Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

lonewolf, Yes and there will be the criminals that will kill for food and try to find the people that stored food. There will be some guns coming out that were hidden for years.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I’ve just been having an online conversation on an English(non prepping)forum with a guy who served in the forces, he said they did an experiment to see how long someone could last without their supplies being replaced, in different circumstances and climates, he called it the “12 day rule” that being the average, he said it would be 7 days in the UK in winter, maybe 9 days in a warmer climate.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I think there are 2 main reasons why there are those that welcome a SHTF event. Here is the short and sweet of it.
    1. Boys trapped in men’s bodies that still need to prove to themselves they have what it takes to survive.
    2. (I think this holds true in America at least) People are tired of the long drawn out process of change our laws require. Writing to elected officials who don’t listen. Officials following special interest groups wishes. They are frustrated. A SHTF event would overthrow TPB and in the long run people hope strong responsible people will prevail. It was mentioned earlier if you take responsibility for yourself and work to live you may just make it. No more handouts.

As far as last minute preps. I would top a few things off, pull my last bit off cash out, and then take care of some dental work I had been putting off while trying to buy more preps. I would hate to die in SHTF because of a bad tooth I could have gotten taken care of in good times.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

yes, the power grid is the weak link, if that goes, well I’ve heard a sheeple say during a minor power cut “its like living in the dark ages”! just imagine how they will feel when it goes off for good. most will not cope and the suicide rate will climb, add in starvation, disease and dehydration and the corpses will soon stack up. maybe I’m looking forward to it, maybe not, but at least it will be different, I have never liked modern life, people have become nasty and rude with no redeeming features and I don’t have anything to do with them, or as little as I have to. sure it will be hell for anyone who lives in a city when the power goes off and the food stops being delivered, but we need a reduction in the population numbers and a clean out of the gene pool, lets get rid of the hangers on, the lazy and the benefit scroungers, post SHTF if people don’t work to survive they don’t survive its as simple as that.if it takes SHTF to accomplish that then so be it.

lonewolf, you clearly have a dim view of people and the world as it now exists and that is your perogative, but know that even if the billions that you don’t think are worthy of living were to meet their demise, that your life will also be decidedly less pleasant as well. Living remotely will not keep refugees from coming your way and it will only take one of them being smarter or luckier than you to take you out too. A simple illness or accident could do it as well when there is no modern medical care available. Come a collapse, luck will matter just as much as skill, fitness, and supplies. Maybe more.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

People are tired of the long drawn out process of change our laws require. Writing to elected officials who don’t listen. Officials following special interest groups wishes. They are frustrated. A SHTF event would overthrow TPB and in the long run people hope strong responsible people will prevail. It was mentioned earlier if you take responsibility for yourself and work to live you may just make it. No more handouts. – See more at: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/when-it-starts-to-fall-apart/page/3/#post-34522

Matt76, I have read again and again similar sentiments but I think it is unrealistic to somehow assume that out of the collapse will come something better. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps eventually something better would but it would be hell on earth getting there. In many areas there will still be handouts. They’ll just be coming from folks like you and me to the local warlord who acts as judge and jury. Think of how many brutal dictators and corrupt govts have been overthrown only to be replaced with something far more brutal and far more corrupt.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, That is the question, what will we get if there is a civil war. Will the country be divided? Will we get a dictator? We just do not know. Will we even have a constitution?

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

All of the above most likely. The innocent die just as easily as the guilty in wars, and the suffering goes on long after the fighting stops. I think part of the problem that encourages some to hope it happens is that Hollywood sanitizes and glorifies wars, and the good guys virtually always win. Real wars are messy and sometimes the bad guy wins. It comes down to who was stronger/smarter/luckier, not who was right or who was good.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>

yes, the power grid is the weak link, if that goes, well I’ve heard a sheeple say during a minor power cut “its like living in the dark ages”! just imagine how they will feel when it goes off for good. most will not cope and the suicide rate will climb, add in starvation, disease and dehydration and the corpses will soon stack up. maybe I’m looking forward to it, maybe not, but at least it will be different, I have never liked modern life, people have become nasty and rude with no redeeming features and I don’t have anything to do with them, or as little as I have to. sure it will be hell for anyone who lives in a city when the power goes off and the food stops being delivered, but we need a reduction in the population numbers and a clean out of the gene pool, lets get rid of the hangers on, the lazy and the benefit scroungers, post SHTF if people don’t work to survive they don’t survive its as simple as that.if it takes SHTF to accomplish that then so be it.

lonewolf, you clearly have a dim view of people and the world as it now exists and that is your perogative, but know that even if the billions that you don’t think are worthy of living were to meet their demise, that your life will also be decidedly less pleasant as well. Living remotely will not keep refugees from coming your way and it will only take one of them being smarter or luckier than you to take you out too. A simple illness or accident could do it as well when there is no modern medical care available. Come a collapse, luck will matter just as much as skill, fitness, and supplies. Maybe more.

I don’t agree that my life would be less pleasant, if I was someone who cannot live without technology and had to have loads of people around me I would agree with you, I am not, I have always been a solitary person, stood on my own two feet and lived a bit removed from others. most British people will not become refugee’s, they are more likely to have their hands out waiting for the government to provide, we have a saying here it goes “from cradle to grave” that is how much many people rely on government help, in a life changing event they will be helpless. sure a few will roam but a few can be dealt with.within a few days of running out of their meagre food supply most will be too weak to “roam” very far. I agree if your in a city then you’ve probably got a bit of a problem, but further out? not so much.i think I maybe in a unique position here, I don’t see any other Brits on here(although I refer to myself as ENGLISH rather than as a Brit) and I believe the modern UK population will react differently to the average American, I also don’t subscribe to the “golden hoard” theory-as least not in the UK-I think its a good story and might sell a few books(JWRawles springs to mind) but I think it is just that a good story and not based on any fact or facts.

British Survivalist.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

lonewolf, maybe the English are different than Americans, but I suspect that people with hungry children will do whatever it takes to feed their children no matter where they live. Desperate people do desperate things. Even if the English just sat there and died quietly and politely, which I doubt, but if they did, in my world it is still not something to look forward to. I will do what I can to save me and mine and a few others too if I can, but I hope it never comes to that.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

the difference between us is I don’t care, I’ve always said if I woke up tomorrow and I was “last man standing” I would be very happy, in fact it is my ambition.

British Survivalist.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

MountainBiker, a few things I am doing at the moment. With the electricity going on and off.. .I’m using Surge protection in the wall sockets to protect most of my appliances against power surges (and lightning) I am going through everything on my computer. Printing and filing the important stuff. Information that I might need like HAM radio info that is online – I copy and paste onto my computer ready to print.
    I’ve been hoping to post parcels to my bol- but with the post office not really functional anymore I might need to wait a few more weeks or not post it at all and drive.
    I am also having more meetings with some friends. We discuss our preparations – share tomato plants : ) That is happening more often and more in public.. People are talking about things happening openly. At this stage in my area people are preparing to be without electricity, water and food. They are not discussing being attacked yet.
    Some people are moving, some immigrating. Selling everything, saying their goodbyes. Others are simply trying to survive already. A lot of people not coping and really battling to keep their vehicles, houses. Many people are home schooling their children this year.
    People are keen to read and learn. They are asking a lot of questions. Where to go, the biggest question.
    I am planning on giving the dentist a visit next month. And sadly putting things in place with my business – selling some contracts and making sure everything possible is in place for longer period of no electricity. My clients are putting ClearVu fences around their properties. I’ve got extra batteries for ham radios at all locations. Also three different mobile network sim cards.. . for our networks also fading
    I’ve realised that I cannot trust some people that has shown their true colours. I was fairly shocked at first, but now I am glad that I know how they feel and can make better decisions. When times get tuff, that is when you will get to know your true friends.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Leopard, I pray for you. You are going though the start of a collapse there. Please keep posting and letting us know how you are doing when you have electricity.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The Post Office not functioning? What happened with that?

What you are saying is encouraging in one sense in that people are waking up to the situation and taking some action. At the same time it is terrifying that the situation has reached that point. It sounds like you have a handle on your personal situation and are being a help to others. That is a good thing. Just do what you have to do.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

The South African Post Office went on strike twice last year. The last strike lasted longer than 3 months. With parcels to the roof people started going to main hubs to try and retrieve their own. After the last strike ended, people reported that the postal workers are walking over the parcels. That everything is a very big mess that would take a very long time to sort out.
    On Facebook, people ask who might be traveling in this or that direction to deliver parcels. Companies last year started sending invoices via email and posted invoices is almost a thing of the past. Or like Woolworth’s will send you a link to your cellular phone, were you can see your invoice on internet. Companies also mention that they do not make use of South African Post Office on their websites. You need to pay that little extra for private courier services.
    Unfortunately some places in SA are so remote that courier services do not cover that area : (

http://livingseeds.co.za/shipping-information

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Technology (onlinebill paying, email etc) has greatly diminished the role of the Post Office and UPS & Fedex provide near universal coverage, but a reasonably well functioning postal system is still one of the bedrocks of a 1st world nation. It meets many needs for which UPS/Fedex aren’t cost effective and for which technology either isn’t the best solution or isn’t the preferred solution. That it isn’t well functioning in SA is another large clue of SA’s descending from 1st world status.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.