – assorted sizes
    Sewing kit
    Needles
    Thread
    Buttons
    Trash Bags – 2 Large Leaf Bags
    Small head lamp – 3 AAA batteries

This kit, added to my (always carried) pistol and extra mags and Surefire flashlight and the Victorinox and Gerber multi-tool and Gerber folder on my belt, has never let me down.

I swear that I will defend the Constitution against all enemies - foreign and domestic. Sargemsb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.