Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sisterpine
    sisterpine
    Survivalist
    member1

Hello! I have spent the last two year searching, almost daily, for a piece of land in the desert of Arizona where I can build my homestead. During this search I have, on several occasions become overwhelmed with information I have searched for and found. It occurred to me recently (better late than never, right) that the only way I was going to locate my slice of heaven was to make a prioritized list of my requirements. Duh! It is so easy to shop with the emotions (ask me, I have actually been in a grocery store and home depot!); and such a different and much easier process to shop with a list of what I require. The first thing on the (must have) list is access to plentiful water. That one is pretty easy…I do not want a shared well, or a rainwater only system. But what is more important two bathrooms or existing trees (this is desert remember). I would think that everyone’s list will be different- at least a bit different. The point is that when searching for my slice of desert heaven…if it does not have a good private well already established I need look no further at this parcel- no matter how lovely it is, no matter how perfect the location is etc. Once I locate a parcel with adequate water I can move on to my second must have and so on. There should not be a long list of must haves as these are not “wants” more likely “needs”. Wants can be just what they are…dreams, for a very long time.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Just the other day, I saw a link about this! Here’s the detail from the article I was reading:

“If you go on landwatch.com its not hard to find a nice plot of land over 10 acres with water, trees, and arable land and for under $30,000. With these resources in mind, its not hard to imagine building a shelter built from natural materials.”

Apparently it’s a specific site to search just like you are trying to do on your own. It might be worth a look. Here’s the article where I saw it: http://www.depthcharged.us/?p=106. (It may have even been from this site, so sorry if it’s a repost – I read so much per day that I forget where I got it all! Incidentally, I am not affiliated with the referenced organization in any way, and I haven’t used their services, so caveat emptor.)

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Buy your property as close to the source of running water as possible. This way will help you control that source of water and keep you from having to rely on water someone else may have polluted.

Robin

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Robin says,

Buy your property as close to the source of running water as possible.

I would caution not to build too close. Be aware of the potential for flooding in times of heavy rains, such as in the spring time. If possible, look for a high spot of ground to build on. People already living in the vicinity of where you are planning to build can probably give you a bit of history on the area concerning weather patterns and rainfall amounts.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

land is expensive here in the south west UK, there is land available if you have the cash but finding the money is the hard part.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.