Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Freedom posted about the scenario of a possible EMP attack on the US and this got me thinking.

There is a lot that can happen and probably will happen in the next couple of years and thats why we prepare and try to stay on top of things.

If you would have a time machine and could travel 10 years into the future and see yourself, what would you see? Where and how would you live about 3652 days from now?

I see myself living at our homestead. Hopefully by then we have worked out all the kinks of growing our own food and settled some more good people around us. A lot of my friends are interested in “living the simple life” (thats an improvement from complete ignorance and reliance on the system) and some might be living next to us. We plan on getting more land in the coming years so we can pick our neighbors ourselves.

I also think that we have been already through the demise of the western nations and people are more focused on local economies. I think self reliance is mainstream by then and in some countries we might even see political parties formed around this idea.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I may well be saying, “What? Speak up, sonny!”

Really, I don’t know what to think. I have a natural predisposition to think that “as it has been, so it will continue”; which perhaps is an odd view for a prepper.

I do expect there will be considerable political and economic tumult in the next ten years in many places in the world, and as I live in a very precarious personal situation it is likely to have an impact on me.

I really don’t like to play the religion card here because it annoys people who don’t share in it, but I would be a humbug if I didn’t say that I have relied upon Jehovah and Jesus Christ to keep me going for the past nearly twenty years, where any week in that time could have seen me out on the street, and for many years before that when a lot of very bed things happened to me. Therefore I thank him for keeping me in a good situation during all that time when I have had no prospects and little money. I expect that in ten years time, if I am still here, I will still be in his care, whatever my circumstances may be.

I know none of this answers the actual question, but I really can’t picture my situation in ten years. time.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

10 years ? crap , I cant even determine where I will be in the next 5 . Things are changing too rapidly , with things waiting to drop on all of us ……….who the hell knows . We will just have to adjust to it all , and roll with the punches as they come in .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Successful businessman, selling my companies for a tidy profit.
    Preps fully done, just improving and rotating.
    Enjoying a third term of conservative strength in state and federal government.

A person can dream.

Realistically, I can’t say about next year, things are just too unusual lately to predict.

But I hope to have my garden going soon, we have four hunters in the family this year, the freezer should be full (hope to need another freezer).

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

10 years is a long time but I think that by then the U. S. is coming out of what we are in the middle of right now. America is full of people that love to build things, invent things and product things. So if we get back the freedoms we had then Capitalism will come back in full force. Americans love to be a business owner. If you ask Americans if they would like to own a business you would get many say yes.

America invents and China makes the product, we will turn that and make more product here. The problem for China is that they do not invent products so without the inventions China is nothing, it will have money but there people are not free to invent and keep all there profits. So America will come back even stronger.

That is what I believe. Many may die to get America back but it will happen!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

With gas prices sitting pretty at 143.3 for reg here. In ten years I figure I’ll be walking, or biking on the lands around our BOL and making it our permanent home.Being almost 50 at that time, I hope we are finally settled completely with our off grid life.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I see myself out of the city, living of the land, far from the dense populated area, with people who I know and I can work with on building community.
    I think big events gonna happen much earlier, maybe few years from now.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Freedom you are wrong more patents files by china than usa last year a growing trend.

Husky get a horse more maintenance but will let you know if anything near and can be useful for muscle for farming applications. at worse a lot of meat.

In 10 years is a tough one now with so many paths open and the change coming. I hope to be retired at my bol and a gentleman farmer. Though life has rarely allowed such simple choice made by me to be part of its plan for me.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

namelus, I just can see China making it without freedoms to create, many of what they are doing has been stolen from many countries around the world. They still do not product any good autos, not one. They have the money now just like Japan did and everyone 15 years ago thought that Japan was taking the world over.

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

China is putting out some very advanced research currently (for an example see , and the British motoring show Top Gear (not a strictly serious show but they do have some good facts in amongst the fast cars and silly challenges) did a show on Chinese cars a few seasons ago and what they are producing has been improving incredibly fast. When you have the will and the manpower to throw into a project, very few things will remain impossible forever. China has that will, the manpower, and the resources to achieve a staggering amount in a very short time.

They are even starting to stop the increase in air pollution in the bigger cities (reversing it and getting it down to levels most other countries would find minimally acceptable will take quite a while though).

Now where do I see myself in 10 years? Hopefully working at the same university but in a better paying computer support job, the house all paid off, and my “urban farm” turning out a sizable portion of our food. Maybe even with a well drilled for water, apparently the water table is is “only” about 40-50 feet down here, kind of surprising here in the desert.

Basically same as now, but better cushioned from any disruptions from the economy, politics, environment, etc.

Rob

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Guys no one here has answered the question that I have asked. If China becomes the super power then which Countries will buy there products if the U. S. middle class goes down? Once the U. S. goes down so will China because we are the consumers. I do not see any other consumers in the world like the ones in the U. S.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Hopefully I will be at this location. The 1,750 acres, historic site and lake are in the process of transferring from a US Government property to a local county property. There again I was not looking for this vocation/location when I came here the first time.

Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    People in China will buy their own goods just like we did prior to globalization. They have 1.3 billon potential buyers. Then there is Russia & India.

The true wealth of a nation comes from using inexpensive natural resources and energy. Those 2 things are what drove the US economy until the 60’s when buracracy started to really get in the way. When those go away and all you have is paper shufflers then it’s all monopoly money because there is no true value or commodity.

China & Russia have vast untapped resources with no regulatory busy bodies to drive the costs up. It is almost like free money, dig it up and sell it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, Russia and China do have a lot of resources but they are Communist Dictatorships with not a lot of freedoms for there people. That is the key for them to make it let the 1960’s here, The U. S. was a Capitalism with all the freedom to do, think and own with no government in your way which we do not have now but China and Russia do not have that ether so I am not sure if they can make it on there own.

So fare in history there has not been a Communist country make it big like the U. S. did. Yes we are not there anymore but that is because of all the regulatory bodies the government has now.

The Chinese have less regulations but the government owns everything, they are a partner with every business in China. This is why there is not that many regulations there.

Russia was going in the direction of letting the people own many business but Putin has changed that back so we will see. The two countries need to open up there markets to there own people so they can be 100% owners which they are not able to do today.

I know this was a long response but when it comes to what freedoms these two countries have I do know a lot. I have done some business in China.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Assuming I am still alive (one never knows LOL), I will be right here, where I am now. Will the world be the same? IMHO absolutely not.

Personally I believe that sometime very soon (within a year, perhaps 2) there will be some form of another economic calamity that will have repercussions around the world. Banks and governments are so big, one hand does not know what the other hand is doing. As well, I fully expect that, given the ever-increasing levels of volcanoes erupting and earthquakes being registered all over the world that several countries (including US) will suffer some very large natural disaster that will shock us.

I do fully expect that some ‘mighty mite’ of a dictator or country will shock the world and start a devastating war that will quickly escalate. I think the Chinese will be a lead player in creating further havoc. While Putin/Russia is now problematic, I fully believe that the Russian people have long, deep memories of their time under leaders like Putin is turning to be; and, will in the end rise up and help in whatever conflict arises. I also believe that in my lifetime, there will be some sort of natural earth/pole shift that will, from the human perspective, devastate land masses and shore lines in many countries, including my own. The changes in the poles/ice cover etc tell my gut that this is where that is probably leading to.

I don’t think the next 10 years will be anything similar to the life I now experience. Fully expect either terrorist or natural calamity here in US to take down portions of the grid. Surprised it hasn’t happened yet. Fully expect to basically use hand tools and other ‘old ways’ here on the farm. Fully expect to be riding horses to get around and not driving a car.

IMHO, between the precarious state of some many areas of the world and mother nature?, I think life as we know it at the moment can and will change very rapidly – the world is a tinderbox now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.