Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I understand, Whirli, and I certainly wouldn’t ask someone what denomination they belong to or their religious beliefs on day 1. In fact, I almost never ask. I just tell the truth as the Bible has told, if the message is not welcome, I brush off my sandals and move along… just as instructed.

The reason for me mentioning the ‘luke-warmness’ of faith as I should have put it, was that it was relevant to the book, and I am in agreement with the author.

I certainly don’t mean to inflame and hope I’m not viewed any differently hereafter. Now, back to prepping for this guy!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Whiteknight , no worries , your entitled to your beliefs as much as anybody . I am Christian , however , there are some things about Judaism that I feel are also positive and put into practice .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Don’t worry about it WhiteKnight. Any successful family has sibling squabbles so to speak.

Tolik, I too have great respect for the Jewish people and for Judaism. They have held true to their faith against great odds for thousands of years and have been key contributors to Western society throughout. Where I grew up most everyone was either Catholic or Jewish and the two groups got along without any tension or discord. I went to CCD classes through 11th grade and the nuns were always respectful of the Jewish people in anything they said. I was in college before I ever even knew there was such a thing as anti-Semitism. And now here we are these many years later and we have a President that favors Muslims over Jews.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I have an overwhelmingly positive view of the Jewish people and their religious beliefs and agree with them on many points! Glad to hear you guys understand!

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

There are a dozen religions on the planet. People inventing ways to spend their time. I like technology and science better. The mind works in mysterious ways and our physical bodies are all subject to the laws of nature. Gnothi seauton. To each his own.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    You may find this of interest:
    “Tech titans’ latest project: Defy death
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/04/04/tech-titans-latest-project-defy-death/

I don’t believe they can will ever achieve transfer or duplication of a human mind complete with emotions, imagination, and a personality. I’m a bit scared of what they might create unintentionally.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

The scepter of unintended consequences is always lurking in the background. It seems as though that humans have always tried to harness immortality. How many stories have we read, movies and tv shows have we watched that focus on this. So once again the super rich guy tries to buy his way out of death by supporting research that is very edgy to say the least. Even if he misses by a mile, which he probably will, they may discover something to help cure a debilitating disease.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Perhaps some good will come of it in the form of certain disease treatments, and it is a good thing to see these billionaires donating their money towards something potentially useful rather than personal indulgences, Of course deep down they are all hoping their money will keep them alive forever. Having spent plenty of time visiting the in-laws in a nursing home and an uncle in an assisted living facility, I am not convinced that keeping people alive longer is necessarily a good thing. My in-laws wouldn’t have lived as long as they did (87 & 95) without lots of medical services and in their final years there was no quality of life. It was depressing to go to the nursing home. The patients suffering from dementia in their wheelchairs or bedridden were totally zoned out and oblivious to everyone and everything. There were women holding dolls thinking they were real babies. Perhaps even worse because they were aware of their existence were the ones without dementia wearing Depends, and unable to do much of anything for themselves. Warehousing even more old people in nursing homes for even more years because medicine can keep them alive should not be viewed as a good thing because they lived longer. I realize these billionaires have as a goal everyone being eternally young and healthy, but thus far the medical industry has focused on quantity rather than quality.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

MB, The rich are the ones who have the resources. Over 65 you can’t get a heart transplant and maybe not even a stent if you’re on Medicare. Living to 100 with a good quality of life may be all you can expect from this research (provided you’ve got the right DNA). From what I’ve heard the U.S.
    Isn’t the top of the food chain in this kind of research. Let’s just hope the future doesn’t have HG Wells monsters – the Morlocks.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I figure they will come up with something new and probably beneficial. It just won’t be what they thought they would find. Cost is the other factor, who can afford to buy the new technology. The greatest inventions were ones everyone could benefit from, like electricity & indoor plumbing. I could hardly care less about Branson developing civilian space flight for tourism.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

If nothing else, the millions they’re spending is providing lots of good jobs and putting money into Main St. instead of just Wall St. In a way I hope they don’t succeed though. Anything they come up with will likely only be affordable for the top economic and political tier. A class of very long lived elites would further separate them from the reality of ordinary people. It would not be good for society as a whole.

Profile photo of cpa23@cox.net
    cpa23@cox.net
    Survivalist
    member2

Psalms 127: 1
    Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.

Ancientserpent
    Ancientserpent
    Survivalist
    member1

The entire human race would be better off it there were NO religions. Period.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Have to disagree , Religions give people hope , strength , and purpose in extreme situations . Like everything else , they can be perverted . Religions are not bad , its some of the people that practice them that are bad . Better to live in a world of moral order than one where anything goes .

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

God is real. He has brought us through our own personal hell, and out the other side. Those who think they can/should live without Him are missing SO much. With Him, everyday miracles bring delight even on the darkest days.

I agree with you, Tolik. Those who yearn for the ‘freedom’ of anarchy have no idea how terrible the reality would be. But we may see some of it in our lifetime…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.