Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

An interesting thread to revive for the perceived chaos on the borders of the world. The economy is in bigger trouble than any of the politicians want to admit during a presidential election. Facebook news has given way to prepper news on drudge.

Today we got a phone call from BJs on a recall in this area of frozen peas and corn. Listeria.
    Fist it was the peas, we got a letter. Then we got the call for the corn. I had eaten the corn of course and gotten sick.

It sucks not trusting the food supply anymore.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Seems like most of the produce in the grocery stores near me buy crops from Mexico. Somehow I have difficulty believing they use the safest chemicals etc. I haven’t been looking at the packages of frozen veggies for country of origin but I suspect when I look Mexico will be on many items.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Unless the labeling makes it clear that the item comes from the US, I just assume it is imported. Do not confuse “Packaged in US” or “Distributed by (with a US address)” as meaning the product is from the US.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Right, MB! These days, ” Made in USA” is still a selling point in America, so those US companies which can legitimately make that claim, usually do so.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

A story in the news …. in 2017 China is going to start rationing food to the u.s.. Thay apparently lack sufficient farmland themselves and have been been buying heavily in the American farm and food processor market. Made in America will be the first trademark they attempt to eliminate. One more thing the u.s. Won’t control in the future. They could change our whole food production system because of their extensive use of GM species.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Brulen, China cannot come close to feeding it’s own people. This is why they have been buying so much farmland in Africa. It will not end well for the African people. I believe they have been buying farmland in South America too though to a lesser extent than in Africa. The US can still feed itself and a bunch of others (China being one of the primary purchasers of American foodstuffs). A lot of the imports from China is their buying it here, then processing it there, and then shipping it back. It is amazing that somehow costs less than just processing it here.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

And we eat it…. :-(

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Exxon profit lowest since 1999. Even lower than 2009 after the 2008 crash !!!

I will definitely be stocking up on firewood this fall. For the year after. I have plenty for the coming winter and it’s dry. Also will stock fuel if the price is right. If it can go lower as in deflation someone will try to jack the price in a panic buy move. China can only have so many tankers sitting offshore. The Saudis could come under direct attack in a supply disruption move. If Trump is elected the plutocrats are going to pull the plug. Thugs like Soros think they own the U.S. and it’s people. They are so wrong.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Brulen, China cannot come close to feeding it’s own people. This is why they have been buying so much farmland in Africa. It will not end well for the African people. I believe they have been buying farmland in South America too though to a lesser extent than in Africa. The US can still feed itself and a bunch of others (China being one of the primary purchasers of American foodstuffs). A lot of the imports from China is their buying it here, then processing it there, and then shipping it back. It is amazing that somehow costs less than just processing it here.

Africa for farming has some unique challenges.
    And with the loss of most of the white farmers, the chinks are screwed if they try to get food there.
    Last I knew, the thieves who stole the farms were unable to feed themselves let alone anyone else.
    The chinks stole Africa to rape and pillage the natural resources, the minerals and timber.
    Getting anything out food wise would require displacing the natives entirely.
    Ain’t likely.

No, the chinks will continue to look to the fertile places elsewhere and continue to sell their crap to fund their quest for food.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Selco just brought us right back to basics and the title of this thread – except the word “starts” doesn’t really apply. When it “starts” it will go full-blown very, very quickly, and be a shock even to most that are “prepared.” Excellent new article (and food for reflection) if you haven’t seen it today:

http://shtfschool.com/survival-psychology/usa-looking-in-the-balkans-mirror/

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Usa cant feed itself, if all us oil and gas production was used for farming alone it would not work as usa does not produce enough oil itself to self sustain let alone transport the goods to the market

http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/steo/report/us_oil.cfm

look on right hand side the consumption vs production production is 13.34 million barrels a a day ALL PRODUCTION consumption is 19.6 million a day

http://alternativeenergy.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=001797 notice how much is uses and where there is no way to cut enough so that food production would not be impacted adversely even if you shut everything else down and we know that wont happen.

What is way more scary is look at the 2017 projection the gap is getting worse.

Whirl yes china produces crap lots of it but it also produces the building blocks of our modern world since we out sourced it to there. Think of all the electrical grid we dont make one transformer one generator not one computer chip not one length of wire. Is there anything left but the most small industry left that would grind to a halt without imported items?

Trumps plan a trickle down economy is crap in reality only one way to fix this is high taxes on everything not made local including parts that will bring jobs back because people still want goods, and if you can compete because of a protected market only the local people prosper and to hell with the multi nationals and cartel banking. Get back to what made usa great you still have a chance but not for long and not struggle free but the owners wont let you so you have a choice. They wont let go without a fight and you will be a slave without one so you choose.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Trump is the only answer to the problem in the U. S. A. Oil has been stopped by the Obama presidency. The U. S. A. has more then enough oil. Also high taxes has not worked with Obama for 8 years. In the last 8 years what have we produced? Nothing! Trump’s economy is the right way to go, lower taxes, bring in the 3 to 4 Trillion dollars sitting offshore. Taking out the lop holes in the tax code which Trump plans to do and Hillary plans to keep for all her rich donors. Hillary just like Obama are all talk! They claim that they pull up the taxes on the rich but the real truth is that the rich but the rich are paying ZERO taxes because Obama and Hillary leave all the lop holes in the tax code so more lies from crooked Hillary. Trump told it like it is in the debate, why should he pay taxes when the tax code is setup by Obama and the democratic party for the rich. Hillary is all talk. She says one thing to the public and another in private to Wall Street she says another, like I will keep the tax code with all the lop hole for you.

Trump is not liked by the two parties because he is the only one that will take down the system that is geared for the elites and rich.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Not to discount anything said previously.

One thing to consider is location.
    Deepest darkest Detroit is a completely different story from upstate Maine or panhandle Idaho.

People are different, their lives different.
    People have access to different resources and materials let alone knowledge.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Freedom i can see how you made mistake i said high taxes on non local goods not high taxes on everything. local goods should be helped by zero or near nothing taxes. to rebuild you have to have something without protections new business wont survive rebirth. Only way for a good paying job in a start up is not having to compete against a dollar or less a day in wages, no prison labor that helps companies only the state or city they are in. I Guessed i should have used the proper term importation tariff.

A need to cut the paper work nightmares right now most companies small and medium have one or more people just filling out paper work for government then you have obama care night mare then insert alphabet soup agency then add tax code with 73,954 pages and how are you supposed to know even fraction of that? Tax code should be so simple a 9 year old could file it this monstrosity is what happens when lawyers run amok in government.

Freedom even if you could double the proven reserve (26.5 billion) x2 and pump every last barrel of oil of that 53 billion barrel and you could do it all at once with no energy cost. The usa use 7.08 billion per year and climbing at best on proven reserves you have 3-4 years if on optimistic you have 7-8 you really think usa could transition that fast? I would think not.

Then you ask where the tax base will come from well have you ever heard of CAFR
    Look it up they the trillions hidden time to spend it on those who put it in there not into some politicians pocket.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of namelus namelus.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of namelus namelus.
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.