Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

c wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that some preppers are almost wishing for the end of the world as we know it. It’s almost like they can’t wait for civilization to fail apart. It’s like they are just waiting to “be all they can be” which might include being plunders and murders.

This aspect of the prepper/survivalist world has always troubled me. I think folks who have those sentiments either have an overly inflated sense of their own capabilities, or more likely, they just haven’t thought through what they seemingly wish for really means. No matter how bad some may think current conditions are, these are the days of milk and honey compared to a collapse scenario.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I suppose the Aztecs, the Mayans, the Pharohs, the ancient Greeks, and the Romans (remember them?) all thought that their civilisations were going to last forever, we are no different, anyone who thinks we have come too far too fail is living in “cloud cuckoo land”, we just have further to fall that is all. we have 3 core systems in the western world, power/electricity, banking & finance and telecommunications, the failure of any one of these will bring about the collapse of the other 2 within weeks perhaps even days, that in turn will bring about the collapse of civilisation as we know it. not believing it will happen is not going to stop it from happening.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

C,
    I changed the time frame and circumstances to make the choices easier to understand. If collapse is imminent does 10 days or 30 days make a difference? Would it be the buyers fault if the credit card companies fail before they can collect? The seller usually gets their money 3 days after the purchase is reported. Maybe the seller really could use the money as much as you need the goods.

“I thought one of the reasons for having religious or moral believes was to “sustain” a person during “bad times” -C
    If your answer is to let your child die to support your moral convictions then I question the validity of your morality.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

lonewolf, nobody is saying it can’t happen or won’t happen. What was said is that some hope it will happen and seemingly look forward to it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“These are the days of milk and honey compared to a collapse scenario” MtB
    Indeed the toiling and suffering will be immense.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, “Coming back to that last preps run, mine would include a bit of frivolity. In addition to picking up fresh fruit and veggies knowing it’ll be a while before I’d get any again, I’d buy some good junk food…..cake, ice cream, cookies potato chips…given who knows when I’d get that again and then get a take-out pizza for that night’s dinner from my favorite place. Some last hurrah comfort food on the way out.”

I think your idea is great. The junk food that the kids like are something I didn’t have on my list but will add since like you said they may not have that for a long time. I would do the take out pizza too. Buy some good frozen pizza. The Electricity may stay on for the first month so some frozen foods will be OK.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“The failure of any one of these will bring about the collapse of the other 2 within weeks perhaps even days, that in turn will bring about the collapse of civilization as we know it. not believing it will happen is not going to stop it from happening”- lonewolf

Well it took 500 years of diminished central control for the Roman Empire to end. It was more of a transition to localized power and authority more than anything else. Rome ultimately lost it’s tax and resource base. As Whirly often says “The Slow Grind”

If the grid fails that is entirely a different matter.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Stage 5 …. he got that wrong. Families disband and the stronger members unite to prey on the supposedly weaker ones. So far that has been my experience with my wife’s family. But they had no idea who we are as people. They thought we were simple country oofs who they could walk on whenever they felt like it. So now they are minus a BOL or any help from us at all.

As far as stocking up there comes a point where we realized we have what we have and short of all out conversion to cash and heading to Canada there isn’t much more we can do. One more trip to the meat store or buying a few bottles of everclear and thats it. I was just reading Rawles book on survival tools and decided a trip to home depot might help with some more hand tools. Our propane is buy on demand. We use 40 pound tanks instead of big ones for cooking, 10 tanks lasts us a year. Our truck and genny are diesel. We store enough for years of use at a scarcity level. Gas would be a problem for atv but it might be possible to convert it to propane. And we burn wood for heat. The grid stock banking conglomeration could go away without hardly a ripple for us. Except for the economic crash that would certainly follow with people losing their minds being without their happy pills and caffeine. Chocolate bars tea and hard candy are very valuable as goodies for small trades or making friends. What do people want? You just have to ask. There are supplies of almost everything nearby for people to buy or loot. And there’s 24/7 cop protection on it. But its still good to have a BO plan jic. You never know what could happen in a martial law situation. Jericho revisited.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

“I changed the time frame and circumstances to make the choices easier to understand. If collapse is imminent does 10 days or 30 days make a difference? Would it be the buyers fault if the credit card companies fail before they can collect?”

74, I have stated before I do not have a crystal ball or the ear of God. I don’t know what the future will bring… Though it is true I have a very good chance of predicting 10-30 days in the future during normal times… BUT during a black swan event… forget-it!

74, during a black swan event or a SHFT event, I will live as much as I can as I do today. Today, I protect and provide for my family. After SHFT I will protect and provide for my family as well as I am able. Today, I avoid being a plunder or murder. After SHFT I will avoid being a plunder or murder, even if that means I die or my family dies. That is my choice. Your choice may be different.

Go at it. Be the last man standing… You will have the world all to yourself filled with the demons of your dead.

“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    “Gas would be a problem for atv but it might be possible to convert it to propane”

If you convert it to run on alcohol you can make you own from wood or grain and have an endless supply. Admittedly with less hp then gas.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

An example of the slow decline is South Africa. The grid and public water supply are slowly failing. Crime and civil disorder are slowly increasing. Thus far the pace of those changes is such that their society has been able to incrementally adjust to the new normal. I think the issue in large part of the rest of us is what the pace of systemic failures is. Too fast and it can all come tumbling down. A slow pace can be adjusted to and the process could indeed go on for a very long time. My thinking is about what do we do with a more rapid scenario.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“You will have the world all to yourself filled with the demons of your dead” Where do you get this idea? Somehow you equate using a credit card to stealing and then add plunder and murder. Very imaginative I must say.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtB,
    Sorry about the thread theft……

It would seem that we are in a slow stage now. Yesterday a report was released that US business failures exceed new business start ups for the first time in US history.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

c, I do not agree with you, God did not say anywhere in the Bible that we must not defend our self’s from evil. Also the World in the end will be cleanse by Jesus of all demons. God wants us to prepare by storing food, water not only for our self’s and family members but to help others that believe in him and weapons that will help us defend all theat is good. Yes we need to not just kill anyone. But we need to be clear that all that will try to harm us we will defend our self’s.

Where in the Bible have you read God ordering his people to stand down and not defend them self from the evil one? God has ordered his people to destroy evil many time.

c, I understand parts of what you stand for but study this, we are God army and I am proud of that.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>“The failure of any one of these will bring about the collapse of the other 2 within weeks perhaps even days, that in turn will bring about the collapse of civilization as we know it. not believing it will happen is not going to stop it from happening”- lonewolf

Well it took 500 years of diminished central control for the Roman Empire to end. It was more of a transition to localized power and authority more than anything else. Rome ultimately lost it’s tax and resource base. As Whirly often says “The Slow Grind”

If the grid fails that is entirely a different matter.

yes, the power grid is the weak link, if that goes, well I’ve heard a sheeple say during a minor power cut “its like living in the dark ages”! just imagine how they will feel when it goes off for good. most will not cope and the suicide rate will climb, add in starvation, disease and dehydration and the corpses will soon stack up. maybe I’m looking forward to it, maybe not, but at least it will be different, I have never liked modern life, people have become nasty and rude with no redeeming features and I don’t have anything to do with them, or as little as I have to. sure it will be hell for anyone who lives in a city when the power goes off and the food stops being delivered, but we need a reduction in the population numbers and a clean out of the gene pool, lets get rid of the hangers on, the lazy and the benefit scroungers, post SHTF if people don’t work to survive they don’t survive its as simple as that.if it takes SHTF to accomplish that then so be it.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.