Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey, It is very hard to meet people you can trust. I do understand Lonewolf very well. I just think you need one person that you can trust that is close to your location. This doesn’t mean you are inviting them to your house of BOL just to have someone that can help if you get sick like a health problem.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled, That would not work for me. I like what Whirly has been saying but around here people are a little different then out west. Distrustful and not to friendly, it’s no joke either. Most of the guys at the gun club are probably prepared but they’re all scattered about.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

To thy own self be true. One must never forget that in certain areas of the country we live in occupied territory. People don’t forget once you share info. My area is composed of relatively powerful well established groups (LE FD) and I doubt they would ever accept me as a member. I’m not wealthy politically connected or otherwise leader material. I just wait watch observe and listen. Staying under the radar and out of sight is my only option so I opt for Lone Wolf. This place is already pretty well prepared for a shtf event. Its safe enough for awhile and offers a backdoor to a more remote location if we really do have to get out of dodge.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Sled, That would not work for me. I like what Whirly has been saying but around here people are a little different then out west. Distrustful and not to friendly, it’s no joke either. Most of the guys at the gun club are probably prepared but they’re all scattered about.

Same here.

Hunters like rural.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In the city no one trust you. So it is family only for me.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

my area is fairly safe for the shorter term, its rural and although my neighbours are all townies and commute to a larger place for work they are reasonably friendly-well most are, I can actually see most leaving here in the event of TEOTWAWKI leaving just the elderly and infirm. its fairly well protected in an event with only one road in-to a dead end- same road out again and one pedestrian path in, the filling station and the corner shop are both small and would be emptied long before any outsider could get here. the place isn’t well known outside of the local area and is so small “if you blink-you miss it” as we say over here.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>In the city no one trust you. So it is family only for me.

freedom…. its everywhere, nobody trust nobody, not just cities. Most of us are really loners trying to get along with groupies and failing. The one thing everybody here does unite on is personal survival.
    Groupies tend to blow off the problems and gather around people instead. For the most part they’re helpless in a crisis. Their situation gets worse.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

its better to be alone and realise you have a problem and work to overcome that problem than be with a group of no hopers.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of Gwyddone
    Gwyddone
    member2

This is an interesting question, and in my area, it is a hard one. I, for myself, don’t really like people, and according to some, have a mild AS, but I’m reasonably good in working with them, and with hard work, I developed fine communication skills. But I’m recently started my own small business, and noticed that most of the people are not to be trusted, not even in small fields, not even some old friends. But from my education, I do understand that to be efficient in SHTF, you will need a tight-knit and very organized, very good equipped community.

I am currently aiming to reorganize the volunteers in my district, reapporting the personnel and the technical tools, but it is really hard, and some people, while seemingly eager, already turned to be useless, or – in my precedessor’s case – are simply not qualified anymore as acting personnel because of health issues. I am working with what the local civil protection officers recruited or appointed, but if you yourself aiming to be efficient, it will be very hard to become this alone. In most scenarios, you will be forced to vegetate lonely, and may become overwhelmed with the task – not even geniuses are exempt from this. But if you are not alone, you will have to choose carefully. I am not talking about only recruiting healthy people, but if you know that someone can be a slacker, then maybe you have to reconsider him/her. For one, while I have some very good friends, most of them are not on my list in case of SHTF, simply because they might not be helpful, or just proved that they cannot be trusted in every field.

But if I take my closer family, then I have at least 4 people for canning and dealing with food (and almost all of us can cook), 3 for gardening, 3 who are good in masonry, 4 who won’t shy away from woodwork, 4 who can make clothes from scratch, 2 for protection (and I’m currently training to be better in this), 4 with quite good medical know-how, an engineer, 4 who is in agriculture, and even good with animals and bees, one who can make knives (and most of us are quite handy with tools), one electrician (and 2 other who dabbles), and that’s actually just 10 people. But we still lack many skills, and are not funded very well. If I were really hardcore in prepping, I would recruit more people, but there is the trust issue. I also don’t really know how many people is needed for a self-sustaining community, and frankly, I don’t think I would fare well without electricity. I think I could do jacksh*t alone, so I’d like to aim for a prepping community, but with the general mistrust here, I am pretty much screwed…

"just a little girl"

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Gwyddone, with the way you described your close family you are in better shape than most preppers, but no matter how good our situation, most of us keep chipping away at being better. Few can afford an ideal set up and so we do what we can with what we have. A part of the issue that you haven’t described in the nature of the location….rural, urban, suburban. If rural are there large cities nearby. Is the population generally well armed. How readily available is clean water. Do you have land for growing food & raising animals. All of these factors matter too.

Gwyddone
    member2

MountainBiker, the problem is, we are scattered. Half of the closer family lives in a suburban area, the grandparents are in downtown, and a small part lives farther in a rural area. We have no ‘fort’, and the ones who live in the rural area are laughing off any possibility of a catastrophe. My closest family (mum, dad, sisters) lives in a suburban house, with a small backyard and garden, and while we cultivate the garden, there is not even nearly enough food from it for 6 people. We have rabbits, and considering some hens, but with the dogs it is really hard (on a side note, I’d never guessed that boxers can hunt this well). Noone is armed here, most of the population cannot get weapons, and we are the odd ones with my father’s service firearm and a few non-fuctioning “museal” weapons. Clean water is also a though point, we have a well, but since it is not too deep, the water is really bad, might even be polluted, and while we have the means for purification, I am uneasy using it for anything else but the crops. There is a watercourse through my city, but is really far away from where we live, and also could be polluted (factories), so our best bet is rainwater (for which we have barrels, and I currently arguing for buying a cubic water storage unit). One of my worries is that we live near the main firefighter station, a military barrack, and a hospital, but these are also nice targets while being generally a good thing. A really big shopping centre is also nearby, and could be reached on foot, but we also have well-maintained bikes, and most of us is fit. We also hoard firewood (we have hearths downstairs), and a city park is nearby. My main bet would be bugging in, if SHTF, but I am a bit worried about being in an urban scenario. Given that there is 5 women in a house, and one of my sisters (not even the prettiest one) is a famed beauty, that might be understandable. Most of the people I could think to recruit either lives farther away, and/or don’t give a damn about possible problems. I might be panicking over nothing, but I’d hate to suddenly find myself in a SHTF situation, and not to be prepared… and I’m not prepared.

"just a little girl"

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Yes Gwy but you have a brain….. which is much better than being stupid and useless. As for people you can’t trust, you must learn occlumency my dear. And I might add – own a sharp knife.

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>lonewolf wrote:</div>its better to be alone and realise you have a problem and work to overcome that problem than be with a group of no hopers.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Bugging in may be the best alternative you currently have, and if so having that water storage unit will be important. Ideally being able to get the rural relatives to at least humor you and allow you to ready their home for the rest of the family to relocate to would be great but with that needs to come a plan for exactly who would go there, and how you would get there if the SHTF scenario made normal travel difficult. The rural relatives would also need to understand that they are to say nothing to anyone. None of that is easy. If that is just not feasible, then a focus point should perhaps be what options you have to better secure your home, and whether any of your other relatives (grandparents etc) would be coming to your home.

In my case I am the relative living in a rural area and other than my son, the only prepper in my family. I long ago stopped talking to any of my siblings about this stuff but I do continue to try to slowly bring my daughter & her husband’s awareness along. They don’t get it, but I try a little and a little. When the time comes my son & his wife will come to my place. If possible I will try to get my daughter & her family to come (they live 850 miles from here) but the distance may just make that impossible. If others in my family see the light, I’ll take them in despite my prepping having been a source of amusement for them in the past, but I don’t plan to actively encourage them to come. They all live far away anyway. There are a few friends that I’d take in too, but again I don’t plan on encouraging anyone to come here. Until then I just keep chipping away at becoming more self sufficient.

Gwyddone
    member2

Thanks, Brulen – and actually, I own several knives, all sharpened by my whetter grandpa, and a well-shod boot. What I don’t have is an adequate body mass, and the proper training to use it. I am fast and flexible, but not long ago a close call showed me that if a big guy can grip me, only luck helps ( in that case, the fact that he was drunk, and was in inequal footing). In that particular case, I had to use several hard kitchen utensils, and after fleeing, five well-trained friends.
    I also regret the fact, that while I’m trying to learn, I am still terrible at reading people. I envy one of my acquitances, who managed to create a well-knit, small, but judging from the skill ensemble, a very effective community – at the other end of the country. It took years for him, so maybe I am not without a speck of hope.
    Other question, after reconsidering everything. Is a woman acceptable as an organizing force? Now I am facing some prejudice in my line of work, but in previous experience, most of my subs didn’t have a problem with my gender. Age was a more serious problem (I’m really babyfaced). Since I am considering to create a community, I am really afraid of this…

"just a little girl"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think you have a handle on the water if you save all the rain water for drinking and the well water for planting. Need more ways to grow food, save a lot of seeds. Remember when the SHTF everyone will be helping with the planting since they will know they need the food.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.