Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Lonewolf, I think you are right. You will do better by going with your nature. For some that will be group living. For others it will be going it alone. People forget that groups can make us stronger but groups can also slow us down and make us weaker.

Personally, I know I’m not much of a “team” player either. Without my family, I would go it alone too. :)

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>The article states the obvious for us here, but I wish it delved more into how to develop a group without breaking OPSEC with those who aren’t going to join you. If I suspect someone might be of similar mindset I drop a subtle hint or two but if they don’t bite I back off and say nothing more.

I don’t really see how anyone (especially here in the UK) can get a group going prior to SHTF and forming one of strangers post SHTF is just fraught with danger to my mind, that why groups here tend to be family ONLY and as my family numbers me +1 its not a very big group.

British Survivalist.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>c wrote:</div>Lonewolf, I think you are right. You will do better by going with your nature. For some that will be group living. For others it will be going it alone. :)

Personally, I know I’m not much of a “team” player either. Without my family, I would go it alone too. :)

thank you, I have never been a team player, I always preferred being alone, was an “only” child and spent lots of time on my own, I’ve always said alone does not mean lonely-such a word is not in my vocabulary. I have trust issues, I cant just trust anybody I don’t know. there is an old prepper saying ” if you don’t know them, if you haven’t worked with them or spent time with them, then don’t trust them”. I live by this saying.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

lonewolf, I think that for you a group is out of the question but I do think having someone close by that if you run into a problem or get sick is a good idea and you can work something out with them were you also prepare an aid supplies to help them too. This is something to think about. I have no problem you going it alone just have a backup plan if you get sick.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

at one time I heard about something called a “mutual aid agreement” or something like it between groups but it seems to have died a death. trouble is there is no one around here I would trust, not that I can see many people around here staying if it got really bad, mind you that would suit me fine, save me the bother of bugging out.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Security is the biggest issue being alone or with just a few people. Any task that makes noise or requires focused consentration will make observing approaching individuals very difficult. Sleeping is obviously a problem. Some form of infallible remote detection and alarm will be needed.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I suspect a lot will have to do with the type of SHTF scenario we are facing. Like many of you, aside from immediate family, no one knows the level of my preparation. However, observing people around me, I have forged relationships with people that can be trusted in a difficult situation. I’ve observed how they handle storms, power outages etc. Just simple things. Talking to a widow on my street. She told me how she enjoyed being on her high school shooting team. Guess who will be getting one of my guns during any unrest.

Is it a perfect system, most likely not, but at least I feel I can identify some likely allies with some confidence.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I am also not so sure that letting other, less prepared and ill equipped people drag me down is a good way to survive a SHTF situation. It really all depends on what happens and when. Unfortunately, 90% of Americans have a misconception that someone will come to save them if something happens. Of the remaining 10% only about 10% of those are going to be able to take care of business if something does happen. I have a hard enough time getting along with .1% of the people I meet and only 6 of the hundreds I know are SHTF minded (only 2 I can stand). Even though I am considered “the person I am going to go find if anything ever happens” by almost everyone I am acquaintances with, I would not consider any but maybe 10 as anything but a liability. Most of those don’t have preps at all.

No one around me preps like me, educates and trains themselves as much as I do, or has the skill set I have. There is no way I could create a group that would up my survival chances, even with security as the goal.

Good thing I have family that I have trained and put supplies back. That is am “group” as I can feasibly see myself with.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    I’m guessing that your comments would probably apply to many reading the forum. I expect to have some family show up that will have few skills beyond domestic activities. But those still need doing and if they can stay awake for three hours at a time they can do watch. It would be nice to have a trained team ready for anything but I don’t see how I can make that happen.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Going it alone will be tough if your lucky and impossible if Murphy shows up. I don’t trust others to prep and try and have things set to make it on my own with my family. One thing our family has done is instead of trying to add people to our group we have learned who in the area has the skills we lack. The area our BOL is in is very rural. We have started making friendships in the area. We haven’t discussed prepping with them so much as just found out where the doctor lives or where the old guy lives who can work on everything from an old steam engine to a Mercedes Benz. I am finding through course of conversation that many in the area prep so they have their own setup. I am thinking more of networking I guess. Have things to trade for services or skills needed. There is one though that if something happened and we had to bug out from our BOL we could go to their place.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

As noted in the past, my thinking was to move to a setting where most people have some level of practical skills, and to then make myself part of the community. Come SHTF, being a stranger anywhere is not an advantage. I have no knowledge of any of my neighbors being preppers but most folks here do some combination of raising animals (cows, sheep, chickens), veggie gardening, fruit trees & bushes, hunting/fishing, or the various trades (carpentry, electrical etc). One neighbor is a nurse. A medical doctor recently bought a place about half a mile up the road. Come SHTF, my hope is we will come together for mutual aid and support.

There has been lots of discussion about needing groups in order to have 24/7 security, but there is more than that to think about. There is a reason farm families had lots of kids. There is a lot of manual work involved with being self sufficient, and more skills involved than is typical of any single person having. The plan is my son & his wife will come to my place. My hope is my daughter & her family will too, though that is far from assured given distance issues. My son has a small survival group that have a BOL more designed as a temporary refuge than a live there forever place, and I told him he can bring a couple of his friends here if they can make it. This is my approach at least.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Sled. I have to agree with you for much of what you say, however at the same time I have developed a group of people that I know and associate with whose skill sets are useful now and after a SHTF situation.

One friend, a longtime contractor (construction) and Vietnam vet, while his combat skills are beyond ancient and his physical abilities are greatly reduced from his time ‘in country’ in the mid-60’s, he’s still a better than fair cowboy and can hunt/fish like no other.
    One neighbor, cans everything. She’s a Wyoming liberal, (only owns 6 guns) and because of her health never leaves town. Sponge or valued asset?

Just had a customer leave the shop, nice kid, half my age but interested in prepping, and getting his gun collection in order as well as more training. Had I not opened my mouth during a class, I wouldn’t have had a decent asset in him, while not in ‘fighting trim’, he’s a harder worker and smarter than 95% of people I’ve met.

Much depends on the people you ‘cultivate’ and how.
    Come off like a Doomsday Prepper reject, who’s paranoid about every .gov conspiracy, black helicopters, and the like, and you’re not going to gather the right people around you regardless of good intent.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

MB my approach sounds very similar to yours. My in laws and I already live on the same piece of property but in different houses. We will all be leaving together to bug out if the time comes. I have a very close friend who lives in the town where our BOL is located. He has lived there for several years. I have met many of the people in that town through him. You might try and find a place like you described and forge a friendship with a well known local. That could pay big dividends having a local that will vouch for you during SHTF.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Just a random thought……. Considering some of us are antisocial (me and Lonewolf) and Whirlibird mentioned meeting someone at a class, what do you guys think about sites like Meetup? There are prepper groups and classes on there. You think that is safe or just a self registration program?

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

My thinking is that while places like that are not intended to be malicious and are in fact like minded people trying to get together, what keeps the likes of NSA or some other group from hacking in and getting whatever intel that is available. I will stick with my friends and folks that have been vetted by other people I trust.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.