Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Inspired from another thread but needs to branch out on it’s own. It’s accepted that ‘It’s best to own a gun’, but there are many many people faced with the issue that firearms ownership is either;

a) Not possible
    or
    b) Possible, but not for self defence purposes or covert carry.

(I personally am in the later group)

It would be great to hear from those in this situation as to what alternative tactics, strategies etc they have or train in, in the absence of being able to carry a firearm. Naturally we are looking more at the self defence side of things.

Personally I look a lot at threat assessment and mitigation as the first ‘layer of defence’, and depending on circumstances, life style, location and situation build more specific defensive strategies from there.

What about you…?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Toby!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay, first one has to identify what is legal is such a location.

All too often, if a firearm is illegal or impractical, the other decent options such as expandable batons (ASP), knives, saps or blackjacks, OC/pepper spray and such are often just as illegal if not more so.

Options? Hows your health? Need a cane to walk with? Certain canes scream weapon, especially those with an impractical metal head that one couldn’t actually lean on or walk with. However a good ‘blackthorne’ or heavy hooked/crook’d cane can be monsterously effective. And can be doctor prescribed.

You want to create distance between you and the bad guy, other options include a padlock locked in the middle of a large handkerchief (for your bicycle) or a ‘monkeys knot’ (practicing knot tying).

A heavy buckled belt can be surprisingly effective but as with everything esle so far is of limited range.

Around the home, the options change, that axe used to split wood, that hatchet for splitting kindling, your target bow, your sword and buckler that go with your membership in the society for anachronistic living, etc.

Martial artist? Take up the escrima/kali sticks.
    Take nightly classes so you always have a reason for having them with you.
    The bo (staff) works great but doesn’t fit in a backpack.

All else fails, a handful of sand in the eyes will mess someone up as long as they’re not wearing tight fitting sunglasses.

Think outside the box, interview local LE to get their opinions and ideas. And good luck.

Me, I’ll stick to my .45 and a good fighting knife.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

We did have a similar discussion with our northen brethren in Canada. My favorite is a long handled garden tool like a sharp spade. I glad I’m not dependent on that strategy though.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

bo stick or quarterstaff is a good thing to learn , as walking around , you can probably find something on the ground to fit the bill . Downside , they need room to swing effectively . Short swords , very fast and deadly , I recommend the celtic leaf blade .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Most places walking around with a sword is going to be trouble, but dress like a construction worker, jeans, boots & a hard hat, you could carry any tool with you, everywhere you want to go.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I was talking about in the home . But yeah , a framing hammer would be bad news for a perp .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ya in the home a short sword would be a tremendous tool. It might be a go to jail item in a lot of places though. After shtf definitely something to have.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

There is a lot of information out there about improvised weapons. Some good some bad. Whirli hit on a really good one with the belt. I live in Texas and big belt buckles are normal. They might stick out a little in New York though lol. I have seen several bar fights where they were used….not pretty. I actually used one to detour a big dog that came after me. It helped me keep him at a distance. Learning improvised weapons is a great advantage. You don’t necessarily have to be carrying something to defend yourself or you can carry something that no one will see as a weapon. When skillfully used a rolled up magazine can inflict enough damage to at least let you get away from someone. Michael Janich has some good info on this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUjX3KggFU

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The FBI stats shows that more were killed with baseball bats and hammers then with rifles so a good hammer or a baseball bat.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

can you buy a flare gun?

if this is not available in a confined quarters consider roman scutum wide enough in hall they can not pass or hit you they reach you use the edge of shield to mangle appendage. With a blade in other you can twist shield and stab at your leisure once you know how to twist your body. never forget blade is not your primary weapon with this set up the shield is, battering and crushing any exposed part. Think how much agony a 3/4 inch ply wood wood sheet would do if you metal rimed it and put your weight behind a foot hit. If you wanted to go further you can buy a police riot shield but most of those to heavy and are more ballistic stops.

to use a sword shield combo is HARD work 2 mins of hard fighting will have most wheezing and gasping

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Context is key and I already see we are drifting away from it in this thread. HYPER specific scenarios with tightly confined ‘solutions’ is not the way forwards imho… Just read this GREAT article which highlights a key part of the problem… While it does look at ‘firearms solutions’ it does blend nicely with my question here…

http://handguncombatives.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/they-dont-think-like-you-do.html?m=1

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

In addition, I literally just pulled this off my FB feed, parenthesise additions are mine…

I like Rory’s(Miller) question, ‘You’ve spent years learning how to defend yourself, but how much time have you spent learning how crime happens?”

It’s a precursor for understanding Peyton’s (Quinns) “Ingenious solution to non-existent problems” and my (Marc MacYoung) “Fantasy solutions to fantasy problems” observations — about what is being taught as self-defense.

Once you know how crime and violence happen you look at much of what is being taught as SD/ DT/WSD/combatives and the politest thing you can say is “WTF?”

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby, good article. Criminals act without inhibitors removing hesitations. They normally still have fear of being injured, consequently they attack when they feel they have an advantage. Take that away and it reduces the likelihood of an attack.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Absolutely right 74, if you take there advantage the likelihood of the criminal attacking is reduced. The criminals here in the cities work like hunters. They wait for the right time to attack, a single girl, an older person, a mother with a child in there hand, you driving up to your house from a grocery or shopping center and so on.

Toby C, The article is 100% right. Many do not understand the criminals mind. Criminals will act fast like a hunter that does not want to lose the hunted animal. They wait till they know that it will be an easy kill.

I have seen this in the city many times in the last 50 years that I have lived here. Break ins to houses next door in three to five minutes, a women walking by her self and seen a jogger go by and take her gold chain were it happen so fast I didn’t even see the guys face. So yes it happens when you are asleep and not waiting for anything to happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.