Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

It is all running down the economy. It has got a ripple effect through out all the bussiness, education sectors.

Stuff I ‘m busy with (Except working hard to keep the business, clients and employees happy)
    Mapping out areas that are no go zones, starting from my immediate living and working area. It used to be just some roads you only ignore at night, others only weekends when people are drunk, others sometimes just for period of time during unrest/strike. I am changing now to different level of Danger zones to different degrees for future reference. This map goes with population estimates throughout SA.
    Then I would like to map out areas according to resources for water and food.
    And while I’m doing this in my spare time in front of my computer and map books, I’m staring out the car window at all the barriers next to the freeways and finding new routes with applications on my phone. Some applications feeding live traffic making route planning a bit easier for now. So many things I should have done a long time ago… like getting out of the city

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Leopard, in your opinion is there a safe place to go to in SA, be it temporary or permanent, or are the options limited to just places that are somewhat safer than where you are now?

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

It seems that the trend line is towards more potential trigger points rather than fewer and so I have found myself thinking about this general topic again. Of course what actions are possible depends upon what SHTF scenario has occurred. What actions I take would also depend upon where am I and where are my kids when it occurs. There are so many possible iterations that it is impossible to have a specific plan for every eventuality but thinking through some scenarios will benefit you for many others. One item that would hold true for almost every scenario, assuming you are not sitting in the middle of the event itself, is not to sit transfixed in front of the TV watching talking heads show the same video clip over and over again. I remember wasting hours doing that at the time of 9/11 thinking new info would be forthcoming. Most people will sit transfixed in front of the TV and won’t be thinking through the implications and so those early hours are when we should be on the move doing whatever it is we’re going to do. If the scenario is a series of unfolding events it would be good for a designated person to monitor it on behalf of the group and pass along pertinent developments. In my case I’d look to my wife to do that while tending some chores while she can just in case the grid subsequently goes down. Catch up on the laundry, run the dishwasher, and start filling the empty gallon water jugs I’ve saved, all things that can be done while monitoring the news and the grid is still up. After calling the kids and giving them input on actions to take, I’d head out to a couple stores and also fill the gas tanks. I’d also place an order for more cord wood to be delivered just in hopes it can during that window that folks haven’t realized the implications of what has just occurred. If per chance it happened while my daughter & family were visiting, I have them leave the kids with my wife while one of them goes to a department store buying clothes and similar supplies being they’d not have brought much with them for a week’s visit, and take the other with me to the grocery store to stock up on food and such for the kids (1 & 3 years old). The little details can matter and for example I’d have the kids put their vehicles with their out of state plates in the garage and leave our vehicles outside. Up here out of state plates would be interpreted by some to be softer targets and so why encourage anyone in that regard.

Anyway this is a start on the topic hopefully.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, If the grid goes down then it must be one of two things. 1. An EMP attack 2. A part of the grid got taken down.

1 (EMP)would be very bad and your wife would need to filling the empty gallon water jugs ASAP since the water would run for maybe one to three hours before it stops. It would also mean the cars would not work so your kids would have a har time getting to your house.

2 (part of the grid is taken down) this still meant one to three hours to get as much water as you can. But this also means your kids cars maybe working. You need to see if your car turns on. This means it is not an EMP. There is a lot of planning going on with cyber attacks too. Were your car works but all the electricity is down. It maybe all the internet is down and the mobile phone will not work to. The good thing about a cyber attack is that your car works, if you have a solar generator you will be able to power the fridge. Gas tanks for cooking is good for the two so a gas range is a good idea.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

If the grid were down our water wouldn’t be flowing right then and there being we’re on our own well. I keep a couple hundred gallons of bottled water in the basement. We thus wouldn’t have an immediate issue plus I have a hand pump on the well so we’ve got unlimited clean water that does not need filtering (though I have several filters, including a Berkey). We’re on septic so the toilets would keep on working too. It is just that I have saved a couple hundred empty one gallon water bottles in the original 6 gallon boxes for just this eventuality. To the extent we could fill them before the grid went down, all the better, but not a disaster if we couldn’t. Filling them from the hand pump would be on the task list during the initial couple days of calm though.

I have multiple ways of cooking too without the grid……propane, charcoal, and wood.

In many (most?) SHTF scenarios my daughter could never make it being she is 850 miles and a minimum of 5 State border crossings away, 6 or 7 using our normal routes. My son is only 100 miles and 1 State border crossing away so hopefully he could make it.

Currently my mobile phone only works in the Great Room in the house as it is (thanks to a $350 booster), and not outside at all so I might not even notice if it stops working altogether. The land line I would notice.

Another task in the early first days of calm would be moving several cords of wood onto the front porch so that it is there when we need it, minimizing the need to get wood from the wood shed for a period. I’m thinking there might be a period when we’re not looking to venture outdoors any more than we have to.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m hoping there are some precursors that will allow us to make phone calls and get family home before the fall. A last minute shopping spree would be very helpful. I want to board my house up very early after the event and deploy other security measures like motion detection around the perimeter.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker you are doing good with the supplies. I have about 500 gallons of water, a well with hand pump, water filters, have a gas range with about a year or more of gas to cook, two fireplaces, am also on septic.

Cooking inside with the gas range is better for the first year, charcoal, and wood would give a sign to others that there is someone there and cooking. They can smell for miles when they are hungry.

When the electricity goes down there is still pressure in the water system for an one or more, depends on how much water is being used at the time so it is always a good idea to get as much as you can in the last hour.

One thing that I have been thinking about is to have two or three water barrels. Yes they can be used for collecting rain water from the gutters but what I am thinking is my house is two stories so if I use one in a shtf time up on the top floor outside and put piping going down to the bathroom plumbing the pressure may work for the shower.

I think I may try this to test it out.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Neat idea for the shower. Let us know how it works. Of course your water isn’t cold year round…….

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, One thing here in Miami is I have impact hurricane windows and shutters too which I would put up. Here there are not many homes with a fireplace but since my house was built in 1923 it has two fireplaces.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes even in the cold here it still gets sun so if it works the show will not be cold water.

But if this works even in the cold north if you heat some water and put in in the rain barrel it may warm it up some.
    I will post it when I do the work on it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It wouldn’t be difficult to put in a solar hot water heating loop. In northern climates puting a heat exchanger in the fireplace for a hot water loop can be done as well. Natural convection will circulate the water in the loop.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 I have not seen that done with a fireplace, that is interesting. I can do that here too.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

What to do before the shtf is to buy spare parts. For instance my diesel Yamaha generator has an automatic voltage regulator, if that goes it’s dead. I bought one off amazon. We’ll have hot water as long as my gen runs. It’s grounded with a 8 foot pole and has a steel cabinet. Emp proof who knows. If I have to bug out it will sit nicely in my diesel pickup bed next to a 100 gal transfer tank. Another idea I had was to buy a new 100 gal aluminum tank just for short term water storage. Showers and power, the two necessities.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

It wouldn’t be difficult to put in a solar hot water heating loop. In northern climates puting a heat exchanger in the fireplace for a hot water loop can be done as well. Natural convection will circulate the water in the loop.

I’ve thought about it but rejected the idea because it might create more creosote during times I’m trying to get the stove temp up. Getting on the roof to do a winter/spring cleaning of a blocked flu is not fun.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Showers is the thing I would miss the most I think in a post-grid environment. I take a shower as soon as I get up in the morning and then I’ll take another if I do anything that causes me to sweat or get dirty. The threat of lyme disease is another reason I shower and put on clean clothes when I come in from doing any yard work. I generate a lot of laundry that way in the summer.

Brulen is right about spare parts, and I’d extend that to include consumable supplies. For example I try to always have a couple spare chains for my chainsaws plus I save the old ones should the day come that I had to sharpen them instead of just replace them every time they get dull. I set aside several gallons of bar lube for the chainsaws plus enough of the oil blend for making lots of the gas-oil mix for them. It is easy to buy that kind of stuff when it is on sale and then forget about it. It’ll be there when you need it. I keep 60 gallons of gas in 5 gallon containers that I rotate through each season mowing the lawn (I use 3 gallons each time I mow). Come an ongoing SHTF I wouldn’t waste gas mowing the lawn anymore but I would be set for lots of chainsawing once I can’t buy wood cut split & delivered anymore. My goal is to have a 2 year supply of wood so as to not have that task be an immediate one however. That’s a struggle at the moment because I’m being nice to a young guy in the National Guard that is trying to make a few extra bucks. Thus far he hasn’t been able to get me all the wood I want when I want it but he keeps saying he’ll get it to me. I have enough for next winter currently but I want wood for the one after that too. My wood shed can hold two year’s worth.

Because I have tried setting aside all sorts of stuff I might need, I don’t see myself needing to do a mad scramble shopping spree but I would look to get a bit more cash, fresh fruits, veggies, and meats, some comfort food, and anything that happens at that moment in time to be on my shopping to do list. I suppose I’d go to the hardware store for a few things too.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.