Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

My brother and his family are in St johns. They were completely lost with our last bad power outage escapade. Yet I live a twenty min drive from St Johns, but also have another twenty min boat ride as well. We faired a heck of a lot better then they did.

Our Plans are to bug in till we have no choice but to leave. My house hold consists of a family of four, with the addition of two families one of two/three (My father Crow’s family) and another of four.
    So it rounds down to being six adults, one 16 yr and a 4 yr, and possably a 20 yr a seven yr old and nine year old.

We have bug-out bags ready.
    four vehicles,which are two trucks, one RV, and one 15ft boat and two trailers.
    plus two quads and one trike.
    Water, fire starters, Cloths, first aid kits, the 16yr old has her first aid aswell.
    We have camp stoves and heaters, and a generator and the fuels needed.
    Protection wise we do have weapons and dogs.
    And Cbs installed.

I pressure can and dehydrate our foods.
    Staying wise I can garden, and we have chickens. But we do have wild rabbits roaming here and a boat to fish from.

If we where to leave here, most of it would come with us to a rural area, which is off grid.
    We do spend upwards of three months a year there.

this is our plans feel free to add your own. Note much like mine you dont need to go into full detail ex: how much food and ammo you have or the directions to places that would gave away anything you don’t want shared.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Due to age and physical concerns, our plan is to bug in only. It is unlikely we will be able to go anywhere or get very far under any true SHTF situation. But with that in mind, we are fairly well equipped to last a good while in this location. Still working on trying to put together a MAG, but having trouble connecting with others of like mind.

We have a solid 6 month supply of food at this point, and the ability to grow more in our garden. There is also the ability to pressure can and dehydrate food. The garden is doing well and there is some local hunting available for mostly small game and fishing. We have a good selection of medical supplies, tools, water filtration, and firearms. I also reload to add to our supply of ammunition. There is a good selection of outdoor clothing and several alternate ways to provide heat and to cook food.

Our greatest weakness is water collection and storage. Also, even though we can defend ourselves from a small localized conflict of maybe one or two people, because of my physical problems any firefights are out of the question. A large group of well-armed, and committed attackers will make short work of us. So, we may not last long, but we gave it our best shot. :)

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Plan is to bug out at the first sign of trouble. I don’t wanna stuck in the city (again) when SHTF.
    Still, living option to be caught (again) in the city, so having some preps there too.
    BOL is in rural settings, with group of close connected group with different skills.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

We’re a good hour away from a metro area. Well off the beaten path. We’ll be bugging in. Don’t really have anyplace else to go, so here we make our stand, for good or bad.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of dmarie
    dmarie
    Survivalist
    member2

We are staying where we are and have been prepping for years! We may have a possible location to go to but it is not a priority for us. We do not live very close to any ghetto areas and the locations that do have a lot of that are separated by bridges and water which can be cut off easily by authorities.

We decided to stay put for several reasons; 1. the weather here is reasonable and survivable. 2. When we looked into other locations in the United States there were too many states participating in fracking. Since our youngest is a cancer survivor we did not want to risk moving somewhere where this type of mining is going on. 3. Access to water is pretty easy here. 4. Prices are better than other areas. 5. Gun laws are pretty good. Castle law is very strong here. I.E, castle law is the right to protect self and property.

Things we have done.

Water filtration is done. We have whole house filter system plus faucet systems. We also have a 22 thousand gallon pool and storm pond two houses away. We have these portable water filters http://store.seychelle.com/Products-Std._Filtration_Bottles.html with plenty of replacement filters. Each one will filter 100 gallons of water.

Just got four 55 gallon drums to reclaim rain water as well. That is not installed yet. Another project waiting for my action.

Food for at least one year. Food dehydrator, camp stove, plenty of propane plus grill. Just learned about a stove to cook on made out of cinder blocks. That is my next project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s816p6mus8g

Set for several different types of weapons, know how to use them and plenty of ammo. Shotguns are the best and we have two of them.

Tons of candles I have collected from garage sales. The best are the very large ones with three or more wicks. In power outages we have used these and they last a long time. Crank flashlights, tons of batteries plus rechargeable batteries.

Been making my yard into a permaculture paradise : ) Learning gardening in semi tropical weather has not been easy. Have lots of sugar cane, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, pigeon pea trees, moringa trees, citrus, mango, banana, avocado, papaya, grapes, figs, peaches and pomegranate growing. Sounds like a lot of food but when and if SHTF it is paltry. Gardening is hard work and the harvest is taken by animals and bugs.

So far the best food producers are sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, sugar cane, celery, scallions, Moringa trees and pigeon pea trees.

Two large freezers full of food. Generator to run freezers and one a/c unit. Metal shutters for our windows with security cameras around our house plus security lights. Window film on all windows plus locks. If windows get broken we can use the metal shutters.

Our doors are metal security framed and barred. When installed we also added metal to our wooden door frame and the security doors were installed with three inch screws. It would be near impossible to get through our doors. We were robbed in 2007 and learned from this incident. No one was home or harmed. It was a smash and grab through the front door, hence steel security doors.

I have been stocking up on shoes and clothes for every member of our family for a couple of years. Including underwear and socks. Here in the US I have noticed that quality of goods has gone down markedly. 100% cotton is getting harder and harder to find.

We have enormous amounts of books and music (my two passions). I figure we may need entertainment as we do not know how this whole thing will unfold. Many of the books are reference books covering many subjects like home medicine, remedies, using herbs, farming gardening, etc. We also have an assortment of board games and musical instruments.

I make my own fertilizer and it works well. Right now diseases are killing off avocado and citrus in Florida. But my trees are coming back because I spray them with fermented seaweed that I make in a garbage can.

I have tried to think of everything like soap and matches, bandages, first aid, canned goods, other types of weapons that are silent, dog food for many months, dog chews, beans of every kind in canned and dried, meat, sugar, tea, coffee, shampoo, condition, toilet paper, moist wipes, whew, so much stuff. Vitamins, antibiotics, many home remedies, and so on. Its a lot of work but as time has gone on we are feeling more and more secure.

We had chickens and gave them away. If SHTF they are way too noisy to have around. Our friend and neighbor and I are looking into raising rabbits because they are QUIET. Every time a hen lays an egg she has to announce it to the world and makes so much noise they can be heard a block away.

Our cars are older but in very good shape.

I feel pretty set up. We learned all this stuff in 2005 when central florida was hit by several hurricanes. For us there was never a direct hit, some fear and power outages but nothing life threatening. We did learn a lot from the experience and this was one of the things that started us prepping.

My husband and I are both street smart having grown up in big cities. We know we can survive many scenarios. One has to have security within themselves first, then the rest comes.

I believe that man always rises to the occasion. Witness WWI and WWII, terrible times yet the stories of valor and survival are incredible. Hopefully, what ever happens is not a complete melt down of social order and is just a great depression with subsequent violence and looting that is temporary and contained. There are so many positive things happening such as home gardening, chicken raising, etc. People are getting self sufficient. All of these things are positive and good.

Sorry, I did not plan to make this so lengthly. Hope it sounds okay. : )

dmarie

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Wise, smart, hard-working woman and her family dmarie! Sounds great. Who cares about length? Loved reading about you and yours

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Interesting setups. Dmarie, you seem to live a preppers dream in terms of what you already did. Good luck with the gardening. We are also heavily into permaculture but just get started.

I had food for a year while living in Europe but we just recently relocated again back to South East Asia and live currently in a major urban area. At the same time we build our homestead in a rural area surrounded by mountains and national parks.

We are going to permanently live there once we are finished building it in 2-3 months. It is off grid with a solar system, with a well and rainwater collection. We have a lot of fruit trees already but will have a lot of work in terms of cultivating other plants in the months and years to come.

We are 1,5 hours away from a bigger city but no major roads pass by. They pass by a different valley. The community in our valley is pretty tight knit and we try to blend in by being useful. We will learn a lot more in the medicine / first aid area in the coming years to be simply considered a valuable asset. That is pretty much the best insurance we can have besides keeping good relationships with our neighbors.

I will also look for an area deeper into the mountains and if possible try to get some land there. This is just to have another option. A fallback location if trouble comes to our valley. Most people around us are pretty poor farmers (but they are happy!) so they still know how to take care of themselves.

We also have quite a couple of alternative projects in the area. Several permaculture projects, organic farms and similar places. I hope this will get even more because it attracts the right kind of people (also some are a bit too “hippie” but they do care about sustainability and living of the land and that matters).

If things turn ugly in Asia but everything is still fine in Europe, of course I also consider to simply move back to Europe (at least for some time). Of course this decision has to be well informed because I don’t have a sustainable setup in Europe.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

We live in a somewhat rural setting. We have chickens and plan to get goats for milking after we complete a few other things. Our state is full of cities, so being rural out here means we are only 30 minutes from bigger cities.

I have been prepping water, food and first aid supplies for 7 years now. We are in the process of building rain gutters onto our home. Our immediate issue is home security because my dogs are friendly, and as I described in another thread I have glass windows and doors all over this house. People don’t typically have basements here because of earthquakes so being on a slab the basement idea is not doable unless we come up with some cool idea elsewhere on this property and have the funds to back it up. lol

I have printed out a lot of how-to info off the web and printed hard copies of everything I think I need to know and put it in binders and tabbed it so I can find it. If the grid goes down then cds or dvds won’t do me any good.

Canning and dehydrating are skills I have learned in the last 4 years and do pretty regularly. For instance, during certain holidays certain meats go on sale (like Turkey at Thanksgiving) so I will buy about 10 of them and can them. And I do this with ham, chicken breasts, and bacon too. When certain fruits or veges go on sale in their season I buy a bunch of it and dehydrate it too. I make it a habit to buy a few packs of canning jar lids every time I shop certain stores just to build up a supply to stash away.

I am learning to make my own rugs and blankets. I think this is a good skill, especially if clothing can be recycled to make these things. During the great depression people did the very same thing.

We have 2 wood burners and a big fireplace inside our home that we could cook on and heat the house with in a grid down situation. We have an outdoor fireplace that could be used in the summer.

We frequently go to second hand shops and look for things like cast iron cookware and leather coats to repurpose for other needs. Never know what you will find in those places.

As far as bugging out we are bugging in. If they do Rex 84 type round ups then we will fight back so they won’t take us alive. If we need to evacuate for some reason then I have no certain plans. We aren’t old but we aren’t young either and I can’t see myself roughing it in the woods eating bugs, wrestling bears, and trying to survive a cold winter on foot. But who knows????? Never thought I’d be living here either!?!?

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Awesome nlouise. I have started the same with rugs and blankets!! I live in the cold, so these are important to us as well.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

nlouise, very impressive. Looks like y’all have come a long way in your preps. I only wish we were that far advanced. Wishing you the best.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Here’s where I’m currently at:
    I have a one month food supply for five people and three cats.
    I would be bugging in (if possible) with my mother, aunt, and sister (who is currently 3-4 hours away at college) if we could get her home.
    I haven’t been able to link up with a lot of reliable preppers in my area, so I haven’t been able to build a team like I want to.
    I practice with firearms very often, but would like to be able to practice bushcraft-related skills more.
    I’m thankful to be prepared, even just a small amount counts.
    Hannah

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

if it happens when im at camp, my wife and kids will be 1000 km away. a daunting aspect.while camp is secure i would have to go get them, and head back. if any gov troubles are existing, i assume travel restrictions would be in place, i do not like this thaught. if it was complete collapse there would most likely be bands of hoodlums and such running amuck. so i gave her my truck, fuelled up and ready for her to get out of town and go to her friends place who has a farm. good folks, ex-military. i fool myself all the time, the camp is ready, i am ready, only if we are there in camp is it realy true. in all honesty a slim chance we all will make it to camp if we wait till after shtf. but i have seen hope, and she is bright…

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.