Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I thought this story was so interesting of father and son living in Vietnam jungle for 40 years. But what I found fascinating were these photos of the tools/implements and clothing they made to survive with. Keeping their important stuff inside thick bamboo. Just for interest.

You can read a story for SeattlePI here about them with video.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Really incredible. 40 years is a life time for some.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It is amazing in some ways and in others not so much. We find it amazing because we are living in houses with electricity and plumbing etc. and see it as a step way back. Cultures less dependent on technology can make these transitions more easily. Sounds like they had plenty of food and weapons to hunt with. Of course the kid ended up with no teeth just like primitive cultures everywhere. This factor drastically reduces caloric intake and does the same for efficiency in the field creating a downward spiral.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks tweva! Archeology was among my favorite courses in college. Went on couple of excavations in Wyoming…takes a bit of patience and it’s fun.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Man don’t you know that grass vest had to itch lol. I want to know what brand of pants that guy had since they lasted 40 years. Talk about getting your moneys worth.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>Man don’t you know that grass vest had to itch lol. I want to know what brand of pants that guy had since they lasted 40 years. Talk about getting your moneys worth.

The pants weren’t worn, they wore bark loincloths.

The pants were stored like other items.

Talk about one step from the stone age.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Tweva – great story, thanks. Here’s another one of the same bent. I found this one similarly interesting; it’s actually quite incredible that this family was able to survive like this with the most minimal of tools and through so much adversity for so long. Just goes to show you how strong the survival mindset can be.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/for-40-years-this-russian-family-was-cut-off-from-all-human-contact-unaware-of-world-war-ii-7354256/?no-ist=

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

Very good story. Thanks for sharing it. Makes me think of Ishi.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.